How to best fight off an impending cold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to best fight off an impending cold

Just wondering what methods have worked best for MDA-ers in warding off colds and their symptoms in the past. (I know this has come up already in a past forum, but I haven't the slightest idea where to find it).

My "muggle" household is in the midst of getting hit rather hard and I've woken up this morning with a slight sore throat myself (at this point, it is not full-on, but I feel the "specter" of the thing). In about 1.5-2 hours, I'll be drinking down a "power shake" before school: ~3c broccoli, ~1c strawberries blended in 1.5c yogurt drink.

I have not been sick at all in the last 1.5 yrs. AT LEAST; I have my fingers crossed that I don't break my "streak" anytime soon :-D

Thanks to all for any helpful tips you can suggest.

Gargling with warm salt water every few hours when I have the specter of sore throat has helped me in the past. Hot chicken soup, with lots of black pepper, garlic, a pinch of turmeric (if you have on hand - it is anti-inflammatory). There's a thread here on common cold remedies, will add it here if i find it.

ETA: Found it:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...kness-Remedies

Comment

Chicken broth. Simmer bones/bony parts for as long as possible.

I'm convinced it works because it has immensely eased some full-blown colds for me in the past.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Chicken soup - it isn't known as Jewish penicillin for nothing!

Comment

Isn't chicken soup the Jewish cure-all?

*disclaimer - I'm not saying this to be racist. I heard somewhere that they have incredible belief in the power of soup to heal.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I had the same issue... doubled up on the vitamins and ate an orange every day. Never got any worse than a mild sore throat while everyone at work was out for days...

Comment

Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D

Comment

Tons of C.

Feed a cold.

Hot showers.

Eucalyptus baths.

Rest.

Water.

Comment

Cod Liver Oil, Liver, Egg Yolks, and what they said

Comment

Coconut oil! Nuff Said!

sigpic
                    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Echinacea, GoldenSeal (root), Elderberry Syrup (amazing!), Vitamin D, "Oscillococcinum" (Homeopathic Drug). Gave all of these to my sick kiddos last night and this morning the 3 yr old looked perfectly fine, after only one day of this 'crud' and the 10 yr old didn't have a fever.

Anything with 'heat', like Cayenne Pepper (you can find them in capsule form) will get the blood moving and helps to kill the bugs too.

Comment

A good 30 minutes in the sauna till you can't take it anymore

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

this recipe per Chris Kresser will knock a cold out if you catch it early. use a juicer:

-1 inch (about a "thumb" size) of ginger
                          -tsp cayenne pepper
                          -3 oz apple cider vinegar
                          -juice of a whole lemon
                          -1/2 tsp turmeric
                          -5 cloves of garlic
                          -enough water to make it about 8-12 oz

make more and sip constantly throughout the day.
                          "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

Comment

Lots and lots of ascorbic acid.
                            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Airborne usually works for me-basically a big dose of Vitamin C with other vitamins and herbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X