I have had the VFF KSOs for about 7 months now and have used them for sprints, lifting and general exercise. I also wear them in place of conventional shoes most of the time and feel like I am used to them completely now. I will be picking up the Treks soon (stepping on rocks/pebbles with the regular KSO can be annoying) and want to start hiking soon and possibly backpacking sometime in the future as well.
I found a trail only a couple miles away, which is 5.5 miles long and mostly open plains without much steepness. Seems like a good, safe starting place.
I would like to use this eventually for sprints/runs and other exercises also. I generally want to spend more time outside and visit a few interesting places along the way.
Any help with any of the following questions would be greatly appreciated.
1. How is this for a 1st hiking trip? (The one listed above)
2. What are good websites for some basic info (what to pack, how to use first aid and other vital info)?
3. What should I be looking for in terms of gear? What is the Primal community's preference for backpacks, clothing etc? I will be using Treks for my feet. For backpacks, I would just need something for water, food and smaller items. I will not need one for sleeping bags, extra clothes or cooking gear right now.
4. Would fisherman pants be good for hiking? Should I wear something more conventional? The weather is going to be warm with very little rain most of the time.
5. I live in the in the SF Bay Area (Hayward, 94544). Are there any resources nearby that might be useful (stores, other easy - mod trails)?
6. I will most likely be going to Grad school starting next Sept, most likely choices are UC Davis and U of Alabama right now. Are those good areas (Sacramento/Davis and Tuscaloosa) for hiking/BPing?