Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Lion Bakery - we make grain-free breads, crackers, cakes and cookies!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great idea! I think it's absolutely true that those who eat grain-free baked goods daily are fooling themselves if they think they're eating paleo, primal, traditional foods, nutrient-dense, or any other idea of healthy eating.

But sometimes you have a birthday. And you need a birthday cake. And your daughter is gluten intolerant. And then I'll order from you guys, and hope for a location to open some day near me!

I do have one quibble - agave is, best I can tell, *extremely* processed. It appears to be manmade honey, and by manmade, I mean in a lab, not a kitchen. Just as processed as HFCS.

But I appreciate the idea! Better you figuring out the chemistry and making that birthday cake than me!
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteLionBakingCo View Post
      I respect your personal eating style however almond flour is just ground almonds. We go through so much of it that it never gets rancid - and we store it in the fridge.
      I used to eat ground flax seed. When I traveled I'd keep a bag ready-ground in the cooler. It usually started to smell awful within a week. That's because PUFAs oxidize so easily once the integrity of the seed is broken. PUFAs also react easily with sugar. So let's take some partially oxidized PUFAs, add sugar, and heat the mess up. What does AGE stand for again? The ingredients may all be primal, but the resulting product is not, at least in my book. Besides, the last thing I need is to get used to eating cookies and pastries again. Crackers, OK, I could get behind the occasional cracker strictly as a convenience, but I've been doing just fine without them.

Gordo

Comment

I agree with most others, it seems very well intentioned and I hope your business does great, but it seems very counter intuitive to what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to cut out sweets and all the bad stuff so that I stop craving them. The occassional treat is one thing, but for me, it would be harder to draw the line if I eat these types of deserts and call it healthy. That's just a personal preference, and I might be going overboard because not only do I not eat agave, I don't really eat any honey either.

Comment

Pale Leo~
          Check into ditching that naxty ol' agave and switching to coconut crystals or syrup. Many natural chefs are now getting clued in.
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
            Since Mark gets to define primal, and he sells protein powder, then I suspect so. I wouldn't touch the stuff. I avoid all highly processed foods and all lightly processed foods subject to rapid spoilage. In this case, protein powder is definitely a highly processed food-like substance.

Gordo

Very diplomatic.
            www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

Comment

If you read our website closely and don't just make assumptions without reading carefully you will see that nearly all of our goods are strictly primal - esp our buns/biscuits. These fit exactly into a primal lifestyle. We are grain-free, refined sugar free first and then gluten-free. Please refer to our buns and biscuits section. We created these buns to fit into our own primal lifestyle and we can assure you they are not "crap". Our cookies can be made entorely with honey - yes Grok ate honey on occasion. We're not saying eat them every day - except for the buns which can be eaten every day (we do!).

Comment

Tried coconut crystals and they taste yucky in our products and make them sticky. We do honey only too for paleo/primal folk.

Check out our savory breads/biscuits/buns - they contain no sweetener and are strictly primal. In any event we cater to low GI epilepsy kids too and they prefer agave to honey because of the lower GI. Stabilizing blood sugar prevents their seizures - hence the agave. We also cater to the gluten-free crowd yes.

We have to walk a balance between tasty and healthy but I think our products are healthier than most of the refined sugar and wheat laden junk on the market these days. Again - see our buns/biscuits - very primal :-)

E and J

Comment

Ww are more than just 'sweets'. See our comprehenisve range of crackers and buns/biscuits - all primal/paleo! AND no sweeteners!

Comment

Again, if you store almond flour in the freezer like we do it does not get rancid. See our biscuits, buns and crackers. They are primal/paleo. We like to offer our guests crackers when they stop by.

Best,

E and J

Comment

So when you 'cheat' what do you choose? And don't tell me that you never cheat :-)

I can't count the times I've been served rancid nuts or bought nuts from healthy stores when thet are aleady rancid. Our almond flour is never rancid - I'm picky so make sure of that.

E and J

Comment

Thanks for your support MamaGrok,

We substitute all honey upon request :-) Yeah sometimes you need a birthday cake. Our buns/crackers/breads are all strictly primal however. We eat 'em every day with our eggs!

E and J

Comment

Mr Ivy Blue,

If we're so far from primal/paleo then why is Paleo magazine going to feature us in their magazine and why do people like Sarah Fragoso of "Everyday Paleo" endorse us?

Roar!

Comment

Turns out almond flour is Primal after all: The Many Uses of Almond Meal | Mark's Daily Apple
                            www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

Comment

Of course it is. We're primal too :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pizzmor View Post
                                Turns out almond flour is Primal after all
                                I never said that it wasn't. It just starts going bad the second you grind it. Just because it doesn't smell rancid doesn't mean that significant oxidation hasn't occurred.

I know that there are lots of bread-heads and sugar-hounds who miss their junk carbs and will probably eat a lot of this stuff. It's clearly better than the other similar products you can buy and the consumers are all grown up and everything, so hopefully they'll use common sense and self restraint.

Gordo

Comment

Working...
                                X