Books You Learned the Most From?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the suggestions so far. A few to add that you may also enjoy (I did):

"Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat" by Deborah Krasner
    "The Butcher's Guide to Well-Raised Meat" By Applestone, Applestone and Zissu
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
      Totally agree. Perfect Health Diet is the best book on nutriton that I have read. Also I just purchased the video "In Search of the Perfect Human Diet" which is quite good.
      +1. Just everything in The Perfect Health Diet is correct.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

It doesn't get much love around here, but The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler is probably tied for me with the PB as the best book on diet and health in general (although I don't like the exercise recommendations). People who think the Warrior Diet is a few hundred pages of talking about a 20 hour fast are like those who think the Primal Blueprint is just Atkins 3.0. It's not a scientific reference book and Ori gets knocked for some of his claims, but the information on estrogenic compounds and testosterone enhancement is worth the price of the book alone. And like Mark recommends, try it and see for yourself-- if it doesn't work you can just laugh at Ori's recommendations.

It is such a comprehensive book, and I loved even some of the obscure things about it, like Ori's opinions on romanticism and the "warrior lifestyle". It has changed me as much as anything else I have ever read.

Comment

It shouldn’t matter that it doesn’t get much love around here if it is working for you. Robb Wolf likes to say that if you are able to find something that works for you, you ride that wagon until the wheels fall off. Sound advice. Strict paleo works the best for me, and that’s not exactly primal. If someone were a vegan and it actually worked great for them I’d be okay with that. Kudos to you Dickson if the Warrior Diet works for you. Stick with it!
          “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Dickson View Post
            It doesn't get much love around here, but The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler is probably tied for me with the PB as the best book on diet and health in general (although I don't like the exercise recommendations). People who think the Warrior Diet is a few hundred pages of talking about a 20 hour fast are like those who think the Primal Blueprint is just Atkins 3.0. It's not a scientific reference book and Ori gets knocked for some of his claims, but the information on estrogenic compounds and testosterone enhancement is worth the price of the book alone. And like Mark recommends, try it and see for yourself-- if it doesn't work you can just laugh at Ori's recommendations.

It is such a comprehensive book, and I loved even some of the obscure things about it, like Ori's opinions on romanticism and the "warrior lifestyle". It has changed me as much as anything else I have ever read.
            I do the warrior diet. I tried doing it once before going Primal and it didn't work. Just led to overstuffing during the one mealtime. But, since i have been ketogenic, I have drifted back to it naturally. This time it doesn't feel forced as in, "What time is ti? Can I eat yet?" It just doesn't occur to me to eat more than once a day.

I've never read the whole book but I would like to. Do you happen to know if it is out on Kindle?

Comment

Everyone Poops - by Taro Gomi
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

superb suggestions to consider here with us. i suddenly liked it a lot...
                Last edited by AureliaWaterman; 05-21-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

In addition to the books already listed, I liked "Deep nutrition" by Catherine Shanahan.

Also, another vote for "The Gnolls Credo" by J. Stanton. I'm rereading it now.
                  Randal
                  AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                  Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                  http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    I do the warrior diet. I tried doing it once before going Primal and it didn't work. Just led to overstuffing during the one mealtime. But, since i have been ketogenic, I have drifted back to it naturally. This time it doesn't feel forced as in, "What time is ti? Can I eat yet?" It just doesn't occur to me to eat more than once a day.

I've never read the whole book but I would like to. Do you happen to know if it is out on Kindle?
                    I have The Warriot Diet on Kindle, so it is out.

Nobody has mentioned Practical Paleo. It's basically a Paleo biology primer with targeted meal plans and recipes. If I could only have one Primal or Paleo book, sorry Mark, but it would be Practical Paleo.
                    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

its encyclopedia and britannica
                      Last edited by AureliaWaterman; 05-21-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

the complete series of britannica
                        life and science
                        animal kingdom
                        Last edited by AureliaWaterman; 05-21-2013, 12:33 AM.

Comment

The Protein Power Lifeplan by Drs. Michael R. and Mary Dan Eades.

Lots of scientific explanations. And if it gets too technical, each chapter has a wrap up breaking things down.

Chapter 4 on cholesterol is pretty freaking awesome.

I didn't follow any of the diet parts, but loved how they explained everything.
                          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82833.html

Comment

Some of my favorite nutrition themed books-

-The Alternate Day Diet by Dr. James Johnson (about alternate day intermittent fasting-the plan I followed to lose 40ish lbs)
                            -The Fast Diet by Dr. Michael Mosley (about the 5:2 intermittent fasting plan-some good info on IF and its potential health benefits)
                            -Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata-loved this book! It's about the history of the dieting industry, and goes in depth about studies that have been done/are ongoing about dieting and obesity.

Recipe books-

-Everyday Paleo : [embracing a natural diet & lifestyle to increase your family's health, fitness, and longevity], by Sarah Fragoso
                            - 4 Ingredients : more than 400 quick, easy, and delicious recipes using 4 or fewer ingredients by Kim McCosker (this is not a primal recipe book, but there's lots of primal friendly recipes in it, or ones I was able to easily modify. She also has a 4 ingredient gluten free recipe book and I have a library hold on it right now).
                            -30-minute get real meals : eat healthy without going to extremes by Rachel Ray (normally I'm not a fan of hers, but this recipe book is decent. Its got a low carb slant and many of the recipes were primal friendly or easy to modify)

Exercise books-

I absolutely love Mark Lauren's strength training book, Body By You (for women, his one for men is You Are Your Own Gym). I've been doing it for just over a month and I can see a noticeable difference in my upper arms, shoulders, back and bum. And it's only three days a week for 3o minutes a time!
                            Last edited by mom23kids; 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM. Reason: added books
                            *Sara*

Comment

I've scrolled through this with interest. I'd like to know if anyone has any specifically UK/European recommendations? The landscape of food here is really quite different to the US, and it can be frustrating reading facts that have no bearing on your own country! No More Dirty Looks, which is about green beauty, is a good example of this. A great book, but after reading all the abhorrent facts, it will often say - however in Europe this isn't the case, they have XYZ laws to prevent this. I never know how many facts when it comes to agriculture, animal treatment, etc, are applicable over here.
                              6 May 2014 - 149lbs
                              15 May 2014 - 143lbs
                              Goal - Healthy, lean, happy, somewhere around 9 stone.

Comment

But I Deserve This Chocolate
                                50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
                                Eating Mindfully
                                by Susan Alberts

Mark Hyman's Ultramethabolism and Blood Sugar Solution

Gnoll's Blogs on Hunger, Why and Hows (the best ever)

Why Are We Hungry? Part I: What Is Hunger? Liking Vs. Wanting, Satiation Vs. Satiety - GNOLLS.ORG

Art DeVince's book (New Evolution Diet IIRC)

William D. Lassek Why Women Need Fat

Thimothy Ferris 4 Hour Body

Honorable mention goes to the Wheat Belly for its unabated broad strokes.
                                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X