Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Barefoot-esque Skid-Free Shoes Exist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Barefoot-esque Skid-Free Shoes Exist?

I usually run around the house barefoot and wear sandals around town, but at my job (restaurant) I am required to wear skid-free shoes. I've looked around, but it doesn't seem like a skid-free shoe can co-exist with a shoe that emulates being barefoot due to the harder sole that may be required to have a skid-free bottom.

The shoes have to look professional, but I still want them to be better than my skid-free shoes that I wear with orthotics. I really want to move away from orthotics, especially because they cause my feet to hurt after work and aren't in line with the PB.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Would a trail shoe work? I'm thinking of the Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove.

Comment

The tough glove looks way more professional, since it's leather. Still not a dress shoe. I find mine slippery on wet tiles floors, but then what isn't?

Gordo

Comment

Swim shoes are great, and could even accomodate your arch supports while you transition from them. I have a plain black pair with rubber-type soles.
        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

It's possible that a trail shoe might work. I looked at those when I was looking around, but wasn't sure if they would have enough grab for the tile floors.

@Digby: What type of swim shoes?

Comment

The Speedo water shoes that Target sells have a very sticky silicone (?) sole. Academy has water shoes for $5 (may vary by region) and I think they're available in solid black.

Comment

The new RunAmocs look pretty nice, though I'm not exactly sure that the sole is non-skid.

Comment

defintely buying a pair of the RunAmok Dash's next week.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking into all of them. All of them seem like possibilities. I'll have to look up skid-free some more to see which ones qualify.

Comment

I work in a restaurant too. I would say don't be a pussy and get some red wings or something. paleo man didn't have to worry about stepping on a grease patch or whatever while running around during the dinner rush.

Comment

So, are you saying to just wear the work boots? Your statement of don't be a pussy and get some red wings shoes seems to be contradictory.

Comment

Look at some of the SoftStar shoes that have vibram soles...they should be non-slip. I have a couple different pair and love them.
                        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Vibram Five Fingers have a siped sole which will be practically non-slip on smooth surfaces, wet, or not. On rough ground, their Treks or Treksports will hold their own - I walk and run regularly in boggy country in my Treksports and not slipped yet. More so, I can run up inclines criss-crossed with sheeptracks; just run straight up and over them. No slipping.
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Originally posted by KansanHealthNut View Post
                            So, are you saying to just wear the work boots? Your statement of don't be a pussy and get some red wings shoes seems to be contradictory.
                            Actually, if you read it carefully - "don't be a pussy and get some red wings", he thinks that people who wear Red Wings are pussies.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
                              Actually, if you read it carefully - "don't be a pussy and get some red wings", he thinks that people who wear Red Wings are pussies.

Gordo
                              No. What I meant was that the OP should stop worrying that the shoes back of house staff usually wear aren't primal, and get some red wings (or danskos or whatever)
                              Like I said I don't give a shit if my shoes are primal-approved when I'm running around like crazy in a hot, slippery kitchen and up and down stairs. I want shoes with grip that will protect my feet even if I accidentally pour hot oil or boiling water on them. Minimalist shoes won't really cut it in that kind of work environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X