Best Electric Yogurt Maker Brands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristine Strasburger View Post
    For one gallon of milk I use only two tablespoons of culture. For one quart of sour cream I use only 3/4 teaspoon of culture. I use my last batch of yogurt as a culture for both.
    Interestingly, the recipe I was using called for basically 1/4 volume in yogurt - so a quart to the gallon, basically. Unless I am misremembering.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristine Strasburger View Post
      What can be simpler than dumping milk in a crock pot and heating it up? I guess having a thermostat and timer on the unit would be simpler and more foolproof, especially if you can't be present for a six hour or so stretch during the heating
      !
      Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
      A crock pot is too hot to make yogurt. Perhaps you have done this successfully, but from everything I've read, it would destroy the cultures and you'd just have warm milk at the end.
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
        Interestingly, the recipe I was using called for basically 1/4 volume in yogurt - so a quart to the gallon, basically. Unless I am misremembering.

M.
        Yes, that's what I've always followed. I've made less than 10 batches of yogurt (1/2 gallon of milk to start with each time), but most have been successful. I may try less yogurt starter for the 24 hr batches however. The last one I made ended up with a lot of whey and was kind of curd-y.

Doc, the yogotherm looks great! No electricity needed
        Depression Lies

Comment

I bought the Donvier, it uses all small pots and is nice to have a proper little pot, but a bit of a pain to clean. I think I would have preferred the Yogurmet, and may still pick one up if I am doing it more regularly. I do the coconut milk one, can't tolerate the milk version.
          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            A crock pot is too hot to make yogurt. Perhaps you have done this successfully, but from everything I've read, it would destroy the cultures and you'd just have warm milk at the end.
            I used a crockpot both times for mine. The first time, I didn't get it hot enough and the yogurt bacteria got out-competed. The second time it wasn't a problem at all. The key is to cut it off at the right time, but man oh man does it take forever to reach proper temp in the first place.

M.

Comment

I only use the crock pot to heat the milk to the proper temperature. I check this with a good digital thermometer. The crock pot must be off during the culturing process.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Just finished my first batch of slow cooker yogurt. What a breeze! Now it's straining in the fridge. Fresh greek yogourt with blueberries for breakfast. Yum!

Comment

For the record, the Yogourmet is highly recommended in the Specific Carbohydrate Diet community. Yogurt, or some kind of fermented food, is a big part of their gut recovery instructions. I've thought about getting it to simplify making yogurt, since my homemade water bath method is hit or miss at times.
                  My mom got me this one. I've made one batch so far. Easy to use.

Comment

Working...
                  X