No announcement yet.

Los Angeles Guide to Primal Resources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the sausages are decent. I'd go with the ones that you know for sure aren't factory farmed animals like bison, duck, alligator, rattlesnake, etc. At least stuff that is much less likely to be anyway. Ther eis a Wurstkuche in Venice as well, they have a cider and wine selection as well.
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

Comment

I live in Tarzana and just picked up a CSA box this morning and need to find another grass fed beef source. My beef was frozen (not the end of the world) but the date it was processed is 7/12. I work in Hollywood during the week (driving around selling wine) so am free to go wherever but going cross city to the Westside seems daunting somehow!

Anyone into sharing a cow? Lol.
      Never argue for your limitations.

Comment

I'd say I would - but I don't have room for a freezer and currently mine is full.
        Hmm.. maybe some folks have some ideas on small freezers?

If you are in Hollywood, check out Lindy and Grundy's on Fairfax.

Currently I get mine from Rocky Canyon at the farmers Market. They are at the Santa Monica and Hollywood one. If you have any ideas for other places would be good. Hmm.. maybe it's time for an LA Primal meetup group?

Originally posted by Grokalicious View Post
        I live in Tarzana and just picked up a CSA box this morning and need to find another grass fed beef source. My beef was frozen (not the end of the world) but the date it was processed is 7/12. I work in Hollywood during the week (driving around selling wine) so am free to go wherever but going cross city to the Westside seems daunting somehow!

Anyone into sharing a cow? Lol.
        -mikewootini

Comment

I took a little break from the forum so excuse my utter lateness in replying! I'm back to work on Thursday and will check out Lindy and Grundy. Another cool spot (restaurant) is Short Order. Grass fed burgers. Sooooo yummy.

I would love to schedule a meet up with other Primal folk. I often feel as though I'm on an island with this way of life! Just spent some time with an old friend and all she had to eat at her house was Oreos, Coke, Kraft cheese singles, etc. ugh!

Comment

We should totally do Primal meetup. I currently stay in Van Nuys but am free to travel wherever. I moved here from my homestate (Kansas) in January so it would be nice to meet some Primal folk for a change!

Comment

GrokMendoza, I am in Tarzana. None of my friends follow this lifestyle! Wish there were more folks around in our area!

Comment

Grokalicious Same here! Not to mention I'm a little worn having to explain why i eat a certain way, over & over & over again. Itd really be nice to meet people who I can easily relate to.

Yes itd be nice to have more people in the valley but at least I know there is one other person walking around in vibrams haha.

Have any of your friends considered/tried going primal?

Comment

Originally posted by GrokMendoza View Post
                  Grokalicious Same here! Not to mention I'm a little worn having to explain why i eat a certain way, over & over & over again. Itd really be nice to meet people who I can easily relate to.

Yes itd be nice to have more people in the valley but at least I know there is one other person walking around in vibrams haha.

Have any of your friends considered/tried going primal?
                  Hi Mendoza, I'm near you. Haven't found anything yet in the Inland Empire that's Paleo. Have you?
                  "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
                    Hi Mendoza, I'm near you. Haven't found anything yet in the Inland Empire that's Paleo. Have you?

Whats up Cryptocode?? I am actually in the LA area now, but I occasionally go & visit family in Fontana. So far the closest thing I've found to Primal is this supermarket called Sprouts but that's about it!

Comment

I went to eat at smoke city market on sherman oaks since i literally live right by there. Chicken is so bomb

Comment

So there is this paleo meal delivery place in LA that is pretty cool. It's called Brian's Bowls.

Brian's Bowls

Example dishes for this week:

Chorizo Meatballs
                        Mexican style Chorizo sausage, in your favorite package. Served with a Pipian Rojo sauce, thickened with ground pumpkin seeds. Served with garlicky kale and cauliflower rice, this one is rocking some heat. Regular has 3 meatballs, XL 4. Paleo level:.

Mexican Chicken Stew
                        Think Pozole, but with Chicken, and no hominy. That's corn. So we've got a spicy broth, with chunks of chicken, cauliflower instead of the hominy and assorted greens and herbs filling it out. Paleo level: Pure Paleo. Spice level: Medium++....

Chipotle Roast
                        Grilled beef roast, with a chipotle wine reduction sauce. Served with our cauliflower/sweet potato mash. Savory with a hint of spice, and, totally delicious! Ingredients: Beef, Yams, Cauliflower, Onions, Garlic, Wine, Spices, Coconut Milk, Olive Oil, Salt... Love.
                        -mikewootini

Comment

That looks pretty sweet. I wonder if they're hiring

Comment

So Mike I wanted to ask do you enjoy living in Santa Monica? What's the crowd like out there?

Comment

Originally posted by GrokMendoza View Post
                              So Mike I wanted to ask do you enjoy living in Santa Monica? What's the crowd like out there?
                              Technically I live on the border of Santa Monica and Venice, on the Venice side. My back alley is Santa Monica. Overall, I really like it. There are lots of great places to find organic, sustainable food - lots of choices for CSA's, farmers markets almost every day, and decent amount of places to buy organic food. I do find that a fair bit of it caters to the 'Vegan' but that doesn't mean there isn't a great deal to offer and frankly some of the Vegan stuff is pretty good and primal.

There are a bunch of bootcamp type fitness things - I tend to stay away from that stuff.

There's lots of stuff along the beach to do, hiking nearby, most things for me are walkable... and I love my crossfit box as it fits my lifestyle very well.

I found another CSA recently that is really amazing and I can't wait to try it out - they have blue butter, raw milk, and lots of other awesome stuff. https://udderlyla.com/index.php/

-mike
                              -mikewootini

Comment

Hello MDA folks. I'm in Atwater Village, and a member of Rainbow Ranch Farms in Pinion Hills (100% grass-fed, no grain on the property at all. Beef, pork, lamb, goat, chicken, chicken eggs, duck eggs, quail eggs, goats milk). Chickens at Lindy Grundy come from RRF. I often do a meat-pool with some friends, so feel free to get in touch if you want in on the next bulk order.

I did just come across a local offer of grass-fed beef at Harmony Farms, a meat processor in La Crecentia. They have a farmer who has an Angus half beef (one side) hanging in their cooler and looking to sell it. 390 pounds hanging weight, $6.49/lb (talk to Sonny at Harmony Farms for details).

Comment

Working...
                                X