X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squatting instead of sitting

Wow, check this out.

http://naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

I *guess* this could be considered a Primal Resource...

Ha! Good stuff, NeoPaleo. I might have to use it for Weekend Link Love. Cheers!

Comment

Ya Mark you should definitely link that...now I feel like I need a squatting toilet. My husband has had IBS his whole life and had appendicitis when he was 13, and my grandma has had two serious surgeries for diverticulosis where she nearly died...I had no idea it was all linked that way. Almost frightening really.

You are what you eat,
      and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

My goodness. That certainly is a... thorough look at the issue at hand.

Comment

A lot of other countries have their restrooms set up with a porcelain or stainless steel type of drain directly on the floor with 'feet impressions' on either side, meant, primarily, for squatting!

Sure cuts down on the need to purchase those protective seat-cover papers people like to use!

Birthing is also primarily accomplished in the squatting position. It opens the hips and lessens the 'station' length of which the baby has to 'travel' through.

Comment

I've had something like this recommended (for those of us who don't have the achiles tendons and balance to squat up top of a toilet):

http://www.healthstep.com/

I'd like to hear more about whether this really is very healthy and worth doing--haven't tried it.

Comment

I've been squatting down (though not in the bathroom) after seeing Mark do it in one of his videos (demonstrating sprints I believe.) I can squat longer but I still can't stay that way for long yet. I've gotten to the point where I don't need to hold onto something to get into position, AND it's much easier on the kneecaps to clean the floor when squatting. I try to squat at the computer when possible too. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around squatting on the toilet. :P

Comment

In college, we had a male dorm with Vietnamese kids who squatted EVERYWHERE. Even in the restroom stalls where the stupid doors were missing...there they were, squatting away!

Comment

Gotta try this next time I am in Singapore – wherever you go there are always the squatting stalls as well as the “normal” toilets.

I squat while cleaning (and also gardening) as well Diana, just find it easy and also means I always have a “seat”!

Comment

had them in Turkey too when I was stationed there...makes sense. When I was in altitude chamber training, they taught us to kind of do that by rounding the back...helps get the gas bubble moving(not a fun experience as air/gas expands at altitude)

Comment

If I squatted, I would not be able to get up again with my bad knees unless I fell over sideways.

Not saying the theories are wrong, just saying I'm grateful for the western toilet! As I would say, most elderly.

I remember those holes in the stone floors in the public loo in Cairo.

Comment

Diana, have you found that in addition to staying in a squat longer, you are more flexible (like getting your butt closer to the ground), or were you already able to get down low?

Bayou, the "fell over sideways" comment made me laugh! (But just 'cuz I applied the image to myself--that would be me!)

Comment

I've been a squatter for over fifteen years now, and the idea of sitting is just bizarre to me now.

I got started when I was stuck in the countryside for a few days at a house with broken plumbing - trial by fire, huh? (Thank goodness we had a shovel.) Anyhow, those three days of forced squatting made such a difference to me that I've never gone back.

It does take a little time to get your flexibility back, if you're not used to it, but less time than you'd think.

Oh, and I've seen people buy all kinds of contraptions, get new toilets, whatever - totally unnecessary. Just lift up the seat and climb aboard. (Oh, I'm 6'4", by the way, so this is not a technique reserved for smaller people, either!)

Comment

LOL!

AK you're 6'4" but what is you weight, I could just imagine myself trying it and then having to explain how exactly did the toilet bowl snap in half...

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

Comment

when I lived in Adana Turkey the public bathrooms were holes in the floor and you had to squat! xoxo Darlene

Comment

Working...
                              X