No announcement yet.

New food journal tool for PB - PaleoTrack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving it a whirl today (already ran into issues with a breakfast ingredient), but still going to stick with MyFitnessPal for the long term until the food database at Paleotrack is more developed.

Comment

• Speaking of which, it's a little weird they don't have strained yogurt. Couple other things I have match names but not nutrition as given on can.

M.

Comment

• Speaking of which, it's a little weird they don't have strained yogurt. Couple other things I have match names but not nutrition as given on can.

M.

Comment

• There are also no fields for menaquinone-7 on the custom foods form, plus at least half of the things in my multi-vitamin there are no fields for (mostly metal minerals like chromium), plus no place for biotin, co-enzyme q10, etc. There is also nowhere on there that tracks iodine intake that I could find (did I miss something?). The only reason I am taking so many darn supplements right now is that several were indicated in the lowering of blood pressure and I am trying to bring it down without screwy medicines from a doctor. I didn't even know it was high until I went Primal. But I've brought down quite a bit in just one week..hoping for even lower next week. It would sure be nice to track ALL the things on these supps so I don't OD on anything. The only thing on my triple K that had a spot was the m-4. My K1 is listed as phytonadione, not the same as what's offered in the fields on the tracker. I just popped it onto the main K slot anyway.

Going to use the site in conjunction with MFP for a few days and see what I think about it then. So far, it's telling me I'm just under 100 cals higher in intake for the day than MFP.

Comment

• So MFP tracks more detail? Their databases seem to overlap.

M.

Comment

• No. MFP's database is more complete in total foodstuffs, including commercial foodstuffs (I haven't had to add a food item to the database in over a year...everything I've bought is already in there), but it's lacking the in-depth details of Paleotrack as it only tracks basic nutrients. Paleotrack will be THE premier tracking tool if and when the database grows substantially larger. I prefer the breakdowns in nutrients and I love the omega and potassium/sodium ratio offered at Paleotrack, but have already hit walls with about half of the foods I was going to eat today. No kefir, no kombucha, etc. If I had the time to add everything individually, I would, but right now, time is short and everything I eat is already in the MFP database. However I do understand that foods entered from a package label (Bubbie's Sauerkraut for example) are probably still only going to have the basic nutrients no matter which site they are on.

I will keep playing around with Paleotrack as I think it has insane potential, but I've gotten frustrated enough with it for today and got half of my food logged. Where I see Paleotrack being extremely handy is for those who only eat completely whole food items and don't add anything in the way of extra to their food (ie: coconut aminos, etc). There isn't even an entry for grass-fed or cultured butter, even though I am sure there is some sort of a difference in nutrition there small though it may be. Those little differences add up over the course of a day to make a big difference. I'm not trying to be negative, just saying the site is basically still in it's infancy and needs time to grow...the potential is exciting to say the least.

A phone app with a barcode reader would go miles toward growing that database like lightning, but seems to be out of the reach of the site developer at this point in time.

Comment

• Ah well. I manually add things best I can, though as you mention there's a limit to just how much info we can get from them.

And I do love the info...it's why I bother tracking!

M.

Comment

• Found it difficult to add foods fitplay doesn't have metric option any other apps ?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X