X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake-up Light? Alternative to Alarm Clock

Has anyone here used one of these?

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/light-therapy/hf3480_60/prd/us/

Its basically an alarm clock that wakes you up gradually with light instead of sound. Although you can use the light in addition to sound as well. I think it would be a great alternative to waking up the usual way with a blaring alarm clock. I work 45 hours a week and have to get up at 6:15, so I don't have the luxury of sleeping in until the sun wakes me up naturally. I'm going to order one and see how it goes. I think it'll be great waking up more naturally than with an alarm clock. If you want to check into it, they sell them on Amazon for $104 w/ free shipping. Not too bad.

Carpe Diem!

interesting, definitely report back on how it works for you.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I wake up between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. every day. No alarm, no light, no nothng. Of course, I'm in bed by 9:00 most nights.

Comment

Wow, that is such a good idea! I want one of those!! However, just a FYI-- I looked up that Phillips brand one you mentioned on amazon and it looks like a lot of people were having problems with the light bulb randomly dying soon after they bought it. There seems to be quite a few different brands and models of these "wake up lights"...sweet! Wish they were'nt so pricey, though. :P

My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
        *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Comment

I have something similar, and have been using it for probably 5 or so years.

It's hugely helpful for me.

I really can't see waking up without it unless you can wake up when it's not still dark out.

One of the best investments I've made.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

You can just get an outlet timer and put a lamp right next to your bed....

They cost $5-$10, and I bet you already have a lamp.

But hey, I love spending $100 when I don't need to, just as much as the next guy.

Comment

I've found 19 greyhounds make a fantastic and reliable alarm clock...they never seem to forget "track time" and those early turnouts. Drawback - no snooze alarm that I can find. But, when the choice is get up or hear pee hitting the floor, it's an easy and motivating decision LOL

I'm pretty sure I'd sleep through a little light turning on though...the timer idea posted above sounds like a practical replacement if folks can't afford the expensive "alarm light"!

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I have a Phillips Light alarm but nothing as attractive as in your link. I LOVE it. I wake gently and don't feel so traumatised as I used to. My cat knows not to start nagging me till the light starts up.

Recommend most highly.

My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I think my hubby would HATE this :P But I get up at 6am and he definitely does not have to get up that early. At least the alarm clock is turned off after about 3 rings since it irks the heck out of me! I would certainly like this for myself, but not enough to sleep in my own room

You are what you eat,
                  and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Give him a sleeping mask?

Comment

If there was one that you could also upload mp3s to, that would be great. I'd find a recording of birdsong and have the thing gradually increase the volume. Maybe there's an app for Mac...

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Of course there's an app for that PC, what ISN'T there an app for?? I don't have an iphone or ipod touch though, so I don't have any apps for anything.

You are what you eat,
                        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

You can get one with an IPOD dock. This one has a radio in addition to 4 nature sounds, including forest birds, African jungle, windchimes, or a soft beep. They gradually increase in volume, in sync with the light brightness increasing. Overall, I just figured it would be better than waking up all of a sudden like with a regular alarm clock, and setting off the cortisol storm. A light timer would be no different than an alarm clock, since it wouldn't be gradual. The light would wake you up just as suddenly as an alarm would.

Carpe Diem!

Comment

I had a lamp on a timer once, and all I got was a minor heart attack as I was suddenly blinded at 7am!

I do have one of these alarm clocks, and so far have always woken up by the time the beeper goes off. So I count that as working... also avoid the "whu-who-argh-where am I-who am I" moment upon coming round!

Mine is one of these:

http://www.lumie.com/shop/products/bodyclock-sunray-100

I lurve it, hehe!

Sometimes the light does come back on slightly, after you've woken and dimmed it back to being off. No biggie.

It's also quite relaxing to fade from light to dark when trying to go to sleep. It's a bugger if I decide I want to keep reading though, haha!

Comment

Just use a light that takes a while to warm up. Or you can make your own circuit that does the same thing for a couple dollars and they're fairly simple. Just google automatic light dimmer.

Comment

Working...
                              X