Primal Careers/Business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Careers/Business

Well I'm pretty down in the dumps. I haven't been able to find any work in the year since I came back to Canada from Japan. My interest in and enthusiasm for leading a Primal lifestyle is all that keeps me going some days. I turned 30 this summer and I realized I can't afford to waste any more time slogging away at a job I hate (jobs I hate being the only thing open to me now, and I can't even get an interview).

There must be some way to get out of this funk and make a living doing something that I love. Running a primal training center? A primal restaurant?

Ever since I started following the PB over a year and a half ago, I've been more and more comfortable in nature. Bugs and dirt don't bother me much anymore. I have thought seriously about learning how to raise free-ranging chickens and pigs and cows and manage a farm, but I can't afford classes and all the organic farms around here are family operated and too small to be able to afford to hire help.

If there are any Primals in Saskatchewan (long shot) especially, we should get together and make something happen.

Oh well. It helps a little just to vent my frustrations.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Thanks. I'm in nearly the same boat as you. Looking to return to work and frustrated in my search. You're right on about doing what you love, though I guess sometimes you've got to do what you can to make ends meet.

How about getting into a job that lets you spend time outdoors in a somewhat Primal occupation. Perhaps you know someone who needs some land cleared and you could clear it and start a firewood delivery service - about as Primal as can be. Maybe you could prepare and deliver Primal meals by bike to workers in town - there was a guy in Austin who did that. Yes, I know both of those ideas would be rough in the cold Canadian winter, but if you put your mind to it inspiration will come. Until then keep a smile on your face and your eyes open for opportunity. Good things will happen.

Comment

This just came to me after I posted - How about a blade sharpening service?

Comment

You could try a weekly (paid) meetup group and offer Primal circuits/training (outdoor training is cool & interesting) together w/ nutrition classes. I've used meetup.com for photography & other small businesses, but basically any meeting service (or even an ad in your local paper) would work.

Comment

Or how about an online Primal grocery portal? A website that links to various resources that sell Primal products. You could contact the farms, manufacturers directly and sell them on your site. I don't know of the logistics involved, but the start-up cost would be less compared to, say, raising free-range chickens.

Whatever you decide to do, all the best to you and I hope you find a job that you love, really soon.

Comment

A Primal magazine. There are all sorts of magazines that talk about this and that health/diet/fitness, but none of those even come close.

Though I suppose that beginning any sort of mag/newspaper/flyer would be expensive to start up. Hmm....

Something outdoor oriented would also be a good idea.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
            Current weight: 199
            Goal: 145

Comment

PCh, have you thought about going back to school?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
              "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Pd: getting one of these could also help: http://meatcards.com/

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

Meatcards, that's hilarious!

I like the ideas, particularly the Primal grocery portal. It could be expanded to include exercise gear like pullup bars and kettlebells.

If I could afford to go back to school I would study a trade. Right now I am looking into one university teaching job and another with the catholic school board, and if I get hired, most of my personal education will be paid for.

Mark should open a Primal bootcamp retreat in California and hire some of us as coaches

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

California? What? That's way too far away!

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                    Current weight: 199
                    Goal: 145

Comment

While this might not be primal, it might be of interest to some. Here is a link:

WWOOF-USA publishes a printed and online directory of more than 1000 farms that host volunteers in exchange for meals and accommodations. It is an opportunity to learn practical farming skills, explore the US, connect with where food comes from, be part of the real food movement, and have a fun, inexpensive eco-vacation.

http://www.wwoofusa.org/

Comment

Offer to coach nutrition to people. Charge them to take them to the store and teach them how to buy food. Then charge them to clean out all of the crappy food that they shouldn't be eating.

Comment

PrimalChild

I have read some of your responses here to others' posts, you are a dedicated and tough love kind of approach guy. I think you would be an excellent lifestyle instructor.

I say lifestyle, because teaching people the primal attitude does more than just enhance their health, it has the habit of changing all dementions of their life. You seem to have a good grasp on all of this stuff, take that knowledge and build on it.

To start off small go to a local YMCA or school that offers community based classes for affordable prices and propose the idea to them. That way you set the fee and how long the course would last, etc and I guess they would ask for a small portion of the money that you bring in.

It is also a great way for you to get fellow Grok's in your area. It totally sucks that you will have to work also at doing something that you probably will not like, but you will also be doing something you love and making money at it.

Just an idea

Comment

I have thought about how I can turn my passion for learning about hormones, biochemistry, etc. and the paleo and low carb lifestyles into a career. I finally figured it out a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon a comment under one of Mark's Posts where a man was talking about how he needs a paleo cookbook because he works with diabetics in India and needed some ideas for low carb Indian food... and I was like, "hey!" that's what I should do! I already know a lot about diabetes and love learniing about it

Comment

crap. accidentally pushed send and I wasn't even done with the post... Ugh. Laptop pads that get clicked with your palms.

Anyways, As I was saying, I contacted the guy and he quickly becoming my good friend now. Tells me that people treat him like a doctor over there (even though he is a personal trainer) and he is having the time of his life with amazingly generous people. He helps people manage their diabetes and blood sugars and teaches them about his low carb/paleo lifestyle. He also gets to talk to lots of doctors that are still super "low fat" advocates.

I want to do the same once I graduate. Weather it is India or Africa or America or Europe...

Comment

Working...
                              X