Non-VFF minimalist/barefoot shoes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-VFF minimalist/barefoot shoes?

Does anybody have suggestions for man footwear other than vffs? I don't think I could do VFFs because my 2nd toes are real long and i've heard that can be a problem for them, and I wouldn't be able to wear them to work, which is where I do the majority of my shoe-wearing. Plus they're pretty expensive and... I hate how they look.

Any other shoes that are suggested and maybe economical? I've been trying to look for some and it seems like everything else is pretty much just bags with rubber soles that I put over my feet. I've tried to find some cheap mocassins but it seems like they all have pretty thick/dense rubber soles now which is some BS.

So far I'm thinking I may get some these

Amphibian 2010 (amphibian, barefoot, footwear, shoe, sock, sockwa) | amphibian | Sockwa. Tread Earth Lightly

you should really do a search on this as their are about 10,000 threads about this in the last month or so. short answer, water shoes/aqua socks.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I love the NB minimus runners!
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I'm ordering a pr of these next week
        STEM Footwear: Barefoot & Ultra-Minimalist Lifestyle - Barefoot Shoes
        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for suggestions, how much can you actually feel the ground with the NB's? The STEMs look really nice.

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
          you should really do a search on this as their are about 10,000 threads about this in the last month or so. short answer, water shoes/aqua socks.

Yeahhh I feel ya, I did do a really quick search and did see suggestions for ballet flats and kung fu shoes and water socks, the only thing that kind of concerns me is that I don't want my toes squeezed in and I didn't want to bump an old thread so I went ahead and made a new one.

Comment

well your options for an inexpensive minimalist shoe that wont squeeze your toes is really really limited. When i say inexpensive i mean kmart water shoes cost $7 inexpensive. there seems to be gold inside most dedicated minimalist shoes as i believe just about all of them are around $100.

having said that i have a pair of merrell trail gloves that i really like and i have used the kmart water shoes that i mentioned and liked them too. the water shoes are FAR more minimalist if thats really what you are going for. almost barefoot literally, where the merrells have a 4mm sole. also fwiw the water shoes are stretchy, or at least the ones i used were, they didnt feel confining at all to my toes
            Primal Chaos
            37yo 6'5"
            current 338lbs 49" waist
            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I got some softstar shoes RunAmoc DASH in brown. I had to custom order them because people don't want brown shoes? Anyway, they're pretty good. I like them more than my VFF KSO's. They feel better, I can wear socks with them, and they don't stink. I wear them to work. I get some comments about moccasins, but no one seems to care that much.

I was expecting them to be a bit taller and more shoe like. They're form fitting on the top, but the leather feels great and stretches to accommodate them. I had a seam that dug into my foot, but softstar suggesting smashing it with a dowl + hammer. It resolved the issue.

Anyway, here are some pictures of them.

2011-09-09_14-53-05&.jpg2011-09-09_14-51-15&.jpg2011-09-09_14-53-29&.jpg
              Prodistat
              Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                well your options for an inexpensive minimalist shoe that wont squeeze your toes is really really limited. When i say inexpensive i mean kmart water shoes cost $7 inexpensive. there seems to be gold inside most dedicated minimalist shoes as i believe just about all of them are around $100.

having said that i have a pair of merrell trail gloves that i really like and i have used the kmart water shoes that i mentioned and liked them too. the water shoes are FAR more minimalist if thats really what you are going for. almost barefoot literally, where the merrells have a 4mm sole. also fwiw the water shoes are stretchy, or at least the ones i used were, they didnt feel confining at all to my toes
                I see. I guess I might as well pick up some water shoes since they're so cheap anyways and maybe save up for something nicer later on. I just don't understand why minimalist shoes are as expensive as they are. I guess it's just because demand is so low?

Comment

i think its probably the other way around, not many manufacturers are making them and a lot of people want them. low supply and high demand always drives prices up

once some more companies start making them the prices will start to come down
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I do not feel as much in the NB as I do the Vivobarefoot. Both are awesome shoes. I also have a pair of merrel trail gloves that are nice.. perfer the others though
                    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I'll put another vote in for the minimus. They feel good and look good. Got several compliments on them at work, but I'm a cheater and I quite frankly love my nike free's. not a barefoot experience per say, but light weight, super free moving, and cushy. I work in an office/factory so having a super thin sole would frankly scare me out on the shop floor. I bought these to get used to barefoot walking, and honestly wear them way more than my VFF's or MB's. I also have a pair of huaraches from invisibleshoe.com which are also very comfortable, but not practical for work. The huaraches and VFF's are great for the trail, and I bet the MB's are also good for that, but they are also a great day to day shoe. If you can find a store that sells them try on the different options. I'll warn if you have big big toes, the VFF's seem kind of cramped, and I've had my fair share of ingrown toenails and the VFF's seemed to exacerbate the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Krautastic View Post
                        I'll warn if you have big big toes, the VFF's seem kind of cramped, and I've had my fair share of ingrown toenails and the VFF's seemed to exacerbate the problems.
                        If you have ANY kind of "nonstandard" toes, you will have trouble with VFFs. My big toes apparently do not point exactly straight ahead, and thus they are always getting rubbed along the outer edge by the shoes. Also my little toe on each foot is apparently too little, as they do not tend to stay in the toe pocket b/c they are so short. I have worn mine for walking a few miles each AM w/the dogs for the past couple years and they are going to wear thru probably next summer and for the price and fit, I will not be replacing them. They did not work to run in for the reasons I mentioned above and I have since found that water shoes do the same job for a fraction of the price. In addition, I live in Wisconsin and by using good wool socks inside, I can wear the water shoes all winter long in perfect comfort, something I could not do with the VFFs.

I'm sure for some folks the VFFs are worth every penny, but for me, the cheapo pool shoes actually work out better.

Comment

I love these! VERA COOL!

Comment

Working...
                          X