What to do about BAD BREATH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about BAD BREATH?

I find that while being a primal college student certainly has its perks, if I have a hearty breakfast in the morning, IF lunch, and am in school until around 4:30P.M., my breath gets the worst of it. It's not ketosis breath, but just kind of a stale, heavy thing.

What do you guys do to combat bad breath? Presumably most people on this board are not popping tic tacs or Listerine strips. I read somewhere that chewing on cinnamon sticks is an option, but that is certainly not the most subtle way to do it..

I find a big drink of water is usually enough to clear out most of the staleness.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Or, if you carry a water bottle with you around campus, how about adding some mint, lime, or cucumber to your water bottle?

Comment

I posed this question to my dentist once and he told me that the bad breath is likely from having my mouth closed. I know, sounds silly, but when you're in school or at work, studying, etc. we tend not to talk as much so our mouth isn't being washed with our enzymatic saliva as often. The same goes for IF; because we aren't chewing, our salivary glands aren't working as often.

He suggested something that sounded strange to me at first but it really works. Suck on anything that will keep your salivary glands working. I found that a plastic button works great and it's easy to slip under your tongue when you need to speak.

Comment

Black Cardamom seeds :-)

Comment

@kuno, how do those taste by themselves? I only have ground caradmom at home and not sure I've seen black cardamom seeds.

Comment

Elana,

They're yummy, and in fact they often have a bowl of them at Indian restaurants for breath fresheners after your meal.

You can kind of tuck them in your cheek, and crunch a couple if you need a "burst".

I think they're also supposed to help with digestion, as well.

Maba????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamom

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the many helpful suggestions!

@kuno1chi, if you don't mind my asking, where in SF do you live? Until I saw your profile, I thought that I was the only SF-MDA adherent!

And please tell me--where in the city can I find those Black Cardamom seeds?

Comment

hfox,

I'm in the lower Nob Hill ("Tenderloin Heights") neighborhood.

There's a store called "New India Bazaar" on Polk Street at Post; I think that's where I got them:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-india-bazzar-indian-grocery-store-san-francisco

:-D

Comment

Thank you! Yelp is a godsend :-)

Comment

I also get my fix of Bollywood movie rentals there :-D

Comment

Chew on some parsley.

"A traditional parsley remedy for bad breath will use the herb in one of two ways. The simplest is just to grab a sprig of fresh parsley and chew it thoroughly. Particularly effective after a meal containing garlic or onions, this will also work as well as any breath mint as a quick fix for more chronic bad breath. The other use of parsley for bad breath involves simmering a handful of fresh leaves in a couple of cups of water with several whole cloves or some ground cloves. The solution can be used as a mouth wash as often as required. Be sure to use fresh parsley for both of these remedies: dried parsley has neither the admirable breath freshening ability nor the exceptional nutritional value of the fresh herb."

http://ezinearticles.com/?parsley-for-bad-breath&id=710531

Here is another interesting website re bad breath:

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_badbr.htm

Comment

Thanks, Sue, for another great natural solution.

Comment

Working...
                          X