Great article for the ladies who might be afraid to "lift heavy things"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article for the ladies who might be afraid to "lift heavy things"

You will not get bulky! And you might gain weight... but you might want to look like this girl...

Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
    Get Motivated:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Sweeeeeeeet
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

She's amazing!
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Oh, lord, lucky gal! The beginning of my story is absolutely the same: lost stubborn post-pregnancy weight on CW and intervals, got miserable after ~ 1 year of maintaining it on CW, started heavy lifting/low carb dieting, tried anabolic diet, went into primal later + IF. I have no fear of barbell, I WANT big muscules, have been training for over a year now.

But my results just not there. My lifts stalled, and when I tried to gain weight (gained 12 lbs, from 122 lbs to 134 lbs) to 'bulk up' I gained 75% fat, and my lifts barely went up. I am still struggling to lose the bulk (since January! sitting at ~ 125 lbs), and lost all the measly 4 lbs of muscule I manage to add right back.

I wish I knew what the problem was and why fat just doesn't go away. I am trying to do 2 lifting workouts with the barbell now, 1 kettlebell workout and then do HIIT and walking on all other days of the week to mobilize that stubborn fat.

I do not want spectacular 'contest-ready' results, I just want to get to the point when i put on the swimsuit and look like I lift weights, not look like I am 'you are not fat'.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Wow amazing story, just the thing I needed to read today.

Comment

Awwww ... I love Nerd Fitness - great site.
            My primal journal that I don't update enough:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Comment

Lol, I posted a link at the dieting site, and a girl goes like: "Wow, so inspring, I gotta step up my strength training! I am going to do this DVD...."

Sheesh. Did not you READ it? Didn't you get that Jillian Michaels etc DVDs do NOT give you the real strength training, the one that get Staci her body? Don't you get the words: "GET UNDER THE BAR!" Should they be printed in big red letters?

I might not get to the happy place Staci is in, but I do see and feel the difference bwteen doing the Ripped-off 1000 DVD or 30 Day Shred-Your-Muscules and building up to a body-weight squat 3x a week!

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                Oh, lord, lucky gal! The beginning of my story is absolutely the same: lost stubborn post-pregnancy weight on CW and intervals, got miserable after ~ 1 year of maintaining it on CW, started heavy lifting/low carb dieting, tried anabolic diet, went into primal later + IF. I have no fear of barbell, I WANT big muscules, have been training for over a year now.

But my results just not there. My lifts stalled, and when I tried to gain weight (gained 12 lbs, from 122 lbs to 134 lbs) to 'bulk up' I gained 75% fat, and my lifts barely went up. I am still struggling to lose the bulk (since January! sitting at ~ 125 lbs), and lost all the measly 4 lbs of muscule I manage to add right back.

I wish I knew what the problem was and why fat just doesn't go away. I am trying to do 2 lifting workouts with the barbell now, 1 kettlebell workout and then do HIIT and walking on all other days of the week to mobilize that stubborn fat.

I do not want spectacular 'contest-ready' results, I just want to get to the point when i put on the swimsuit and look like I lift weights, not look like I am 'you are not fat'.
                just out of curiousity what does your typical lifting workout consist of? what type of exercises are you doing with how much weight?

also to build muscle you have to increase the amount of weight you lift as your strength increases. not sure what your progression looks like but if you are lifting the same amount of weight every time you workout you wont ever build muscle
                Primal Chaos
                37yo 6'5"
                6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                current 338lbs 49" waist
                goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I started with the 5x5 Strong Lifts (SQT, OHP, DL, BBR and BP), built up to about a BW squat (I weigh ~ 123-127 lbs), 0.5 BW OHP, ~ 1.5 BW DL (175 lbs), and 3/4 BW bench. And I stalled. I went to 3x5, microloaded. Did a 12 week MadCow cycle, gaining slightly on the squat - I can now squat 128 lbs 5x from 125 lbs, and 130 lbs ~ 3x; almost got 80 lbs on the bench (4x) and BBR at 86 lbs (a bit higher), and dropped OHP drammatically (for me; from 65 lbs back to 60).

