No announcement yet.

Any other books I should be looking at?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other books I should be looking at?

I am in amazon.com right now, poised to purchase The Primal Blueprint. Are there any other books I should consider before I hit the purchase button? Someone mentioned Good Calories, Bad Calories in another thread- is that one worth it? Any others?

I checked out GCBC from the library yesterday, it will be my inflight reading book tomorrow (going on vacation). Another book I want to read is Primal Body- Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas, went to Barnes & Nobles, they didn't have it. I plan to buy it after I return from my vacation next month. Get the movie Fathead by Tom Naughton - I haven't watched it yet but have seen the trailer on you tube whose link I just posted on the Food Inc Movie thread.

Btw, here's an article that the author of GCBC, Gary Taubes, wrote for NYT way back in 2002. It's a long one, but do read it. That should give you an idea whether or not to buy GCBC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...tml?sec=health

Comment

I've ordered GCBC from the library, they are getting it in for me especially. From what I understand the article he wrote back in 2002 he has said in an interview that he has changed his stance on a few things, I guess he's done a ton more research since then. Protein Power is a good book too. And I highly recommended Fat Head, it's a great movie/documentary, great for skeptical family also

Comment

Maba, that article is awesome! The 80's are what did me in with the low fat way. It's a hard mentality to change. Thanks for sharing that. Have a great vacation!

Dollface, I've got Protein Power- it's a good one. Definitely will check out Fat Head- thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

I've heard Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon is a good one if you're on the fence about incorporating intermittent fasting into your regimen.

Comment

"Body by Science" by Dr. Doug McGuff and John Little is great for the "lift heavy things once in a while". While not primal per se, they use a lot of science to reach the conclusion that infrequent but extremely high intensity challenges are the best for building strength. Very good at explaining the science and citing actual supporting studies.

Comment

Here are some of my top recommendations:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-b...ested-reading/

Comment

Oh, and thanks for buying my book!

Comment

@Mark-thanks for the list of books-I always love to read well researched, well thought out theories that can influence my thinking-this looks like a pretty good list of books to dive into (I actually have three of them already). I like your book too-and appreciate your passion.

@chmcclellan-body by science is a very good book and Dr. McGuff's explanations seem sound. Our traditional chronic exercise routines (yes, i do them) are definitely not primal-It would have been dangerous to expend the limited energy on constant muscle recovery and glycogen reloading. As we don't live in times of limited resources, this isn't a problem although I often question the health benefits of chronic physical over-stress (although I still do it). Dr. McGuff's ideas (very much a Mike Mentzer philosophy-not new) resolve this-consistent hard but non frequent training. I do a big 5 (often a big 8) workout in my weekly routine along with two other less intense free weight workouts. Is is too much-I don't know. Maybe I'll give the every 7 day training a try here soon.

Comment

@tman: Pretty much the same here. I'm into the 4th chapter of BBS and I think everything in the book makes a lot of sense. But I simply cannot swith over to only going to the gym once a week. It just doesn't feel right, but it probably IS right.

This is probably the single biggest concern people have with the book.

Comment

@madMUHHH-I just did a Big 5 workout today (ok, it was a big 11) and it really is a satisfying way to work out. I think if I were to do one Big (5-11) and one barbell workout per week I could probably be ok. I met with a fellow named Ben bocchicchio (a very nice guy who was glad to meet with me and answer questions)who happens to be one of the creators of the super slow way of training in the 70's (before Hutchins). He said he has gotten great results with clients doing 2 high intensity, slow rep cadence total body workouts per week. He typically would have them do a Monday and a Friday workout. That was good to hear, as one time per week is just too much sit time for me. Anyway, for what it's worth.

Comment

Whats wrong with going to the gym only once a week? I have to read that book

Comment

that's me as well btw, after trying to fix the signature link thing

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                          "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

serialSinner-According to Dr. McGuff, once a week is preferred. But I've been indoctrinated for so long with the virtues of chronic exercise, I psychologically have a hard time with it. Actually, I still don't think once a week is enough for serious weight loss or serious muscle gain. But, for those who want to get stronger and be more functional with the least time investment-I think it's great.

Comment

I just went mad on Fishpond today (bit like amazon but Australian) and ordered the following via recommendations (thanks Mark and Ecala):

Primal Body-Primal Mind: Empower Your Total Health the Way Evolution Intended (...and Didn't)

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health

Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes (no recommendation for this one just liked the title)

Now just have to wait for them to be delivered!

With regards to going to the gym just once a week this is something that I do quiet often, either one or two times per week and no cardio apart from every day walking around and a sprint every now and then if I feel up to it and I have been getting fantastic results in terms of fat loss and muscle development (as opposed to chronic cardio and training at the gym 6 days a week - that is so overrated!).

Comment

Working...
                              X