Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have an eating disorder, apparently....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have an eating disorder, apparently....

"Orthorexia":

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...963297,00.html

I think I actually may fit that definition!

Comment

"Many opt to go hungry rather than eat anything less than wholesome."

Yes, it's called IF.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

OMG....seriously? "eating poptarts and potato chips are ok...."

I wouldnt be surprised if Monsanto was behind this...

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

It's like anorexia, but with an excuse!

But seriously, if you're healthy, it's just a preference/lifestyle. But if it's damaging your body, then it's a disorder.

Comment

Oh yeah, I've been an Orthorexic for a few years now. I prefer to call myself a "Food Snob." :P

I'd rather not eat, than to eat junk. I'm surprised somebody hasn't gone and said IFing is an eating disorder by itself.

Comment

I am right there with ya Diana. I like to think us Primals just have a more refined palate, we have no need to cover up the taste of our meat with a thousand sauces because our meat is just too damn good by itself.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

i'm not really offended by this...it seems more like an attack on hi raw vegans than anything lol

Comment

Don't forget, if you aren't eating every 3 hours you're going to DROP DEAD therefore "...choosing not to eat..." is in fact suicide.

Comment

Amen Adventure! I had a lady look at me nearly cross-eyed when all I wanted on my chicken wings was a little salt. Ribs are WAY better without the barbecue.

Comment

The people who work in my schools cafeteria know me because I always get plain chicken breasts and hamburger patties with bacon and nothing else. If only I could get a decent steak for all the money I pay this school.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Food Snob as well! Though I have found that I am intolerant to a few things I used to eat on a daily basis before going Primal.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                        Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                        I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

Let's see...orthorexia or type II diabetes?

I'll take orthorexia, thankyouverymuch.

Comment

How many orthorexics do you see wasting away in nursing homes, incontinent, sick and robbed of their memories? None. The standard American diet is the only eating disorder that I worry about.

Comment

From wiki

Orthorexia, or orthorexia nervosa is a term coined by Steven Bratman, a Colorado MD, to denote an eating disorder characterized by excessive focus on eating healthy foods. In rare cases, this focus may turn into a fixation so extreme that it can lead to severe malnutrition or even death.

Bratman proposes an initial self-test composed of two direct questions: "Do you care more about the virtue of what you eat than the pleasure you receive from eating it?... Does your diet socially isolate you?" [15]. Other questions concerning those who may be suffering from orthorexia provided by Davis on the WebMD (2000) website are: Do they spend more than 3 hours a day thinking about healthy foods? When they eat the way they're supposed to, do they feel in total control? Are they planning tomorrow's menu today? Has the quality of their life decreased as the quality of their diet increased? Have they become stricter with themselves? Does their self-esteem get a boost from eating healthy? Do they look down on others who don't eat this way? Do they skip foods they once enjoyed in order to eat the "right" foods? Does their diet make it difficult for them to eat anywhere but at home, distancing them from family and friends? Do they feel guilt or self-loathing when you stray from their diet? If yes was answered to two or more questions, the person may have a mild case of orthorexia. [16].

Symptoms of orthorexia nervosa may include obsession with healthy eating, emaciation, and death by starvation.

So....I don't think it is something that we should be tossing about lightly or brag that we "have".

Comment

Working...
                              X