Body by science

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body by science

Have any of you guys read this book? What did you think?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

I think that if you're an untrained college-age person, it would work. The studies they reference all use that population. Of course, anything that group does will increase their fitness rapidly.

Gordo

Comment

This has been gone over quite a bit. The basic story is: Everyone (I think) who trains people for a living and has worked with athletes thinks it's garbage, but a couple of guys here swear it is the only way to get strong.
      Basically, anything you do will work for a while if you are totally new to strength training, which is why BBS "works" - but do any really strong people do this? The book's author isn't even particularly strong looking.
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
        I think that if you're an untrained college-age person, it would work. The studies they reference all use that population. Of course, anything that group does will increase their fitness rapidly.

Gordo
        +

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
        This has been gone over quite a bit. The basic story is: Everyone (I think) who trains people for a living and has worked with athletes thinks it's garbage, but a couple of guys here swear it is the only way to get strong.
        Basically, anything you do will work for a while if you are totally new to strength training, which is why BBS "works" - but do any really strong people do this? The book's author isn't even particularly strong looking.

= Truth
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Thanks guys! I don't think I'll be buying it then.
          "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
          Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyria View Post
            Thanks guys! I don't think I'll be buying it then.
            Good choice. I got it at the library. I also got "Starting Strength" there. I ended up buying a copy of that one.

Gordo

Comment

Body by science is really a fantastic read. Lots of great info. My buddy and i have been using the method now for well over 2 years and have gained serious strength. Weve both done over 400 on the deadlift for reps. Read the book, even if you dont "AGREE" with the info, you will still learn alot. Obviously not everyone posting on this thread has even read the book. Wheather or not someone "looks" strong is not the point. As the book explans clearly in the first couple chapters, people who "look" strong are often fat, or they have a genetic mutation that allows them to have a once in a lifetime combo of lots of muscle and very little body fat. Myostatin deletion. Google: belgian blue cattle and you will see exactly the same mutation in cows who do exactly zero exercise and eat grass...

Comment

I like how people disagree with science with opinion.

Seriously, it works fine, and the book is a wealth of information.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanS View Post
                  Body by science is really a fantastic read. Lots of great info. My buddy and i have been using the method now for well over 2 years and have gained serious strength. Weve both done over 400 on the deadlift for reps. Read the book, even if you dont "AGREE" with the info, you will still learn alot. Obviously not everyone posting on this thread has even read the book. Wheather or not someone "looks" strong is not the point. As the book explans clearly in the first couple chapters, people who "look" strong are often fat, or they have a genetic mutation that allows them to have a once in a lifetime combo of lots of muscle and very little body fat. Myostatin deletion. Google: belgian blue cattle and you will see exactly the same mutation in cows who do exactly zero exercise and eat grass...
                  I would read it, it seems like it could be interesting, but the library hasn't got it and I don't want to potentially waste my money buying it ...
                  Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyria View Post
                    Have any of you guys read this book? What did you think?
                    What makes you think anybody here knows what's going on? Read the book and decide for yourself...
                    “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN
                    YouTube - bodybyscience's Channel

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post

It's called escalation of commitment. If one's expectation is to see how much exercise one can tolerate or that one's quarter horse genetics can somehow build a clydesdale physique, then BBS is definitely a huge disappointment. But, if one wants to consider the 80/20 rule for exercise, that is the concept of minimum amount of exercise (20% effort) to gain the health benefits (80% results) and what's happening metabolically during physical activity, then BBS is definitely a wealth of information.

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post

If you've read the book, maybe you can answer this for me, since I'm looking for the details of the studies he uses. Are any of them with trained athletes over more than a year? I ask seriously, because I have no interest in the book because it doesn't claim to help my goals.

My position is not that BBS doesn't work, but that unless your sole concern is doing the bare minimum, other things work better.
                        Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                          If you've read the book, maybe you can answer this for me, since I'm looking for the details of the studies he uses. Are any of them with trained athletes over more than a year? I ask seriously, because I have no interest in the book because it doesn't claim to help my goals.

My position is not that BBS doesn't work, but that unless your sole concern is doing the bare minimum, other things work better.
                          I'll ask him when I see him and Mark in a few weeks at the HIT conference center. There was a followup book to it of questions from readers and I believe this question is answered there.

Comment

Thanks!
                            Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                              I actually followed up and read the studies that were referenced as I was primarily interested in getting stronger. Not one looked at trained athletes. Every single one used untrained college kids. The nature of doing research at a university and the nature of serious athletes probably means that this won't change soon. I agree with the 80/20 comment above, BTW. If you're at zero, anything will help. If your goal is strictly to look good at the beach, the program will probably work for you. If your goal is to maximize your strength to weight ratio, look elsewhere. Since I was already in decent shape, I passed.

I also strongly disagree with the premise that using machines is useful or desirable if you want functional strength.

Gordo
                              Last edited by gordo; 05-06-2011, 06:19 AM. Reason: added the last line

Comment

Working...
                              X