No announcement yet.

Easy to grow herbs and spices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onions are sensitive to day length. You need to be sure to get a variety that's compatible with your latitude.

Gordo

Comment

There are lots of herbs and even some spices that taste somewhat lemon-y, and work as a substitute for lemongrass. Lemongrass can also be frozen (freezing screws up the texture, but that's not really what you use lemongrass for most of the time).

Lemongrass grows like a weed where I am, but I'm in the subtropics (it likes the shade under my banana palms).
      "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
        Depends on your definition of cold. I call anything below 0F cold. We generally see -20F here every year. I don't know of any varieties of rosemary that will tolerate that.

Gordo
        I agree that is too cold for rosemary!

Comment

Originally posted by Doddibot View Post
          There are lots of herbs and even some spices that taste somewhat lemon-y, and work as a substitute for lemongrass. Lemongrass can also be frozen (freezing screws up the texture, but that's not really what you use lemongrass for most of the time).

Lemongrass grows like a weed where I am, but I'm in the subtropics (it likes the shade under my banana palms).
          You are right; I forgot about lemonbalm, which I grew a few years back.
          This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
          Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
            Basil - easy, needs good sun, at leadt 6 hours, will not overwinter
            Thyme - slooooow growing, will die if overwatered
            Huh. so I shouldn't have planted those two together, with the oregano in the middle? No wonder the basil is the only one still alive!
            Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Working...
            X