No announcement yet.

Why it's called "Whole Paycheck..."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Colorado has some strange liquor laws. Grocers can sell only 3.2 beer or wine coolers, and you can buy on Sundays. There used to be 3-2 bars in college towns, often thought of "trainer bars" because the minimum age was 18 for 3.2 beer. When MADD forced changes via federal law during the Clinton years, there went the 3-2 bars.

The law for liquor stores was changed last summer, so they can open on Sundays. Actually, the Mom 'n Pops were against the change because it was a guaranteed day off and they didn't have to worry about the competition staying open. The big chains were all for it because they are open anyway.

One of the weirdest things in the old laws is that pharmacies could sell liquor! Except on Sundays, of course. When I lived in The Hood, around the corner was Howard's Liquor. Old Mr. Howard, Colorado's first black pharmacist, found out many years ago that his drug store was a target for criminals and that he was making more money off of the liquor sales. So, he went 100% liquor.

Comment

Sean, I totally agree with ya there. The quality of those products can not be found anywhere else (at least in regards to the big chain grocery stores) and is definitely a lot cheaper than Whole Foods, in general.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky. Up here, I've only got local co-ops and independent whole grocers. There's a few Safeway markets, but I wouldn't set foot in there. Last time I did, I bought some organic produce, took it home, discovered it was moldy and brought it back and they wouldn't give me a refund.

Comment

Working...
        X