Support Lierre Keith, buy her book "The Vegetarian Myth"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Lierre Keith, buy her book "The Vegetarian Myth"

In support, in light of the recent attack on Lierre Keith, I'll be buying some extra copies of her book "The Vegetarian Myth" to give away and loan out to get the information in greater circulation. I suggest you do the same.

Oh, and get some "Primal Blueprint" out there, too!

What attack?

Comment

I've been meaning to read it. If I can eek out some extra money this week, I'd love to buy it.

Comment

Some vegans (cayenne)pied her when she was speaking out against factory farming, sounds like they need some b-12!

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/201...4/18640886.php

Comment

i bought her book a couple of days ago. that pie in the face response was deplorable, and the time she was speaking about cruelty to animals and factory farming methods.

i equate it to an atheist speaking out at a fair full of religious zealots. at least she didn't get a bullet (which i wouldnt put it past those psychotic vegans to do that either. i guess human life is less important to them).

Comment

I've bought three copies of Lierre's magnificent book, and sent them to friends and relatives, as well as describing it and highly recommending it every chance I get.

I've also sent Taubes' book and Mark's book to people along with Lierre's. The three make an incredible combination.

Comment

I loved the book, but I did have to forgive a little pettiness on her part to do so.

You'll find a-holes and extremists in every group of people. The irony is that her explanation of the "vegan police" phenomena being due tryptophan deficiency gives a pretty good biochemical explanation for the a-holism.

Like I said, I have issues with some of the things in the book, but I still think it's fantastic, and everyone should read it.

Comment

THAT IS SOOOOO FUNNY!

Comment

Horrifying. I'm just shocked. Totally blown away.

Seriously, I 100% believe that this is what lacking good fats does to people's brains...

Comment

We've seen a horrible example today of what low fat eating does to people's brains.

When I read what Lierre said about soy, and remembered what I went through when I tried to be macrobiotic for about three or four months, I just said, Oh, My, God. She was right on the money! And it would only have gotten worse if I had tried harder for longer to use tofu as a protein source.

Comment

TOO BAD PIANO AKA PENISLADY WAS NOT PIED LOL

Comment

Alright people...this whole "those dang vegans" mentality is getting a bit ridiculous...

I dislike the vegan movement because of it's "mightier than thou" attitude it has towards "dirty meat eaters." It's the same reason I dislike anti-smoking groups. It's the same reason I dislike fanatic religious groups.

One of the reasons I really like this forum is that people are grounded, open minded, and willing to have adult discussions. If someone came in and said "ok, I eat grains and drink soda, why is that bad?", they would get an honest, well thought out response.

As of late, though, the forum mentality seems to be shifting into the "mightier than thou" attitude that is depressingly similar to that of the vegan movement. Those silly vegans...they are so upset cuz they don't have their b-12 and pie people, lol.

Frankly, statements like that are an insult to the majority of the world that isn't lucky enough to have access to fresh fruits and vegetables and clean meats. If I were an African refugee who's only source of calories was a cup of rice courtesy of the red cross, I would eat it and be grateful for it. If some primal enthusiast came along and started lecturing me about how said rice was causing me health problems and told me what I ought to be eating, I think I'd ought to shove it up their ass.

To the vegans' credit, at least most of them are making an honest attempt to do something about the problems that exist in food production, such as mass factory cattle raising and farming. These are the SAME problems THIS community wants to solve!

Some douche bags pie-ing an author during a lecture isn't representative of the entire vegan population. Most of them are similar to us: They are making an honest effort to eat food in a way that is healthier and more socially responsible than the norm. We can't succumb to the sweeping generalizations that plague any merit in the vegan movement if we want to be taken seriously.

One final thought: it is important to remain critical at all times. Yes, that means even questioning aspects of the primal blue print and giving opposing criticism thoughtful consideration.

Comment

I never made comment one way or another about vegans or vegetarians. I just thought the recent attack on Lierre Keith warranted comment, and was a fine opportunity to get the message of her book out to more people.

Comment

thanks Pete. I've been thinking of writing something like this myself, but didn't know how to start.

I'd like to second what Pete is trying to say here. While many of us here believe that the way that many vegans and vegetarians eat is unhealthy, they eat a lot better than the vast majority of fast food dieters. They also take issue with the way animals are raised, though it stems from a dislike of cruelty rather than a desire for tastier and healthier meat.

I feel that we will be a better community if we can step back from the vegan bashing and instead focus on learning more and finding better ways to eat and live. While I do see the funny side to vegan zealots who are in need of a good steak, there is a fine line between humour and malice, and I'd rather not tip-toe down that one.

I'd also like to second what Pete said about remaining critical. I have learned so much from this community by listening and asking questions when somebody says something that contradicts my beliefs. I always do some reading in these situations and inevitably find out that I was misinformed. All of us here need to remember that by eating in a Primal way, and basing our beliefs about what is healthy on an incomplete knowledge base, we are inevitably going to discover in time that some of what we have been doing and thinking is flawed. Those who tout a vegan lifestyle are in this same boat.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Comment

"Frankly, statements like that are an insult to the majority of the world that isn't lucky enough to have access to fresh fruits and vegetables and clean meats. If I were an African refugee who's only source of calories was a cup of rice courtesy of the red cross, I would eat it and be grateful for it."

That is a silly comparison. Vegan's choose to abstain.

Comment

Working...
                              X