No announcement yet.

Divacup/Mooncup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks everyone!! i love having some real life experience of these things, it all seems to secretive!!

Comment

Hi everyone!

I've used a mooncup for about the last 9 months and love it. I hated the dryness of wearing tampons and I don't get that anymore the other great thing is that because I'm not too heavy, I only need to empty it twice a day so for me, its brilliant for travelling.

They do take a bit of getting used to. I cut the stem of my first one too short so couldn't get it out very easily and ended up buying a new one... One tip I would give it try different ways of folding them to get them in. I've just discovered that a different fold to the one I was using is much much easier - wish I tried a few more when I first started! Also, when you're in public bathrooms if you take a small bottle of water with a sports squeezy top you can give it a bit of a wash out without having to use the sinks or leave the cubicle

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

I tried the softcup and it was terrible. I could not get the hang of it, I always ended up with a mess when the seal would "break" during removal. I don't think I'm shaped well enough to handle those, I kept feeling terribly ill (hitting my cervix) while it was in. I think I would have a better time with a re-usable firm cup which would not touch the cervix, if I can get the removal part down I have cloth pads that I love to use, but I don't really have the time or patience to handle washing them (and only have access to washing machine once a week at someone else's house), otherwise I'd use them exclusively and invest in some more. They're so much more comfortable than disposable pads and allow for a lot more breathing.
        Depression Lies

Comment

I always thought these CANNOT be used with an IUD... So, can they then?

Can you swim with them without them leaking?

How often do they need to be replaced in real life (not according to the manufacturer LOL)

I am considering using this product because my BIGGEST complaint with tampons is when I have to go to the bathroom less than an hour after putting one in, and it is nowhere near ready to come out so it is uncomfortable to take it out... And a shame to waste a tampon just because I had to go to the bathroom.
          Last edited by GrokON; 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM.
          5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Originally posted by GrokON View Post

How often do they need to be replaced in real life (not according to the manufacturer LOL)

I am considering using this product because my BIGGEST complaint with tampons is when I have to go to the bathroom less than an hour after putting one in, and it is nowhere near ready to come out so it is uncomfortable to take it out... And a shame to waste a tampon just because I had to go to the bathroom.
            An IUD is placed high in the uterus, and a menstrual cup sit in the cervix where a tampon would, so it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe just be careful when removing so you don't pull the IUD's strings. I think a properly fitted cup would be perfect for swimming and sports!

And I'm with you on the frequent peeing vs. tampon issue, it totally sucks. Blech.
            “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
              Kakes maybe try a different cup? They should not leak, I never have a problem with that. I have a lunette, I am pretty sure, could be a diva cup, but ill check later.
              It only leaks when it's full to overflowing- which happens often (every 1-2 hours) in my first 2-3 days. It never leaks if it isn't full. I usually empty it before then, but I get busy with 4 kids and then all of the sudden I'm racing to the bathroom! Could be the cup, but I just figured it was physics.
              You don't have to be sick to get better.
              Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
              Primal start: 1/2/2012
              My Primal Journal
              Living, loving and learning.

Comment

i used a diva cup w/ IUD b/f I had the whole damn mess taken out! (best.decision.EVER!)

anyway, i did like the diva cup before my uterus went nuts & i was dealing with like 16 oz of blood & chunks per day. The cup was particularly awesome for bike rides & being outdoors where it's a pain to haul tampons or whatever with you. I would totally recommend the diva cup to anyone, especially if you have "normal" periods.

Eventually it got to the point a few months before the hysterectomy that i just went back to pads b/c i got sick of dumping the cup out so often.

Comment

I bought a Diva Cup the same time that I got my copper IUD (2 cycles with both now). I can't stress enough how much I LOVE the cup! There is no way in HELL that I would have survived my first period without it. I guarantee that I would have bled through my tampon on my 30min drive to work. It's a little weird to get used to, but I used Nuva Ring for 6 years, so I'm kinda used to putting random silicone pieces up there I also have a private bathroom at work, so emptying it during the day isn't a big deal. I can imagine it must be harder in a shared bathroom where you can't just waddle over to the sink to rinse it out before putting it back in.

I've been telling all my friends about it, even the ones without IUDs. I hope that in a few months my periods will get more manageable (the cramps and heaviness are pretty yucky right now), but I will continue to use my Diva Cup!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GrokON View Post

I hope this doesn't sound stupid...but what does having to pee have to do with your tampon? When I used tampons I wouldn't change it unless it needed to be changed.

Comment

i dunno, peeing on the string? i think this can be avoided if you're careful.
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by faithy22 View Post
                        I hope this doesn't sound stupid...but what does having to pee have to do with your tampon? When I used tampons I wouldn't change it unless it needed to be changed.
                        I guess we all have individual preferences in that regard, eh?

ETA: I am sure this is TMI, but I have quite violent tummy trouble during my period so I have to #2 almost as frequently as #1 and this is a big deal as well.
                        Last edited by GrokON; 03-27-2012, 03:30 PM.
                        5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Peeing on the string isn't a problem, medically. It might psychologically bother people?

I have a divacup, have had one for 8 years, best thing I ever did. I get less cramps, I virtually forget that I have my period, I only change it twice a day, it's freaking awesome! I put mine in a peroxide water mixture every second month or so, but they're dishwasher safe too I haven't ever had it leak unless it's over-full and changing it in a public washroom isn't a big deal as it doesn't have to be rinsed every single time.

They have a money-back guarantee so you have nothing to lose

Comment

people say that urine is sterile, but i don't buy it. why would they have you pee in a cup to look for infections if it's sterile? anyway, not that it really matters.
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

When I first got my Diva, I practiced inserting/taking out in the shower. It helps in case things get messy. I also had to trim a bit of the stem because it was poking (use a nail trimmer so the edge isn't as blunt). I found this site very helpful, it shows different folding techniques (I use the origami). Menstrual Cups - Divacup, Mooncup, Instead, Lunette, Miacup - Folding techniques

Comment

Great site, I use the "c" fold. I usually empty and insert the cup in the shower because it's easier all around and I'm in there anyways

And if you have an infection, it's not sterile

Comment

Working...
                                X