The Perfect Health Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Health Diet

Our book, Perfect Health Diet: A Dietary Program for General Good Health and Prevention of Disease, presents the reasoning and scientific evidence behind the Perfect Health Diet, with citations to the biomedical literature backing every point

http://2.ly/cx4j

Seems spot on. I'm interested in their take on fish oil supplementation.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Yeah I just got introduced to them today by The Healthy Skeptic and it all looks great. Tons of great information with.... valid citations. Wahoo! *raccoon dance*

My one beef is that it has yet to be demonstrated that methionine has anywhere near the effect on mTOR in humans as it does in mice. And since humans were primarily meat eaters for a long time it would make sense to have some sort of a smart feedback mechanism AND also to be able to utilize protein to our benefit far exceeding any downsides to increased mTOR from say, 20% energy rather than 10%. I bet that insulin levels and cholesterol levels tie into it as well and so I wouldn't just say 200 calories from protein and that's that. A high fat, low carb low protein diet is either seriously low in nutrients or seriously high in omega 6 so I'm having a hard time calling that "optimal". If all else fails I would just use gelatin which doesn't have methionine and the most nutrient-dense protein sources.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Thanks for sharing!!
      My Before/After Pics
      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by SerialSinner View Post
        http://2.ly/cx4j

Seems spot on. I'm interested in their take on fish oil supplementation.
        No fish oil supplementation. Fatty fish instead.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Is that the guy who thinks that all chronic disease is due to viral infection?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisous View Post
            Is that the guy who thinks that all chronic disease is due to viral infection?
            I don't think so but can't be certain.

Here is the Healthy Skeptic on Perfect Health. Helpful review.

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/my-new-...ion-and-health

Comment

I've seen Jaminet post comments on other blogs and he seems incredibly brilliant.

Comment

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=430

It is this guy who thinks everything is caused by an infection. Well, brainiac that he is, he may well be right. Man, looks like I have yet another book to read!

Comment

Bought the book - love the idea of "eating what we are" - meaning even lean humans are mostly fat by calories. So when we "cannibalize" ourselves with fasting (which has been shown to improve rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, epilepsy, heart disease), it makes sense to consume the name nutrient ratios on a regular basis, because obviously there's no fasting forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisous View Post
                    Bought the book - love the idea of "eating what we are" - meaning even lean humans are mostly fat by calories. So when we "cannibalize" ourselves with fasting (which has been shown to improve rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, epilepsy, heart disease), it makes sense to consume the name nutrient ratios on a regular basis, because obviously there's no fasting forever!
                    It's interesting and of course very primal. The writing is disappointing though as it appears there are some huge content holes. Do they ever come back to the fructose issue? They touch upon it in the carb intro paragraphs then...*poof*. I haven't seen it again.

It is this guy who thinks everything is caused by an infection.
                    Everything might be a bit of a leap but yes, they do believe that diet, toxins and infections contribute seemingly equally to chronic diseases. This is one of the problems I have with their framework. While infections like lyme and h. pylori certainly are problematic for those who've spent a lifetime in a state of vitamin D deficiency and eating a poor diet, it's unlikely that either of those things will be problematic for anyone who's been vitamin d sufficient and eating an optimal diet over time.

I haven't gotten to any vitamin D info but so far, I have yet to be impressed with anyone's handling of the importance of vitamin D or how to insure optimal vitamin D status. We'll see

Well, Mercola handles vitamin D reasonabley well but he's unbearable. I just can't ever recommend him any more.
                    Last edited by cillakat; 09-13-2010, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Here is another bugaboo for me:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8
                      The exception is white rice, which we count among our “safe starches.” Rice noodles, rice crackers, and the like are fine.
                      That is a statement that requires clarification each and every time it's made. They do make that clarification at times, but not each time and it's going to be a major problem simply because the average person reading the book is going to read that white rice and processed white rice products are fine 'in general' and will be eating much more than is acceptable.

1)white rice intake must be counted as part of the 400 cals or less intake.....this number drops to 200 cals or less if trying to loose weight

2)white rice is the least nutritious of the starches calorie for calorie - if nutrient density is important and starches are required, pick another starch. If nutrient density is important and starches are *not* required, pick dark and bright non-starchy veggies instead.

3) for those struggling with blood sugar issues, binge eating or compulsive overeating, even small amounts of white rice, rice crackers or other processed rice products may (are likely to?) trigger problems.

My personal feeling is that white rice is a Very Bad Idea for many (most?) and a reasonable addition to the diet of those needing additional starch cals for intensive athletics....though tubers would be preferable to the rice.

Comment

Agree on the rice, partly because I don't like it much. To be honest I haven't eaten any in however many months so I have no idea if it would cause cravings or not! Pasta seems gross now too. Why bother? I'd much rather have squash or pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Or potatoes. Well, Jaminet ran in to trouble with very low carb so that's their bias, I guess.

And yes, Mercola seems to be a bit of a loon.

Comment

That is my main criticism. High fat, low protein, moderate carb but a bunch of it can be white rice? This looks like a food + 20 pills diet.
                          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I like the refreshing intellectual clarity of most of the book. There's not a bunch of hand waving and rhetoric about disproving high carb diets. They just say - a high carb diet IS a high fat diet, but with a bunch of stress on the liver in between. Those big strong cows the vegans love to rave about? They eat short chain FATs via their buggies in the rumen. Another enlightening point was how folks on high carb diets may need more dietary PUFAs (and that may be why the studies are not as shockingly horrible as we might expect), simply because high carb diet people get a stressball full of sat fats with every meal via palmitic acid from glucose, and high fat diet people will be getting PUFAs with the fat in their food.

However, there is that disconnect - our diets are nutrient poor because we don't move around enough in general to eat enough calories to get all our nutrients - and then the recommendation for white rice, whose main positive is that it is not frankly toxic. It is a nice option for variety, in my opinion, little more.

I do like that they have the nutritional science really dialed in. Shows their lack of corruption by medical degrees or nutrition degrees.

Comment

Oh, and Cillakat - his recommendations for vit D are a bit lower than the vitamin D council guys, but I wonder if that has to do with perfect health diet (or primal diet) being anti-inflammatory and grain free, so you don't need as much vitamin D? A doctor was telling me the other day about a study showing that high vitamin D without calcium supplementation resulted in calcium being taken from non-weight bearing bones, like the jaw. For the life of me, I cannot find this study or any iteration thereof. I have a feeling it has to do with K2 deficiency or something else, as it seems more and more obvious that calcium supplementation is not a great idea. Anyway!

All told - really liked the book, it has room to be dialed in a little more, and it would probably be the diet I followed if I were pregnant or breastfeeding. Downsides - I prefer Kurt Harris' no counting approach (life is too short to count), and our ancestors didn't have fit day.
                              Last edited by Bisous; 09-14-2010, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X