Arg. Vegetarian Diets for Chickens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arg. Vegetarian Diets for Chickens?

I'm kicking myself today because I bought eggs from the grocery store last night instead of the local place down the road (too late at night to stop there).

I grabbed brown eggs, with 'cage free' on the box (though I know that doesn't necessarily mean what we think it should mean)... When I got home I noticed the box also said the chickens were fed a "vegetarian diet" - what the heck? Why would this be a good thing?

Yes, chickens eat grass and vegetation but they also eat a lot of bugs - and REAL free roaming chickens produce much yummier eggs for that reason.

I guess this is just a rant, but I'm astounded that chickens fed an un-natural diet is now some kind of selling point.

Yeah, that's weird. If a chicken is truly "cage-free" or "free range," they will definitely eat bugs, worms, etc. I had chickens for many years as a kid and learned that chickens will pretty much eat anything. We used them as our natural garbage disposals - feeding them all kinds of kitchen scraps that included meat, veg, fruit, etc. And we had wonderful, tasty homegrown eggs for many years that had beautiful dark yellow yolks.

And we had ducks for quite a few years too. I learned from a young age that a duck's favorite treat are garden slugs. And we had some really tasty duck eggs!

Comment

I agree, its obnoxious.
      Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Not a lot different than 'vegetarian' diets for dogs and cats.

Ridiculous...all of it.

You do know that 'cagefree' usually means the birds are kept in a large pen with roost boxes as opposed to being pastured? Even pastured doesn't always mean truly pastured-sometimes they just have the opportunity to go outside-which doesn't mean they do.
        Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

Originally posted by Eklecktika View Post
          You do know that 'cagefree' usually means the birds are kept in a large pen with roost boxes as opposed to being pastured? Even pastured doesn't always mean truly pastured-sometimes they just have the opportunity to go outside-which doesn't mean they do.
          Yep, and why I usually get my eggs from a place down the road as opposed to a grocery store...

Comment

In fairness I think the reason for the "vegetarian diet" marketing ploy is so people wouldn't be concerned that the chickens were being fed any ground up chicken parts (left overs from the processing plant). But probably this applied more to mad cow disease...

Comment

The labeling selecting at my grocer annoys me. I don't buy there often as I've finally met a farm who actually has pastured chickens. But occasionally I have to grab store bought eggs. All those labels crack me up. ESP the veggie fed ones.
              blah.
              i need to start raising chickens. lol
              Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Soil To Sustenance View Post
                In fairness I think the reason for the "vegetarian diet" marketing ploy is so people wouldn't be concerned that the chickens were being fed any ground up chicken parts (left overs from the processing plant). But probably this applied more to mad cow disease...
                I agree. But its still as species appropriate as feeding my horse a steak. IMO the BSE threat was very exaggerated.
                Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

Originally posted by jrherring View Post
                  The labeling selecting at my grocer annoys me.
                  I like the prominent "100mg omega-3 per egg" on many cartons. That's what a CAFO egg normally has. A pathetic way to increase sales.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by Soil To Sustenance View Post
                    Ye gods, people ought to see our chickens chowing down on the leftovers from making chicken broth.

Comment

I blame the hippes :-P People associate vegetarianism in humans with health (not me before I get flamed) so by extension the creatures who provide us with healthy eggs "must" be vegetarian. Extension of the whole cruelty free thing?

And yeah Italapas if it is meat they don't care where it comes from.
                      Eggs from onivorous fowl are way more tasty than the pallid excuses for eggs one gets from those who never see any meat at all - so is the meat too
                      I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

Comment

I'd consider vegetarian feed better for chickens than the animal byproducts and chicken crap most are fed...

The grassfeed operation I buy my pastured chickens from grows soldier fly larvae in vats of beef viscera from their slaughterhouse and supplements the feed their chickens forage on pature

Comment

Originally posted by Italapas View Post
                          Ye gods, people ought to see our chickens chowing down on the leftovers from making chicken broth.
                          i deliver to a chicken rendering plant fairly regularly and the stuff they make is NOTHING like your chicken broth leftovers.

Comment

Working...
                          X