Sunlight Alarms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunlight Alarms

So Marks post about the effects of light on sleep cycles got me to thinking about sunlight alarms again. I've wanted one for over a year now, but every time I look at them the reviews all talk about the horrible quality of them. Even the ones that do a wonderful job of waking people up more naturally seem to fall apart or burn out within a few months.

I'm curious if anyone here uses a sunlight alarm and has found one that is durable and will last a good long while?

Thanks!

You can make one with a simple light timer and an auto dimming circuit, or a light that takes a while to warm up. I can't vouch for it, since I wake up fine without an alarm, but in theory it should cost about $10-$15 to do it yourself so longevity won't be as much of an issue.

Comment

My fiancee bought us a light timer, it's called "Lighten Up!"; just set the time and duration and plug the lamp into the device, go to sleep, and come morning it wakes you up nice and slowly. We got the lower-priced model, about $30.

Comment

I've got this one:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/alarm-clock/hf3480_60/prd/us/

I don't know if it is available in the US, but it is a really good one. But pricy!

Comment

My sunlight alarm was free.......the sun.

OK, OK, but I have noticed that I can, and have, trained myself to wake up within a very narrow time window. It never fails.

Comment

I started leaving my curtains open a while back, to let the morning light in. Woke up every morning at exactly the same time, 07:08, about 10 mins for my alarm clock. I'd always feel ready to go as well.

I'd be tempted to hook a timer up to one of those natural sunlight bulbs (SAD?), but they are pretty expensive I think.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Comment

I would love to wake up to the sun. Unfortunately it doesn't shine through my window at 5 a.m. :-/

We'll see when daylight savings hits... I have to be up by 6:30 most days, 5:15 on Fridays because I go into work early. I'm starting to see the sun before I leave for work, so that's a plus!

Another problem at my current house... can't leave the blinds open because our bedroom faces the STREET! Great design, huh? Well it is military housing. Yeah, there's a giant street lamp that shines directly into my room at night. Right into my eyes. We're moving after the hub gets back so maybe I can work that out then!

sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

I had one for a while but it started to go crazy on me flashing at strange times, turning on at 2:00am etc... Unfortunately just out of warranty period 8-( It was nice while it lasted but I haven't replaced it.

Comment

minxxa, that sucks about the street light. I'm personally of the opinion that street lighting is just another of the terrible inventions of modern society, for many reasons. ugh. Luckily I'm 2 floors up and back facing. Hope your new place is a bit friendlier.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Comment

Waking up with the sun would be nice sometimes (most of the time I prefer to get up before the sun). But yeah, it's impossible because of streetlights. I savor it when camping.

Comment

Thanks for the responses folks. I'm in the same boat as Minxxa. Monday through Friday I get up at 5am and the sun wouldn't be bright enough to wake me until closer to 7:30 or 8:00.

Pieter, I've looked into that particular alarm clock. All the reviews I've read say that it works wonderfully, but most of the reviews have a later addition that talks about the un-replaceable bulb burning out after a couple of months use,followed by a terrible experience with Phillips' customer service. Look it up on Amazon.com to see some reviews for yourself.

I do appreciate the suggestions everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Also, Pieter, I meant to say that I hope your experience with that light is a better one than what I've read about.

Comment

Hmmm...this is facinating! I was looking up sunlight alarms a few weeks ago and also remember being annoyed that they were so expensive yet got such bad reviews for breaking easily...
                          I didn't think of just using a timer on a regular lamp! I'm going to do this and see how it works!! I *hate* waking up to that "Errrr errr errrr!!!!" sound LOL. I'd love to use the sun, but I can't sleep unless my room is PITCH BLACK, so since i live in the city, leaving the curtians open is out of the question...dumb street lights!
                          My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
                          *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Comment

That is a great idea, but..........................Since I get up two hours before my wife it could harm my current marital bliss!
                            Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

Here is a link to the clock I use. http://www.biobrite.com/products.php?category=SunRise Clocks

I use the 88631 Digital SunRise Clock but its a differant color.

I've been using this kind of clock for ten years now and I love it. I don't use any other alarms except when traveling. This is my second. I've never had a bulb burn out but somehow I broke a button on my first clock.

The odd thing for me is that the moment the bulb begins to brighten, I wake up even though it is very dim. So, for instance, if you set the clock to gradually brighten over half an hour, I have to set my "alarm" for 1/2 hour later.

I've also found that I'm actually a little more sensitive now to light pollution interrupting my sleep. Possibly the only potential drawback.

Ironically, on the weekends when you don't need the alarm, you still have to set the alarm because otherwise the digital display is too bright!! (It dims when set).

Ask me anything else you want to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X