Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article by Dr. Ede re Hypothyroid

Foods that Cause Hypothyroidism » Diagnosis: Diet

Very interesting article. She shows how the prevalence of iodine deficiency may have nothing to do with dietary intake and lots to do with excess intake of other foods that block the uptake of iodine.

Worth a read.

Thanks for the link Paleobird. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's so now I'm reading everything I can about it. I was surprised to see that sweet potatoes are problematic but it does say if they are cooked it lessens their effect. I'm doing autoimmune paleo and it seems like the food choices are pretty limited.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
      Thanks for the link Paleobird. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's so now I'm reading everything I can about it. I was surprised to see that sweet potatoes are problematic but it does say if they are cooked it lessens their effect. I'm doing autoimmune paleo and it seems like the food choices are pretty limited.
      Dr. Ede herself suffers from multiple food intolerances including dairy and nightshades and a bunch of other things. She is very limited in what she can eat and yet manages well on what she calls the MM diet for Mostly Meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Dr. Ede herself suffers from multiple food intolerances including dairy and nightshades and a bunch of other things. She is very limited in what she can eat and yet manages well on what she calls the MM diet for Mostly Meat.
        Oh boy, I really hope that is not the case with me. I keep telling myself that these dietary restrictions are temporary.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if low carb is bad for folks with hypothyroid.

Comment

I've heard it is. But to be honest I'm not clear how low is bad. My TSH shot up while eating low carb but there were other factors that also influenced my numbers.

Comment

Thanks UF. I asked because I keep reading different things. Some say it is bad, some say it's not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tee View Post
                For some people low carb, especially less than 50 grams/day, can inhibit conversion of T4 to T3.

Comment

Thanks UF. I asked because I keep reading different things. Some say it is bad, some say it's not bad.
                  Honestly I think it's more scare tactics than anything.
                  If you read the Dr Ede article, she shoes how high consumption of some very common foods such as cruciferous veggies can lead to hypothyroid. I wonder how much of the "I went Paleo and my thyroid got all messed up" complaints are really about the veggies and have nothing to do with the carb level.

That said yes, the thyroid does downregulate a bit when carbs are lowered. This will not cause problems but if you already have problems it can bring them to light.

Comment

I read it. Info filed in brain. Thank you.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Interesting. But I have a question. She suspects that iodine intake isnt' the problem because many inland animals aren't deformed dwarves. Then she lists a bunch of foods that "block" iodine. But many of those are the plants that these same animals would eat.

Also PB, does this make you re-think seaweed?

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
                        Interesting. But I have a question. She suspects that iodine intake isnt' the problem because many inland animals aren't deformed dwarves. Then she lists a bunch of foods that "block" iodine. But many of those are the plants that these same animals would eat.

Not really... wild animals do not have the access to vast amounts of year round cruciferous veg like we do.
                        They might eat some when they come across it in season, but not nearly in the amounts as they eat a wider variety of plants in their movements.

One of the things that happens when people go low carb is that they often suddenly are eating many times the crucifers than they have ever eaten in their lives before... like truck loads more. Cooked kale, kale shakes, cauliflower "mashed potatoes", broccoli with butter and so on... it can add up to going from eating crucifers rarely to eating them nearly every single day for some people.
                        That can make a difference.

Add in sweet potatoes an some other things that are common daily foods and that adds up too.
                        Last edited by cori93437; 05-29-2013, 02:05 PM.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                          Not really... wild animals do not have the access to vast amounts of year round cruciferous veg like we do.
                          It looked like there were a lot of iodine-blocking plants on that list. But I get your point about the veggies. When I first started, I hedged my bets on Conventional Wisdom with a ton of veggies. Then decided "blech". But I still love b.sprouts, collards and berries.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            I read it. Info filed in brain. Thank you.
                            You're welcome. I love her blog.

For answer to first part see Cori below. Re seaweed, I thought it was interesting that she pointed out how variable the iodine levels can be in one piece of kelp. I don't think it would be a good idea to eat it every day but then there are times when I really crave it. In general though, if you are getting your iodine from natural sources it is much harder to mess up and overdo it because the food comes packaged with all kinds of other things (e.g. fiber in kelp and fat in seafood) that slow down the absorption of the iodine.

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                            They might eat some when they come across it in season, but not nearly in the amounts as they eat a wider variety of plants in their movements.

One of the things that happens when people go low carb is that they often suddenly are eating many times the crucifers than they have ever eaten in their lives before... like truck loads more. Cooked kale, kale shakes, cauliflower "mashed potatoes", broccoli with butter and so on... it can add up to going from eating crucifers rarely to eating them nearly every single day for some people.
                            That can make a difference.

Add in sweet potatoes an some other things that are common daily foods and that adds up too.
                            What is it with the "health halo" around cruciferous veggies?

It looked like there were a lot of iodine-blocking plants on that list. But I get your point about the veggies. When I first started, I hedged my bets on Conventional Wisdom with a ton of veggies. Then decided "blech". But I still love b.sprouts, collards and berries.
                            Which probably won't hurt you in moderation and with sufficient sources of iodine in your diet. Totally agree on the "blech" factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                              Most cases of hypothyroid are caused by Hashi's, which is an AI disease. There is a lot of evidence that gluten intolerance plays a part in the antibodies that attack the thyroid. Many Hashis people are finding that going gluten free makes them feel a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                              X