No announcement yet.

13 Worst Diet Wreckers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The differences between HFCS and sucrose are smaller than the similarities.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      Coke is all sugar with 0g of fat, so that statement is wrong. Sugar on its own is easy to overeat, people all over the world are doing it at this very moment.
      True enough, but! Drinking coke all day long will stress your body in the sense that you almost continuously push excess sugar in your bloodstream. Insulin will be required most of the time (a highly artificial situation) and as soon as you eat something with fats (mac n cheese, chips, ice cream, anything with fats), this high insulin environment will make the fats go to your adipose storage.
      The body in this case tries to get rid of the excess sugar but you can't if you keep guzzling coke. The problems hit hard when you start to eat something with fats throughout the day.

My point is: you just don't survive on coke, you probably eat something as well during the day. If you only drank sugary coke and ate nothing else, you would be quickly fucked up ...

So the statement is not wrong, because nobody ingests coke only.

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
        Coke is HFCS.
        Right, it's grain sugar. We all know that.

LOL, what's with internet people and their nitpicking?

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
          Right, it's grain sugar. We all know that.

LOL, what's with internet people and their nitpicking?
          Because not all sugars are alike. Just like not all fats are alike. Are you recommending for people to eat trans fats?
          JOURNAL..
          @BabesWithBBQ.
          Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
          Professional Style Website.
          #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            The differences between HFCS and sucrose are smaller than the similarities.
            Umm, no, not really.

Carbohydrate Analysis of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) Containing Commercial Beverages -- Wahjudi et al. 24 (1): 562.1 -- The FASEB Journal

Differences Between Pure Cane Sugar & High Fructose Corn Syrup

One of the differences between pure cane sugar and high-fructose corn syrup is that pure cane sugar is not chemically altered during its production process. Manufacturing high-fructose corn syrup involves using chlor-alkali compounds, which can increase the mercury content in high-fructose corn syrup to almost toxic levels. Preparing pure cane sugar for commercial use is a considerably less complex process than procedures used in making high fructose corn syrup.

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
              Coke is HFCS.
              I think there is a lot to this. When I was a kid back in the 50s/60s, Coke (and all sodas) were made with cane sugar. Cokes came in small bottles and we might have one a day if that. We were also running our asses off everywhere and playing. I don't remember any of my friends being fat.

It was when HFCS came into common use and the serving sizes got larger that started hurting people.

The first diet drink I can remember was TAB (holy shit that was nasty tasting stuff). I was lucky if I could drink a whole can without gagging.

I think the fat/sugar combination is spot on for being easy to overeat. Donuts, candy, etc. full of sugar and crappy fats and very easy to pig out on.
              Randal
              AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
              Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
              http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                I think there is a lot to this. When I was a kid back in the 50s/60s, Coke (and all sodas) were made with cane sugar. Cokes came in small bottles and we might have one a day if that. We were also running our asses off everywhere and playing. I don't remember any of my friends being fat.

It was when HFCS came into common use and the serving sizes got larger that started hurting people.

The first diet drink I can remember was TAB (holy shit that was nasty tasting stuff). I was lucky if I could drink a whole can without gagging.

I think the fat/sugar combination is spot on for being easy to overeat. Donuts, candy, etc. full of sugar and crappy fats and very easy to pig out on.
                Yep. Cane sugar is way different. Many on peat report that drinking coffee or "Mexican" coke with cane sugar suppresses their appetite, whereas hfcs increases it (since it's all concentrated fructose).
                JOURNAL..
                @BabesWithBBQ.
                Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                Professional Style Website.
                #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Texas Grok is right on, with the addition that in my case my parents considered Cokes special treats so I don't think I made the 1/day average.
                  Cokes came in small bottles and we might have one a day if that. We were also running our asses off everywhere and playing. I don't remember any of my friends being fat.
                  And portion size: That small bottle TG refers to was 6 oz and made of glass. It went to 10 oz sometime in my youth, I'd guess in the late '50's, and the 6 oz bottle gradually disappeared.
                  The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

A bit off topic, but regarding coke bottle sizes, that's how it still is in NE Asia.

If you order a coke at the restaurant it comes in the mini-can (either the shorty, or the tall-skinny). And then the whole table passes it around and each person gets about 1/3 of a small glass.

When my American friends visit they always seem to comment on the small cans, one actually said "at that size, I will have to order THREE of these", and then he did exactly that.

Comment

I'm glad I've finally been able to kick my raging coke addiction. That is some very nasty stuff & it doesn't matter how good the rest of your diet is if your drinking it!!
                      I used to have about 1 litre or so on a good day.. Often more!! The stupid thing is, while I was cutting back, I had so many people tell me "but your only drinking 1 a day, that's ok"
                      Grrrr no wonder why I'm twice the woman I used to be!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

I was reading ingredients lists today, on food we have around the house. "Lean beef hotdogs" are advertised as a healthier hot dog but have a lot of corn syrup in them. Guess it's not the high fructose sort, but somehow that was still very surprising.

Maybe this isn't relevant but I was looking around for a place to share :P
                        Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

Comment

I don't blame you. Why is there corn syrup in a meat product? Gack.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelli View Post
                            Why is there corn syrup in a meat product?
                            Because in North America corn makes up a large portion of the aggregate food supply, and the population must eat the food supply.

...but since nobody wants to eat a bunch of dry grains they transform it into corn sugar and corn oil, and put it into everything. YUM!

Comment

Great slideshow. I seriously gotta be careful with the chocolate. I've found a brand called Vivani's. They have 85% made with, not only cocoa, but cocoa butter as well. So delicious...

Comment

Haha, seems like a bunch of Cliched Conventional Wisdom Nonsense to me. Doesn't surprise me, Livestrong is a terrible website for health information. They just latch on to whatever the popular belief about food is at the moment.

It's just a bunch of sugar-phobia and calorie-phobia. Funny to be a sugar-phobe in a country that DOESN'T EVEN USE REAL SUGAR. Then they have the nerve to say "All sugars are the same, doesn't matter if it's white sugar, HFCS, honey, etc..." UH, OK.

And food that's high in calories means you need to eat less of it to get the same effect. That's good. Being scared of calories... the thing that gives your body energy... IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the foods on that list are legit bad, but not for the reason they think. Potato chips are fried in seed oils. Storebought ice-cream has like 30 different ingredients in it, lots of seed oils and other random crap. BUT THEY PUT HAAGAN-DAZ on the list - isn't that supposed to be a healthy brand?

And I don't believe many people eat 22 teaspoons of ADDED sugar a day. That seems like a lie. Maybe if they were eating desert with every meal or putting SHIATLOADS of sugar into their coffee.

Comment

Working...
                                X