No announcement yet.

Jack Kruse aka The Quilt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFH: Thanks for the page. The high protein kick start makes a lot of sense.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

No prob. And note that the Glucagon comments agree with Protein Power. That books says the same thing.

Comment

Dr. Kruse talked a little bit about my question on the 30 min wake-up breakfast here in this comment. With all the questions about it, he'll obviously need to explain it better before people understand what the theory behind it means. That was a good explanation in the book excerpt, though DFH.
        -James
        Just a n00b

Comment

Nutrition Journal | Full text | Impact of breakfast on daily energy intake - an analysis of absolute versus relative breakfast calories
          In an experimental setting Cotton et al. [1,2] have shown in normal weight subjects that an energy-rich breakfast leads to greater daily energy intake indicating that compensatory undereating during subsequent meals does not occur.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
            Nutrition Journal | Full text | Impact of breakfast on daily energy intake - an analysis of absolute versus relative breakfast calories
            In an experimental setting Cotton et al. [1,2] have shown in normal weight subjects that an energy-rich breakfast leads to greater daily energy intake indicating that compensatory undereating during subsequent meals does not occur.
            Good post, but 50g of protein has a pretty big calorie load for me, but I'm going to keep at it for a while.
            This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I wonder why Kruse says <25g in one place and <50g in the Oprah post?

Comment

Originally posted by Digby View Post
                I wonder why Kruse says <25g in one place and <50g in the Oprah post?
                25g is more in line with my normal breakfast which usually does carry me 5-6 hours. The last couple of days, I've been trying more protein. I find it hard to finish and I'm not finding myself particularly less hungry when my normal lunch time rolls around at 2 or 3 pm (I normally eat breakfast around 8:30 or 9 am). So I think I'm going to stop artificially pushing protein. I still never got to 50g and I was stuffed at 35-40g. I have a hard time with the idea of forcing myself to eat beyond the point my body says it's done.

The protein requirements laid out in the pages of Mastering Leptin the DFH posted don't seem to be particularly high. They're talking about having a few eggs or a couple spoons of nut butter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                  They didn't differentiate between what kinds of energy, though, did they? I can't see a section where the researchers defined macronutrients.

This approach is intriguing me so far because of the idea of regulating appetite. 50g of protein within 30 minutes seems too arbitrary and isn't well supported - but I know from n=1 that there are some days when I can fast and some days where I feel really awful if I even go the full 5 hours. I'm trying this approach to see if eat the high protein breakfast is a key variable.
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Originally posted by NomadRip View Post
                    Dr. Kruse talked a little bit about my question on the 30 min wake-up breakfast here in this comment. With all the questions about it, he'll obviously need to explain it better before people understand what the theory behind it means. That was a good explanation in the book excerpt, though DFH.
                    Thanks James. I hadn't read the comments before, and he did explain a lot there.
                    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

This was my third morning doing the high protein. I'm surprised by how good I'm feeling, especially since I was not a breakfast person.
                      WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

Originally posted by SugarBaby View Post
                        This was my third morning doing the high protein. I'm surprised by how good I'm feeling, especially since I was not a breakfast person.
                        Good for you. I'm on day 3 too. I feel fine but miss my grazing approach. I'm trying to stick it out and give it a couple of weeks but I put 1 lb on already and even though I don't count calories or weigh things, I would have thought I was eating less. I'll give it some time unless I gain any more, not worth it.

Comment

DFH - do you understand the cortisol thing?? It seems to be a key reason for the early timing of breakfast - to stop the rise of cortisol on waking.

I did the protein/fat breakfast for the last 2 days, and each time my appetite didn't come back for 10 hours at least and I had a much smaller dinner than I'd been having. I didn't have it really early, though. One small problem is that it caused bloating and yesterday a bit of a stomach ache, which is a bad sign re IBS - maybe I'm building to a flare. I think it's to do with quantity and ease of digestion (as in lots of food, not easy to digest). I'm considering trying a shake to get the protein and fat without the quantity to see if that works just as well.
                          Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

I'm experimenting with this approach.

Jac, I wonder whether working up to it might help. If your body is not used to eating this much protein this early it might rebel, but after a while it might settle down. Just a thought.

I think this early morning thing is temporary. Once you are leptin sensitive you can go back to a later breakfast if you want. That's how I read it anyway.

Interesting stuff.
                            My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Jac View Post
                              DFH - do you understand the cortisol thing?? It seems to be a key reason for the early timing of breakfast - to stop the rise of cortisol on waking.

I'm not sure. Cortisol can get very complex. I don't think there is a simple answer to that.

Comment

It seems that complexity rules in the nutrition world!! I wondered about cortisol because it apparently works in concert with leptin, so presumably if you're leptin sensitive and have normal/low levels of cortisol, then the early morning spike would make you hungry. I dunno whether I've got that right or not, though!! But I also read that high protein raises cortisol . . . so that leaves me confused again, lol.

I had my protein hit again this morning - have lost 300g in the last 2 days, but that might be because it's the weekend and I'm sleeping better. Will have to wait and see.

Jo, I know it's supposed to be temporary - I'm just bugged by the apparently random numbers being assigned to Kruse's instructions and in spite of reading and asking questions there are no satisfactory answers to questions about timing and grams of protein. In fact, the reading about cortisol seems to completely contradict the instruction to eat a hefty dose of protein first thing. I do think he's on the right track with protein and fat loading at the start of the day, though.
                                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Working...
                                X