Seattle --Where do you get your meat from

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle --Where do you get your meat from

I actually live south of seattle in Kent, but I am trying to find a good source to buy some good organic meat from. I have found a few farms online that do ship, but I would love to find someplace closer to home so I can see what I am buying.

Where do my fellow Olympia to Seattle folks get your beef and chicken from?

Thanks

Ed

i don't buy chicken except very occasionally an organic cooked one. i use thundering hooves for beef, pork and lamb.

www.thunderinghooves.net

they have delivery stops all over, including near you, and you can pick up your meat from keith (one of the owners of the farm) every other saturday (they have the schedule on the site). or you can have it shipped, whichever.

they provide excellent pastured meat and keith is a really nice guy as well.

they also do whole and half hogs, whole/half/quarter beefs and when they have them, whole goats or lambs.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply...

Thundering Hooves is actually who I was looking at for online delivery.

I take it you have been pretty happy with TH to date?

Comment

Thundering Hooves is awesome! I love their leaf lard. I've gotten their beef liver, their hamburger meat, the German sausage, and a few other things. Extremely happy with everything.

Comment

I've found that the meat dept at PCC does a really good job, and their buying focus is local, local, local.

There is a little butcher shop in McKenna that does the best game sausage and jerky I've ever had. Trouble is that they can't ship over county lines so you have to GO there. They also sell scrapple by the block, and Elk. The jerky alone is worth traveling for.

http://stewartsmeatmarket.com/

I've also found a little farm in Nile Valley that sells grass-fed beef, and Berkshire Pork. I'm working on them to ship over the mts.

http://www.riverbarfarms.com/

Comment

PCC carries some thundering hooves ground beef, so that you can try it out.

i haven't had a bad experience with any of the meat from them. will be trying the smoked pork chops very soon (newish thing they are trying that by all accounts taste WONDERFUL).

Comment

I get my meat at PCC, especially because they are around the corner from my home.

Comment

Ditto with PCC, I love the meat department there. I also buy frozen fish from Fred Meyer, it's usually pretty cheap.

Comment

great to know on PCC. Wish they were a little closer. But will at least give me a chance to tryout TH meats before I place an order which is nice!!

Comment

Has anyone tried Gradwohl's Farm Beef? http://www.gradwohlsfarmbeef.com/
                    I just found out an accquaintance works there. Going to have to check it out.

Comment

Just got some amazing kebab meat from Mountain Beef (mountain-beef.com) at the Meadowbrook Farmers Market. Lake City Farmers Market also has a few meat vendors. These 2 are on the north end and have decent parking.

Rainshadow Meats just opened in Capitol Hill and is supposed to be awesome.

Skip Bill the Butcher.

I often just go to Whole Foods and pick up something that says "100% grass fed" on it. But if I had a big freezer, I'd have a LOT more options.

Comment

@fbw -- Have your tried the smoked pork chops yet? They are by far one of my favorite TH items. I order a couple with each delivery.
                        So glad to see others enjoy Thundering Hooves as much as I do. I can't say enough good things about not only their products, but the family as well. Truly great people. For anyone who hasn't bought from Thundering Hooves before, there is a $20 off coupon on their website that you can use for your first order of $50 or more.

Comment

I am also in Kent and i buy a lot of my meat from thundering hooves. Pick up on Friday in Burien.

I also buy meat at costco. They have organic chicken and ground beef. Its not local buy its nice to have around in a pinch.
                          Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Originally posted by ekseattle View Post
                            Has anyone tried Gradwohl's Farm Beef? http://www.gradwohlsfarmbeef.com/
                            I just found out an accquaintance works there. Going to have to check it out.
                            I have been wanting to stop by their farm. They are in Covington i think. I actually have a coupon to use there.
                            Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I love the meat I get from Skagit River Farms -- it's available at the Madison Market Co-Op, which is probably out of your way, but other people might like it. Though looking at their web site -- http://www.skagitriverranch.com/ -- it says they have meat available at Nature's Market in Kent. I keep meaning to try Rainshadow meats, but haven't gotten there yet.
                              If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

Working...
                              X