Survival Skills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival Skills

I'm a city kid (or I was, now I'm a city adult.) Last night, when I was supposed to be falling asleep my mind wandered over to the idea of learning survival skills: rope-tying, shelter-building, forest food-foraging, knife sharpening, etc. To me, it seems like a natural addition to the Primal lifestyle. Who knows? Maybe it will lead to hiking and or camping trips . . . Lord knows I could use more forest-bathing.

Can anyone recommend books, websites, etc. that I could use to learn survival skills?
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

there are ton of survivalist websites out there that cover all of this material and more. i've been flagging them lately (particularly knot tying for some reason) to pick up some of these skills once the snow and ice melt. a lot of people think i'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse...but i really just want to be able to do some of this stuff. who knows when you might need a shelter or a fire. just pop "survivalist" into a google search and you'll get plenty of options. you may have to wade through some crappy sites for a bit, but the ones with good information will be obvious to you.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Get the books by Cody Lundin. I'm into this stuff pretty heavy, and his books fit right in with the Primal philosphy. You might recognize him as the giant barefoot hippy from the Discovery Channel show "Dual Survival".

Most important, once you gain some knowledge PRACTICE! Reading a book about tying knots won't tell you much if you don't practice tying knots. Forget about "theory" when it comes to fire building. Try this stuff, figure out how to actually do it, and keep the skills fresh.

Comment

Most important, once you gain some knowledge PRACTICE! Reading a book about tying knots won't tell you much if you don't practice tying knots. Forget about "theory" when it comes to fire building. Try this stuff, figure out how to actually do it, and keep the skills fresh.
        That's what I was thinking about doing. I don't know about regular pyromania, but knot-tying, knife sharpening, etc., I can do.
        There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

Comment

Griffin, I can possibly connect you with someone locally who does backcountry survival training if you're ever interested in doing something more hands-on and immersive.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Hey Owly,

Thanks - I may take you up on that in the future. For now, though, I think I'll try to learn some on my own.

Comment

check this website out:

Wilderness Survival Skills

dude's even got a cool kit you can buy with all the fixin's

this website got me hella pumped to go camping. tip: take the survival quiz before you read anything! it's fun I scored pretty low, but not too bad lol, only makes it more motivating!!

Comment

Read some Tom Brown Jr.

Comment

Read Into the Wild.

Avoid doing what he did.

Comment

Traditional Skills, Bushcraft, Homesteading, and other useful skills

Might be another good resource. The place seems pretty Primal friendly, too.
                    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Originally posted by JennaRose View Post
                      check this website out:

Wilderness Survival Skills

dude's even got a cool kit you can buy with all the fixin's

this website got me hella pumped to go camping. tip: take the survival quiz before you read anything! it's fun I scored pretty low, but not too bad lol, only makes it more motivating!!
                      Ha, I took the quiz and did OK but got all the questions wrong about having a cell phone. Guess where I hike, you don't rely on it because there is no signal. Good reminder to use it if you can, but if you cannot... then make sure you know the other information!

I also recommend Tom Brown Jr, that will definitely inspire you to get out and learn survival skills! For more practical knowledge, I've heard great things about Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills by John McPherson.
                      Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Thanks for the links!

Comment

I recommend Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine. Then hit the AT or the PCT and hike for 5 months. That will cure you of silly city notions like throwing money at problems or confusing possessions with happiness or not knowing the difference between danger and discomfort. These are survival skills for the 21st century.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            I recommend Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine. Then hit the AT or the PCT and hike for 5 months. That will cure you of silly city notions like throwing money at problems or confusing possessions with happiness or not knowing the difference between danger and discomfort. These are survival skills for the 21st century.
                            I could use a 5 month hike right about now. I've never visited any famous trails but I did live outside for about 3 years and spent most of that time in the wilderness.During my time as a nomadic hippie I probably walked 10-20 miles a day everyday. Sometimes I really miss those days. Before anyone criticizes me for this let me say that not once during that time did I panhandle or beg for money. My food came from scavenging(dumpster diving)and food boxes and it was always shared with anyone that was hungry. It's really disgusting how much perfectly edible food gets thrown away by grocery stores and restaurants. When I needed cash I did odd jobs or day labor. I have to say it was probably the happiest time of my life next to the birth of my son.

Comment

Working...
                            X