The Paleo Diet - book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Paleo Diet - book

I bought the book, as a way of supplementing my paleo/primal knowledge. I must say that I am pretty disappointed. Right from the start he is presenting sensational POVs on saturated fat, cholesterol and heart disease. It's also a lot heavier on fruit than I would expect.

I got the impression from Robb Wolf's podcasts that Cordain has loosened up on the sat fat issue and was even considering an update to the book.

Anyone else read this book or followed Cordain's opinions? I guess I was under the impression that the PB and The Paleo Diet were more similar.

Yeah, the book was a while ago...

(Just edited out a bunch of info referring to a site that wasn't Cordain's! Jen fail!)

Cordain's actual Web site he has a FAQ about fat specifically: http://thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#Fats

His revised edition is coming out December 2010, according to this interview: http://www.pooleswatercooler.com/bob...n-cordain.html
    Last edited by Jenny; 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM. Reason: reading comprehension fail
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
      Yeah, the book was a while ago -- on his old Web site http://www.paleodiet.com/ now he says explicitly:
      AFAIK, this site is not Cordain's, never was.
      And on his new Web site he has a FAQ about fat specifically: http://thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#Fats
      This is his website.
      Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
      Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
      No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
      Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

WHOOPS, yeah, I'm totally wrong. That's Don Wiss's site! FAIL. Lemme edit the original post so I don't mislead anybody.
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Cordain's actual Web site he has a FAQ about fat specifically: http://thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#Fats

Wow. great link. It is a HUGE backpeddle from the book though. The first chapter of the book feels very CW in his assement of Sat Fat, cholesterol and CVD.

Comment

Isn't he coming out with an updated version of the book soon (or maybe it's already out)? Amazon keeps recommending it for me as I rated the Primal Blueprint highly.

Comment

Yeah, reading that book is kinda like looking at webpages that have "Under Construction" written somewhere on them, with the old flame gif and lots of blue 24 point font and tons of <br><br><br>. haha

Comment

It seems he still doesn't like lauric acid which is found in coconut oil.
                Reading through other Q&A on that link, at least to me, looks as if he is still saying sat fat is at least a caution.
                Last edited by Tommy7; 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Setabas View Post
                  Isn't he coming out with an updated version of the book soon (or maybe it's already out)? Amazon keeps recommending it for me as I rated the Primal Blueprint highly.
                  Yes, next month.

Comment

I started reading the revised addition but he believes that eating fat makes us fat and causes CVD. He also believes that Salt is awful and causes high blood pressure.

The tone of his book is very strange. He compares the paleo diet to low carb diets and how bacon and cheese will basically kill you. Also, no restrictions on non starchy fruits and vegetables. He would prefer Pufa's to saturated fat.

During the book he constantly says "my team of expert researchers".

Comment

Hmm, just bought my sister the book for Xmas...
                      My Blog: http://fitafter40vancouver.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mica
                        It's not a write-off - Cordain's still got loads of good info in there about autoimmunity and gut damage, etc. I subscribe to his newsletters too and get all kinds of great info through that as well. So he doesn't like the right kind(s) of fats - just ignore that bit, eat more veg than fruit, and enjoy the rest of it.
                        I agree. I just skipped some of the chapters but I was interested in what he he had to say about autoimmunity.

Comment

Personally I agree with Cordain that eating saturated fats in excess isn't a good idea, but without chronic inflammation caused by grains and excess omega 6, it's not going to kill you. From the new edition:
                          Originally posted by The Paleo Diet (2010)
                          I realize that many, perhaps most, readers are not hunters and have never seen carcasses of wild animals, such as deer, elk, or antelope. Nor have you had the opportunity to visually contrast the carcasses of feedlot-produced animals to wild animals. I can tell you that there is no comparison. [...] Wild animal carcasses are lean, have little external fat, and exhibit virtually no fat between the muscles (marbling). In contrast, feedlot-produced cattle maintain a four- to six-inch layer of white fat covering the animal's entire body. These artificial products of modern agriculture are overweight, obese, and sick. Their muscles are infiltrated with that fat that we call marbling, a trait that improves flavor but makes the cattle insulin resistant and in poor health, just like us. Wild animals rarely or never exhibit marbling.
                          [...]
                          It would be difficult for our hunter-gatherer ancestors to eat anywhere near the amount of saturated fat that we get on a yearly basis in the typical Western diet. So, does dietary saturated fat promote heart disease? Should Paleo Dieters try to limit the fatty domesticated meats in their diet in order to reduce saturated fat? This question is not as clear-cut as it seemed twenty-five years ago...
                          [...]
                          So, do dietary saturated fats from fatty meats cause the artery-clogging process known as atherosclerosis? If we look at the evolutionary evidence, the answer is a resounding yes.
                          [...]
                          So, now we have the facts we need to come to closure with the saturated fat-heart disease issue. Dietary saturated fats from excessive consumption of processed fatty meats and feedlot-produced meats increase our blood cholesterol concentrations, but unless our immune systems are chronically inflamed, atherosclerosis likely will not kill us from either heart attacks or strokes.
                          The new advice I can give you is this: If you are faithful to the basic principles of the Paleo Diet, consumption of fatty meats will probably have a minimal outcome on your health and wellbeing—as it did for our hunter-gatherer ancestors. Consumption of fatty meats and organs had survival value in an earlier time when humans didn’t eat grains, legumes, dairy products, refined sugars, and salty processed foods, the foods that produce chronic low-level inflammation in our bodies through a variety of physiological mechanisms. I will explain this in more depth in my next book, Living the Paleo Diet.
                          (Bold mine.)
                          Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                          Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                          No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                          Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Nice summary, Mirrorball. So basically -- eating primally, we can arguably get away with eating saturated fats, while conventional eaters don't have as much luck on that front. That would jive with the studies that point the accusative finger at saturated fat and heart disease, too. (Mainly because those studies ignore the quality and immune-triggering aspects of the remainder of the diet.)

Comment

I have the previous edition...got, maybe, 50 pages in and put it down. Snoooooooooooze-fest.
                              Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Working...
                              X