Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Mears Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ray Mears Show

    Some of you may want to want his show (Ray Mears). You can find many many episodes on YouTube. He goes out in the wild and looks for the foods that our HGs ancestors would have eaten. He has done episodes in different regions (cold weather, tropical, savanna, etc).

    Previous to watching this show I was considering that perhaps our ancestors were mostly running on ketosis. After watching some episodes I realize that the idea is kind of silly, where ever he goes (even in cold climates) he uses plants for carbohydrates (mostly roots). Obviously, animal food is always the bigger share of his calories.

    He also did an episode to show how HGs couldn't have possibly eaten any grains. He took pretty much all afternoon and night to make like 200 calories worth of food (using primitive tools).

  • #2
    Originally posted by venam View Post
    Ray Mears ... where ever he goes (even in cold climates) he uses ... carbohydrates
    You can tell that by looking at him.

    Either he's a fan of the doughnuts or he's permanently crooking the elbow down at the Dog and Duck.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      You can tell that by looking at him.

      Either he's a fan of the doughnuts or he's permanently crooking the elbow down at the Dog and Duck.
      He doesn't live on wild foods (he doesn't eat paleo), him along with his team survive on packaged camping foods which mostly consists of grains. There are many non-westernized societies out there that consume moderate to high amount of carbs and are very slim, so your assumption that carbohydrates are the reason for obesity can be easily proven false.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by venam View Post
        your assumption that carbohydrates are the reason for obesity can be easily proven false.
        Well, that's nice for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by venam View Post
          There are many non-westernized societies out there that consume moderate to high amount of carbs and are very slim, so your assumption that carbohydrates are the reason for obesity can be easily proven false.
          because they're running a calorie decency so even though the insulin is telling the body to store fat, it cant.
          Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
          Current Weight: 266lbs
          High-school Weight: 235lbs
          Goal: ????

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by venam View Post
            He doesn't live on wild foods (he doesn't eat paleo), him along with his team survive on packaged camping foods which mostly consists of grains. There are many non-westernized societies out there that consume moderate to high amount of carbs and are very slim, so your assumption that carbohydrates are the reason for obesity can be easily proven false.
            troll?
            Scottish Sarah

            Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

            Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
            **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

            Comment


            • #7
              Ray Mears does some really good programs.

              This is an article from the Sunday Times a couple of years ago. The Ray Mears caveman diet

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Matthew. View Post
                Ray Mears does some really good programs.

                This is an article from the Sunday Times a couple of years ago. The Ray Mears caveman diet
                Yes, I recall that. I remember thinking he'd clearly read Cordain's book.

                Mind you, it shows his anthropological knowledge isn's as good as he likes to imply it is - not that I ever thought it was - if he thinks hunter-gatherers ate low-fat.

                ... Remove the excess fat then tenderise the venison ...
                Oh, go away, Ray.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mind you, it shows his anthropological knowledge isn's as good as he likes to imply it is - not that I ever thought it was - if he thinks hunter-gatherers ate low-fat.

                  ... Remove the excess fat then tenderise the venison ...

                  Oh, go away, Ray.
                  To be fair I'd say that recipe was put in by the journalist, Ray Mears isn't really a recipe writer and it does not link the details to him.

                  Also I'll bet Ray's anthropological knowledge is better than almost anyone here. Few people can have actually met, learnt from and hunted/gathered with as many different surviving hunter-gatherer groups as him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by queen_sheba View Post
                    troll?
                    no. Funny how that works, I am a paleo eater who is simply not blind about this whole low-carb deal and you automatically think troll. You're really going to expand your knowledge like that, congrats!
                    Originally posted by Russ View Post
                    because they're running a calorie decency so even though the insulin is telling the body to store fat, it cant.
                    I have one example that is not running on calorie deficiency: Kitavans. In Lindeberg's book (Food and Western Disease: Health and nutrition from an evolutionary perspective) he explains how they have an abundance of food, fruits and other perishable goods rot on a daily basis. BTW, this kind of undocumented statement leads me to simply say the same thing about low-carbers. For one, I am very lean and eat ~30% carbs, don't run marathons or anything like that, my workout is 30-45 mins a day (sprinting and/or weight lifting), and always eat to satiation.
                    ... Remove the excess fat then tenderise the venison ...
                    If you actually watch his episodes you'll learn how he explains HGs relished fat and organ meats. He also explains that animal products supplied the majority of calories for HGs.

                    When are people going to learn that paleo has nothing to do with macro-nutrient distribution and everything to do with food quality? Have fun making the same mistakes low-fat promoters did 30 years ago.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X