Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books You Learned the Most From?

Hey everyone!

Very new to Primal living and just have been loving diving into it. I know that Mark has made a few posts over the years about books to read and whatnot, but I wanted to turn to the community and ask what books have you read that you have found the most interesting on the topic of health?

I just started Good Calories Bad Calories, and am loving it so far. I have been able to find an endless number of blogs to keep up with, but I haven't been able to really find a ton of books on my own. So generally, I am looking for any books outside of the primal blueprint series (read em and love love love em) that have added your understanding of how to live a healthier, more fulfilling life. That can concern diet, exercise, general lifestyle, or anything else!

Thanks so much! Can't wait to see the suggestions.

If you like Good Calories Bad Calories, you'd probably really like one of Gary Taubes' other books, Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It. It's a bit more user friendly and has a ton of great information.

Comment

Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas.

Comment

I absolutely loved Taubes' Why We Get Fat. I liked it better than GCBC.
        I feed my healthy cells and starve the rest.

Waist circumference:
        50(start)/40.5(current)/35>(goal)

Comment

This should keep you busy for a while. I guarantee you’ll learn something…

Against The Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization - Richard Manning
          Everyday Paleo: Embracing a Natural Diet & Lifestyle to Increase Your Family's Health, Fitness, and Longevity - Sarah Fragoso
          Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal: War Stories From the Local Food Front - Joel Salatin
          Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal - Eric Schlosser
          Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual - Michael Pollan
          Food, Inc.: A Participant Guide: How Industrial Food is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer-And What You Can Do About It - multiple authors
          Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health - Gary Taubes
          Holy Cows And Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer’s Guide To Farm Friendly Food - Joel Salatin
          In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto - Michael Pollan
          It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways - Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig
          Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival - TS Wiley & Bent Formby
          Pandora’s Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization - Spencer Wells
          Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat - Paul Jaminet & Shou-Ching Shih Jaminet
          Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carb Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health—in Just Weeks! - Michael R. Eades, MD & Mary Dan Eades, MD
          The Botany of Desire: A Plant’s-Eye View of the World - Michael Pollan
          The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals - Michael Pollan
          The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young - Loren Cordain
          The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health - Jason Seib
          The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet - Robb Wolf
          The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy - Mark Sisson
          The Primal Connection: Revive Your Genetic Blueprint, Reclaim Your Health, and Rediscover Peace - Mark Sisson
          The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability - Lierre Keith
          Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health - William Davis, MD
          Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It - Gary Taubes
          Last edited by Mr. Koozie; 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM.
          “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

These are great! Thanks for the responses - I'll dive right in....and any other suggestions always welcome!

Comment

If you like documentary movies, check these out:

Farmageddon
              Fat Head
              Food, Inc.
              Foodmatters
              Hungry For Change
              In Search of the Perfect Human Diet
              Ingredients
              Killer at Large
              King Corn
              The Botany of Desire
              The Future of Food
              “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

If you have already read Good Calories/Bad Calories. I don't see much reason to also read Why We Get Fat, as others have suggested. They are virtually the same book. The only difference is that WWGF is aimed at the general reader while GCBC is far more in depth and technical.
                Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
                Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
                Goal: 160

Comment

Co-sign Perfect Health Diet. Full of truth bombs with no infomercial-y delivery.
                  37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

While not strictly a diet/fitness book (it's actually fiction), I feel that The Gnoll Credo by J. Stanton is a great book about what it means to have a Primal mindset.

Comment

Mr Koozie's list is pretty comprehensive. I second the Michael Pollan recommendations - I just love the way he writes. Robb Wolf's way with words is good too - he makes the science very accessible.

Reading Schlosser at the moment. Wow. Just wow.

I hope you have a good local library which may have many of these books, or be prepared to stock them on your request. My local library has been a goldmine for these kinds of materials; they have purchased everything I have recommended (such as Gedgaudas, Wolf, Davis, Jaminet) and there are clearly a lot of other like-minded Primal enthusiast where I live because these books are always in demand.
                      I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by picklepete View Post
                        Co-sign Perfect Health Diet. Full of truth bombs with no infomercial-y delivery.
                        Totally agree. Perfect Health Diet is the best book on nutriton that I have read. Also I just purchased the video "In Search of the Perfect Human Diet" which is quite good.
                        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                          Mr Koozie's list is pretty comprehensive. I second the Michael Pollan recommendations - I just love the way he writes. Robb Wolf's way with words is good too - he makes the science very accessible.

Reading Schlosser at the moment. Wow. Just wow.

I hope you have a good local library which may have many of these books, or be prepared to stock them on your request. My local library has been a goldmine for these kinds of materials; they have purchased everything I have recommended (such as Gedgaudas, Wolf, Davis, Jaminet) and there are clearly a lot of other like-minded Primal enthusiast where I live because these books are always in demand.
                          My library too. They buy everything that I request. Thanks to me my local library is turning into Paleo Central. What's cool is that these books that I recommended are usually checked out. I'm still waiting for them to get the DVD for In Search of the Perfect Human Diet.

I put the Pollan books in there because I've read them all and his books were my introduction to health and nutrition years ago. I read Pollan long before I ever discovered Sisson, Wolf, Cordain, etc. And I like Pollan's writing style.
                          Last edited by Mr. Koozie; 04-07-2013, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            While not strictly a diet/fitness book (it's actually fiction), I feel that The Gnoll Credo by J. Stanton is a great book about what it means to have a Primal mindset.
                            All I know about J. Stanton is that he wrote this wonderful piece.
                            It sums up paleo so well! I've been using it as my go-to guide for staying on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
                              All I know about J. Stanton is that he wrote this wonderful piece.
                              It sums up paleo so well! I've been using it as my go-to guide for staying on track.
                              Indeed. That "Eat like a predator, not like prey", article was one of the first things I read where all the bits and pieces of Primal sort of gelled into one comprehensive whole.

Comment

Working...
                              X