No announcement yet.

Squatting instead of sitting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PG--I know what you mean about Adana, I was stationed at Incirlik...

Loved Turkey BTW....a must visit if anyone gets the chance

Comment

I've just got back from a Korea and Japan theme park tour. Quite a few of the public bathrooms have squat toilets. I didn't have to poop in one but I used them a couple of times and it's kinda hard not to splash one's feet a bit. :/

Comment

They still have the porcelain hole in the floor toilets in some places in France.....I would rather s#*t in the woods like a bear.

Arent there birthing stools as well to make giving birth easier because its more gravity fed, rather than laying on a stupid bed like a dead bug upside down? then having to push against gravity?

Comment

My goodness, it seems like the more information we dig into the more complicated the topic of "food for optimal health" gets. It starts to look like a bit like obsession.

OnTheBayou, then you probably don't want to go in those hole-bathrooms they have in those countries people are referring to I'm from Ukraine and they still have those babies in pretty much every single public bathroom. Not only you have to pay to get in there, but you also most certainly don't want to fall there as people usually miss the hole and do the deed all over the place.

NicoB, I almost fell off my chair laughing. I just got that vision of a heavy man or woman trying to climb on top of a tinny tiny toilet and then falling off of it or breaking it Hilarious.

Comment

There was actually a hilarious sign in a Japanese "western style" toilet showing how to sit on it (ie not facing backwards and not standing on it and squatting). I took a photo but I've only been back one day so haven't uploaded it anywhere yet.

Comment

you mean like these indiscreet?

hehe

i saw something like these on a recent trip to japan in the international airport!

Comment

sully that is where we were stationed! but a long time ago...1980-1982

Comment

i'm gonna jump this thread back - anyone still squatting? i started squatting maybe two years ago when i read similar things online about the health benefits involved. this year when i moved back out onto my land (where i live in a three sided shed, no plumbing or electric), i knew i didn't care enough about sitting down to poop to build another toilet - last one i built i gave to a friend who didn't have one. and since i compost my waste, i figured i might as well just squat directly over a bucket. if i use a small (2 or 3 gallon) bucket it's fine. if i use a bigger one, it helps to have a few bricks or something to give me more height. you don't have to hold your ass up - in the article mark wrote, the graphic shows - you squat All the way, so the backs of your thighs are on your calves. it's not uncomfortable at all. if you need more stability, you can widen your stance and, if necessary, keep a hand on something nearby for balance. it's pretty exciting that the more steps i take toward the primal life that i want, the less trappings of civilization feel necessary, toilets included.
                  -joan's primal journal and blog-

Comment

I scored a bout of whooping cough (pertusis, not sure what you call in OS) last year, the whole 100 days of coughing my guts up. My pelvic floor gave up the ghost completely. I've found squatting so much better than the lift and squeeze exercises for getting it back on track (not squatting over the loo, just general squatting)

Comment

I've seen that link before, but it seems like a pretty elaborate thing for my small bathroom. I have squatted to pee in the shower before, and I wonder if bending over while taking a dump would offer the same benefit as squatting does with regard to muscles/tendons around the descending colon.

I was cleaning the kitchen floor the other day, and squatted when I was really paying attention to the near the walls and in the corners. It was actually more comfortable than I would have thought. This was with bare feet on a wet floor, mind you.

Hmmm. I have a laptop. I have a music stand. Squatting to surf? Hmmmm.
                      In search of the elusive, unassisted, dead-hang pullup! | my journal

Comment

Funny.

Westernization of toilets has been happening rapidly in places like India, where pretty much everyone used squat toilets (or squatting defecating position). At rural areas, it was not uncommon to see people sitting on the floor - sometimes squatting and some times in "padmasana" yoga position (by the way this was the preferred eating posture for centuries and it still is in many rural areas) - sipping tea. Fascinating.

At some point furniture became a status distinguisher just like television, refreigerator and an automobile became. All the little exercises, stretching and yoga deeply integrated with daily routine disappeared.
                        Few but ripe.

Comment

Working...
                        X