Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new Magazine - Oxygen is anti-Primal

Hi there!

I'm super tired of reading Oxygen magazines that focus on chronic cardio, higher-carb and low-fat... Along with the million ads that just repeat themselves.

Since I love reading magazines, I was hoping that someone might recommend better more primal-friendly reading?

Thanks!
    Kristina

I haven't found one. There are gluten-free mags at Whole Foods but they are in no way Primal. For cooking I'd look to traditional magazines like Saveur or Bon Appetit. Traditional French cooking, like Julia Child, is pretty Primal if you leave out the flour thickeners. A Primal/Paleo lifestyle magazine is a great business opportunity for somebody.

Comment

The problem is that ad revenue creates magazine profits, not the price the reader pays for the mag. Primal/Paleo eating involves very little packaged or processed foods, fancy fitness equipment, weird supplements, and so on, and thus loses a major ad revenue stream in comparison to most other health-oriented lifestyle magazines.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I really like Outside magazine. You obviously won't find recipes, but their fitness guides are great (mostly...still subject to some CW) and the features keep me stoked about getting outside, imagine that.
        The Paleo Periodical
        It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
          The problem is that ad revenue creates magazine profits, not the price the reader pays for the mag. Primal/Paleo eating involves very little packaged or processed foods, fancy fitness equipment, weird supplements, and so on, and thus loses a major ad revenue stream in comparison to most other health-oriented lifestyle magazines.
          If "Clean eating" can do a magazine, so can primal/paleo

Vibram and the many new competitors
          Protein powders (oh please, I bet about 30% of the people on paleo/primal use PP's at one time or another)
          Supplements -lemmme think what has been recommended to me or someone on the forum in the past week....fishoil, magnesium, D, BCAA, KI (just kidding)......
          The avocado council or whoever
          Coconut products
          Grassfed meat sellers
          Larabars (Lets not forget that you only have to be vaguely primal to advertise primal...after all your biggest market are those on the borderline)
          Primal getaways/outdoor adventure stuff

Oh there is plenty of advertisement to be had. And a magazine would spur a market. I foresee the company that makes the little om necklaces to sell in the back of YJ and the mini runner in RW coming up with a little grok pendant.

Damn...maybe I need to start a magazine.
          MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations for you, but if Oprah follows the advice given in her Oxygen magazine, it would give sufficient clues why her weight yo-yo's up and down and she struggles to stay below 200 lbs.
            Last edited by goodangels; 03-20-2011, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Magazines are too 20th century for me, lol.

Comment

muscle and fitness hers (my fave) has, that i've payed attention to, more meat and veggie based recipes than grainy ones and several issues back they did an article on paleo eating
                beautiful
                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

Comment

With all the fascinating info on the internet, I'm amazed that people still buy magazines. Other than having something to take to the bathroom with you, what's the point? (Take in a cross-word puzzle instead.)

Comment

dapoxetine priligy buy

here priligy review
                    and generic propecia india

Comment

How to report a spamming troll? Do not click on the links above, friends.

Comment

Originally posted by I am Grokette View Post
                        Hi there!

I'm super tired of reading Oxygen magazines that focus on chronic cardio, higher-carb and low-fat... Along with the million ads that just repeat themselves.

Since I love reading magazines, I was hoping that someone might recommend better more primal-friendly reading?

Thanks!
                        Kristina
                        National Geographic? Think lots of pictures and info about nature. You could also go more science based if any of that stuff interested you.

Comment

I have given up Oxygen magazine as well, and won't renew Clean Eating magazine when my subscription is up for renewal - there aren't a lot of recipes that I can use now! I have essentially replaced my magazine habit with a blog/website habit on my iPad. I use the app called Pulp which is a great viewing app for RSS feeds from Google reader and I browse through the various websites and blogs that I have come across for ideas. There are some great websites up there, and many of the owners of the sites are great at adding new material and keeping them up to date.
                          Let Go. Move On. Be Free.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                            With all the fascinating info on the internet, I'm amazed that people still buy magazines. Other than having something to take to the bathroom with you, what's the point? (Take in a cross-word puzzle instead.)
                            totally agree !
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paleo-...43036789093004

Comment

I'm a bit of a magazine slut, and Outdoors is the closest thing I've seen to a Paleo/Primal mag. They even did a nice feature on MovNat several months ago.
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                              X