The vegetarian myth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The vegetarian myth

This is such a good book every should read it!
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Unfortunately, even Paleo types agree that the book is error-strewn. I still believe there's a lot of truth within, but I can't give the book for someone to read knowing that there is so much errata within.

It is a good read, though, and many valid points are made.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Great book! I wish I would have had it when I was in college. I think I might have avoided Endometriosis.

Rip - Can you share the errors? Or a link that discusses them?

Comment

Not immediately. I did read a reasonable critique somewhere, will need to find it.

The consensus, even amongst former supporters, is that there are good ideas but some bad science within. Nothing, however, that would stop me from believing that vegetarianism would be less than optimal, and that meat is unparalleled as a source of nutrition.
        Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

I'd be interested to know the errors too, Rip, if you could find that critique.

Thanks
          SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
          “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

It's safe to say that Melissa McEwen is not a fan.
            Deep Green Insanity | Hunt.Gather.Love.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I am curious then if someone could recommend a book that covers the topic of vegetarianism as not the solution to planet crises and not the optimal diet. I know a lot of paleo/primal books cover meat as not the enemy, but I'm looking for one that addresses vegetarianism/veganism specifically as those would be the intended readers (my family, maybe someday).
              Depression Lies

Comment

The Vegetarian Myth actually does a pretty good job. If you don't want to buy it after reading the above review (which is a shame because it's a good read) then just find it at a real bookstore (if you have access to one) and look at it there and look at her footnotes and go seek out the footnotes. There are probably other resources but a quick google search only brought up some news articles that were light on substance, not books, and I didn't look very hard.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Try Beyond Broccoli. The first half is pretty good, but then she starts going off the deep end with the spirituality and raw foods IMO.

Comment

As an ex-vegetarian myself this book interested me, but I agree that it fell short on many levels. Just goes to show that there really is no one single path that we should all follow. Pick and choose what works best for you, and then go with it.

Comment

I kinda thought the negative review was a little unfair. I mean, everybody repeats the untruth about Ancel Keys lying about his data, but I read a critique that showed even if you included all his countries, the correlation was still there. Yet we can forgive all the paleo authors for this untruth being repeated over and over. Her main critique of Lierre Kieth was her personal politics about feminism, rape and abuse and her association with Derrick Jensen and his politics of monkeywrenching and violence.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I found it to be a fantastic book and it suggested a few other books within that I also ended up reading. As someone who reads a lot of books about food, nutrition, food supplies, etc., it was refreshing to read something in her "personal" style of writing. Some don't like her style and I admit it was strange at first but I soon learned to love it. I've also heard from others that there may be errors but regardless she makes valid points. It's definitely worth checking out.
                        “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          I mean, everybody repeats the untruth about Ancel Keys lying about his data, but I read a critique that showed even if you included all his countries, the correlation was still there.
                          Do you know where you saw the bit about the correlation holding up with all the data. I have read the part about the correlation NOT holding up a million times - I'd love to know the actual truth.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            Do you know where you saw the bit about the correlation holding up with all the data. I have read the part about the correlation NOT holding up a million times - I'd love to know the actual truth.
                            It was on Denise Minger's blog. Raw Food SOS: Troubleshooting on the Raw Food Diet

Comment

Originally posted by Barefoot View Post
                              Wow - that was a great read. Thanks much for sharing!
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X