Vaccinations for Infants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations for Infants

My 2 month old baby is due to get his first set of vaccinations tomorrow: Penatcel (for Polio, Diptheria, Tetanus & Pertussis and Hib) and Pravanor for Pneumacoccal Disease. I'd like to know if I need to take any precautions before he's given the shots. Also, where can I find unbiased information about these vaccines?

I don't think there IS unbiased info...everyone has an angle!

My favorite book on the topic is The Vaccine Book written by Dr Sears. He's definitely from mainstream medicine, but he acknowledges why parents can be uncomfortable with the vast array of vaccines, and he suggests which ones are more important than others, and he includes alternative schedule info. His book is one of the few on the topic that doesn't sound judgmental one way or the other!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

If you are unsure atm or looking to learn more, you can always ask the ped to delay for a bit, catch up next time, or later on. You can design your own schedule, and pick and choose which vaccines you feel your child most needs. You do not have to do it on the schedule they give.
      +1000000000

Also, Cillakat recommends Vitamin D supplementation, if levels are low, to off-set any side-effects of the vaccines. It could take some time for your child to build up proper blood levels. Personally, I would delay until I had thoroughly educated myself. Better than making a decision that you might regret later. If you are breastfeeding, then you are helping support his immune system in the most Primal way of all!
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

@lizch: Thank you! I'm readig the section on Immunizations in The Baby Book by Dr.Sears now.

@FairyRae: Thank you! I was hoping to read your reply when I started this thread.

I asked for the Hep B vaccine to be delayed, so my baby wasn't given one as soon as he was born. I'm not against Vaccines, I only want to make sure that I'm informed about it before giving them.

Comment

@Dragonfly: Thank you! My Vitamin D levels are optimal (~60) and I'm breast-feeding my little one. My husband, a physician, is convinced that the benefits of vaccines far out-weigh their risks and I hope that that is true.

Comment

The benefits of vaccines FAR FAR outweigh the risks.

Give her Tylenol or motrin first, and later that day, and the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
              The benefits of vaccines FAR FAR outweigh the risks.

Give her Tylenol or motrin first, and later that day, and the next morning.
              This is way too broad brush. I would agree SOME vaccines have benefits that far outweigh the risks. But Chickenpox? HepB for a newborn? Flu shots for everyone? HPV for a preventable disease? There is a line somewhere--for each child, each parent, each society--where you can't just keep adding more vaccinations for ever-rarer or ever-milder diseases without the risks starting to become an issue.
              Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
              Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                This is way too broad brush. I would agree SOME vaccines have benefits that far outweigh the risks. But Chickenpox? HepB for a newborn? Flu shots for everyone? HPV for a preventable disease? There is a line somewhere--for each child, each parent, each society--where you can't just keep adding more vaccinations for ever-rarer or ever-milder diseases without the risks starting to become an issue.
                Chicken pox is often deadly when contracted by an adult. Hpv causes cervical cancer. And hep b can cause hepatic cancer. The benefits of vaccinations absolutely outweigh whatever "risks" exist.

Comment

I would like to know what "risks" we are talking about.

Comment

Here's a good site with info:
                    http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
                      Chicken pox is often deadly when contracted by an adult. Hpv causes cervical cancer. And hep b can cause hepatic cancer. The benefits of vaccinations absolutely outweigh whatever "risks" exist.
                      I've HAD cervical cancer, so no need to educate me on THAT one! And I know what I could have done to prevent ever getting it in the first place. I don't object to the vaccine being available, I object to it being mandatory, particularly when it doesn't yet have a long term safety record.

And I know that HepB causes cancer too. But it's nuts to vaccinate a brand newborn baby. I choose to take responsibility and get my kids vaccinated when they're pre-teens.

Chickenpox is highly miserable for adults, but very very rarely deadly. It's the immune-compromised who are at highest risk, and even then, in tiny numbers. It simply wasn't billed as a killer disease until the vaccine came along!

Why do you put "risks" in quotes? They are real. The rotovirus vaccine caused bowel-interssuception. The original pertussis vaccine caused seizures and death. The original bird flu vaccine caused guillain barre. You can argue that the benefits outweigh the risks, but don't minimize those risks by putting the word in quotes as if it's fabricated.

FWIW, except for chickenpox (which I made sure they caught for real) my children are fully vaccinated at this point. I'm not an anti-vaccine person, I just think the issue is more nuanced than you or the medical world believes.
                      Liz.

Comment

The main thing I'd say is wait. Let your baby grow up a bit, develop his own immune system so he can better handle the vaccs when you give them. That's a bunch of chemicals to inject into a tiny 2 month old. Dr Sear's book really goes into detail about exactly how much nasty stuff is in each shot and how to select which ones to give when to minimize the aluminum and other toxins at each vaccination. I would never ever vaccinate before 2 years of age, but then I'm a stay at home, breastfeeding mom and my kids aren't around other children much at all. I would reconsider if they had to go into daycare or something like that, but I still certainly wouldn't start at 2 months. The main SIDS death risk is between 2 and 4 months, I find that interesting, babies dying right around when their getting first and 2nd sets of shots.

Comment

First of all, Congrats on the new Baby!

I think vaccination is a really personal choice. You have to do what you feel is right for you and your family. I really wish I had known my daughter had a allergy to chicken eggs before I vaccinated her. It would have saved a lot of heart ache.

I love this site
                          http://www.nvic.org/

It has 8 questions to ask before you vaccinate and it also has different schedules for babies that could be safer. You do not have to do them as fast as they tell you to.
                          ~Blog~

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                            +1million

Nothings beats a natural cell-mediated immune response (a la chicken pox). The rest are adult diseases or minimal significance (flu vaccines for everyone, ugh).

I hate that there is a push for everyone to get the flu vaccine. It was crazy last year with all the H1N1 fear mongering.

Comment

Google "Dr. Sherry Tenpenny" & check out her website. We used her as a resource before our first son was born.
                              Congrats on the new baby!!
                              Save on Gas & Diesel...Here

Comment

Working...
                              X