What is this vegetable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this vegetable?

Nice article on Huffington Post about under-appreciated produce. Great for those who are trying to incorporate some different fruits and veggies into their diet after getting tired of the same ol'. Cheers to farmers' market season!

What Is This Vegetable? Obscure Summer Produce You Should Be Eating
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

It's first time i've seen such a vegetable...and I'm curious to see what is..

Comment

It might be a tomatillo, the transparent outer area is removed, the fruit is inside. However I haven't seen that much outer "husk" before so I'm not 100%.

Comment

I've had 3 on the list. Love garlic scabes. I'm always looking for new veggie to try

Thanks for posting!

Comment

ground cherry?
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

oh, there's a slideshow. they should've shown the purple kohlrabi. i grew those in my garden a few years ago, quite tasty if you don't let them get big.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

that first thing (with the paper case, not quite ripe) is a gooseberry absolutely delicious! in season now in Australia and ripening on the bush at my front gate as I type. Of course, with 3 other family members who enjoy them, they're not something we get to eat lots of

Comment

I love watercress. There is a canyon in Malibu, near Neptunes Net, a live seafood store, where it grows wild. Makes for a great picnic.

Tercio

Comment

Originally posted by Tercio View Post
                  I love watercress. There is a canyon in Malibu, near Neptunes Net, a live seafood store, where it grows wild. Makes for a great picnic.

Tercio
                  Yeah, There's wild watercress growing along streams & springs in/around the SF bay area as well. I recall reading many years ago, that there is/can be a parasite growing on it, that it ought to be dunked or rinsed w/ a liquid disinfectant before enjoying it wild. This was after years of nibbling on it when I happily found it on hikes & never formally got sick from it. But I suppose if I did ingest any of that parasite, it could have just joined the party in my gut & not made indentifiable troubles. Some Grok/Grokettes had parasites & it likely shortened or could have even ended their life if they badly afflicted. I've had parasitic infections, no fun.
                  "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                  "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                  "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                    Yeah, There's wild watercress growing along streams & springs in/around the SF bay area as well. I recall reading many years ago, that there is/can be a parasite growing on it, that it ought to be dunked or rinsed w/ a liquid disinfectant before enjoying it wild. This was after years of nibbling on it when I happily found it on hikes & never formally got sick from it. But I suppose if I did ingest any of that parasite, it could have just joined the party in my gut & not made indentifiable troubles. Some Grok/Grokettes had parasites & it likely shortened or could have even ended their life if they badly afflicted. I've had parasitic infections, no fun.
                    Yeah, well that's Giardia and it can be anywhere. You can get it in your own garden or picking up your dog's poop as well as from open water. I would never drink any water running through livestock areas. However it's been many years since they ran cattle in Malibu, now they just run Mercedes.

Tercio

Comment

Ok, giardia, right. I've had it overseas before, couple of times. But deer, or any ruminant drinkin water & pooping in/around upstream water or a spring, can introduce it, not just cattle. Hence getting it out in the wild, ie the connection to wild unwashed watercress... No worries, likely never get it that way, but if you or anyone did, we fortunately have access to varied ways to kill giardia.
                      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by nopie View Post
                        I've had 3 on the list. Love garlic scabes. I'm always looking for new veggie to try

Thanks for posting!
                        I read that as "scabies". Doesn't sound tasty at all!

Comment

Looks like a gooseberry to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                            ground cherry?
                            +1. My grandmother used to grow them. I actually saw them at a farmer's market last summer and bought a container. Unfortunately, not quite ripe, so not as tasty as they should have been.

Upon googling, I see ground cherries are also known as "Cape gooseberries", so I guess those saying "gooseberry" are right too!
                            Last edited by honeypig; 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X