I started a new cycle on Madcow (5x5) with the goals of 82 lbs bench, 132 lbs SQT, 94 lbs BBR and 65 lbs OHP and DL of 185 lbs, but what I do while the weights are building up, I do OHP and BP and SQT sequences as a warm-up, and then lift the final suggested weight in a 3x5 regimen. DL I really love on the MadCow volume-wise, so I just do it that way. I set Madcow for a very slow build-up (8 weeks) with 1-3 lbs increases. I do not do the 'light' squatting day, because I now do MadCow 2x a week, and 1 dynamic kettlebell+TRX workout. I try to do chin-ups and pull-ups after every workout (I can do 3 full chin-ups, but only 1 pull-up and that off the toes)

For kettlebells, I am right now at ~ 15 lbs kettlebells for everything (down from 20 lbs, because I just restarted them), and do 3 sets of 12 reps with the breaks taken by Figure 8's and double-handed swing. It takes me about 40 min to getthrough kettlebell workout non-stop. The excersises I do are one-handed swings, side lunge & lunge pass; one handed snatch; side bend; curl and press; inclined deltoid raise. On the TRX I so far am only trying one-handed squats.

I add planks and push-ups to my free-flow and stretch yoga-inspired sessions (4x a week, trying to do them during the days off too, but so far no luck)

I also walk every day for at least 45 min and garden.

Oh, and I used to try to put 1 run, 1 swim and 1 Zumba class a week, till the summer came and I started gardening. Then I started sprinting & aggravated my bunion. Starting to bring the cardio back now.
                  Last edited by Leida; 07-27-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

like i said i was just curious, it looks like you got everything covered. id almost say you are doing to much but thats probably because i dont have time to do all that stuff!
                    Primal Chaos
                    37yo 6'5"
                    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                    current 338lbs 49" waist
                    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I agree, that was an awesome post on nerdfitness. I will share it with my wife.

@Leida: I had a similar experience with trying to gain muscle. About a year ago, I tried to add some muscle and keep my diet low-carb so I added a good bit of fat to my diet (coconut milk, heavy cream, etc.) and I ended up gaining more fat than muscle. Have you given Leangains a try? Adding lots of carbs to my post-workout meal while keeping fat intake low has worked really well for me.

I also have been having good success with the 5/3/1 program. I think the deload weeks are crucial for progressing once you get near your maxes.

Comment

Awesome article! I want to be this chick. Gonna share it with friends. I'm trying to convince my sister to do something closer to primal eating. She's a recovering anorexic (or former, I don't know what she thinks about that). She is doing Jillian Michaels DVDs everyday and is not gaining an ounce of muscle. She and my mom still think that I need grains though [[rolls eyes]] and are trying to push quinoa.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Yep, I am doing LG for at least 14 hours at least 5 days a week and stagger my calories!

I used to have 1 serving of grain after each workout (buckwheat and millet), but I stopped when I went AD etc. I keep increasing fats because it is said to keep hunger at bay and everyone keeps screaming at me: ADD FAT, ADD FAT, ADD FAT!!!! So, I am eating like a slice of bacon every day after coming home while cooking dinner & try to cook with butter (yuk). I just started having sweet potatoes on Saturdays (after 3 days of lifting with 1 day recovery). Should I catually cut back on fat then? I just don't get it with fat. Some people want me to have 60% from fat, some tell me to drop it. Confused.

I am planning to try 5/3/1 after I do this combinational kettlebell+ 3x5/madcow lifting combo. Thing is I really miss kettlebells and they train me very differently (dynamic, get different mucule groups), and I was not recovering when I was lifting 3x and doing 1 KB workout (and Zumba, and swimming, and running.... DUH!!!)

EDIT: My lowest period was when I was waking up at 3:15 am to do 30 Day Shred & yoga before work. Taught a bootcamp at lunch. And went for a run after work. And I was whining: I do 3 hours of hard-core work a day, I can barely get off the couch, and I am not loosing weight, woe is me!!!! I should run 4x a week!!!! I cannot believe it....
                          Last edited by Leida; 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                            Should I catually cut back on fat then? I just don't get it with fat. Some people want me to have 60% from fat, some tell me to drop it. Confused.
                            Yes, if you really want to give Leangains a try, your post-workout meal must be low in fat and high in carbs. I tried doing like you say you are doing (adding a small amount of starch PWO, but keeping my diet high in fat) and it did not work well at all.

It's not just the fasting and calorie-cycling, the carb/fat ratios of your meals must also fluctuate. For some good examples of post-workout meals, check out ChocoTacos 72 hours carb refeed thread. Personally, I just eat a few pounds of potatoes and a pound or so of lean meat as the basis of my post-workout meals. If you want, you can have a higher fat/lower carb meal later in the day, but your PWO meal should be really high carb and really low fat with a good amount of protein.

High fat is great for losing weight and maintaining muscle, but in my experience, it is not the best for building muscle.
                            Last edited by yodiewan; 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Nice! I love LG, I really do, but getting info from that website is like pulling teeth. If you have a handy link on the ratios he recommends, I will be so very greatful! I have read his basic article on the meal scheduling, and I find it wonderful, but I didn't catch the ratios.

Comment

Working...
                              X