The Perfect Health Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting.

....and DAMN YOU! Now I want lamb chops!

Comment

• I'm sorry, I understand how compelling lamb is. I was trying to fast along with Jimmy Moore when he did his but I watched this EpicMealTime video and broke the fast an hour later. YouTube - Puzzle of the Lambs - Epic Meal Time

That was a sweet video and some pretty metal imagery. You would appreciate it, unless it makes you want lamb even more.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

• Stabby, doesn't that seem like very little food you eat based on that example?... The Perfect Health Diet concepts are sound, I'm just really not comfortable with departing from my meat and fish. I've been upping my carbs in the form of carrots and sweet potatoes. I figure these are good sources of carbs?

Comment

• The gelatin sounds like a good idea and something my kids would like too.
          Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• Originally posted by JPA View Post
            Stabby, doesn't that seem like very little food you eat based on that example?... The Perfect Health Diet concepts are sound, I'm just really not comfortable with departing from my meat and fish. I've been upping my carbs in the form of carrots and sweet potatoes. I figure these are good sources of carbs?
            LOL I read it and thought "damn stabby's a fattie"

You can eat meat and fish... I think it's just important to make sure there is lots of fat and enough carbohydrate which it sounds like you are doing

Comment

• I'm also trying to get more gelatin in my diet. I only weigh 67kg (147lbs for those in the US) so I wouldn't need as much protein or calories as the majority of the people on this forum. I get around 1.3g protein per kg (80+g/day) and so it isn't that hard to stay within reason with protein intake. I mix up my sources too and eat organs, fish etc often so am unlikely to get high amounts of methionine etc.

I try and eat stock every day now for the gelatin and other good stuff, but have no idea how much of it I am getting on a daily basis. I would try gelatin powder but it seems like you would miss out on a lot of the other good stuff in stock?

P.S. The PHD guys do seem to eat a lot of gelatin because they like to use stock and eat boney parts of animals.
              "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

• Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                So let's see here. Today was:

Noon: Mega-fatty lamb chops -350 calories. 150 calories of protein, 200 or so of fat
                300 calories sweet potatoes
                Chug 300 calories of coconut milk

Gelatin powder with shredded coconut, fruit, jam and other things. I sometimes put macadamias in there, sometimes cinnamon, etc. 120 calories of gelatin protein. 150 of fat and 100 or fruit

Dinner: salmon. Probably about 150 calories protein and 200 of fat
                A salad with a lot of spinach and some other stuff (negligible calories, probably)
                Olive oil 200 calories of fat
                200 calories of butter on the salmon

These are just my guesses, by the way. I don't actually measure except for in some cases like olive oil.

1250 calories of fat
                400 of carbohydrate
                420 of protein with 120 being gelatin and not applicable (in my opinion, not theirs that I know of. They just say eat gelatin and keep it to 15% protein) or so.
                you must have a high rollin job to eat salmon and lamb chops... damn, i need to find a sugar daddy
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Canned salmon, so cheaper. Also I used to spend $7 at subway for lunch every day while 2 New Zealand grass fed lamb chops costs $3.5 so things tend to work out nicely. Yay New Zealand.

I could probably eat more but I don't ever feel like it. No point in eating more without the appetite for it.
                  Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

• I am curious about other ways to eat gelatin powders if anyone has any ideas...
                    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

• We buy whole lamb (not really that much, could probably fit into a standard refrigerator freezer) from our farmer; I think it's $4/lb? And lamb is the best way to start organ meats - I find the liver, kidney, etc., ,much more delicate than the beef counterparts.

This is basically just a post to get myself subscribed to this thread, lol.
                      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• I do canned salmon too, usually for breakfast - it also has bones in it, so that makes it more nutiritionally complete. I have a salmon head simmering on the stove to make broth right now too. I am thinking it will make extra good bone broth - gelatin and omega 3s.
                        Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• You all are so much more adventurous eaters than I am! When Stabby was first talking gelatin, I thought they were eating Jello. I was thinking WTF? How is that healthy??

My hubby would love me to get into organ meat. He is English and misses his steak and kidney pie and liver and onions. He also misses blood sausage. YIKES!!

Carrie

Comment

• Originally posted by supersellen View Post
                            I am curious about other ways to eat gelatin powders if anyone has any ideas...
                            I make 'smoothies'... coconut milk, yogurt, some frozen berries, a mix of gelatin and whey-based protein powder, cocoa powder, and lately shredded unsweetened coconut, you could probably use some sort of sweetener too... it's not too different from what someone said earlier, the only difference is that I use a food processor. the gelatin definitely adds a certain texture/stickiness to it (almost like oatmeal!), so i eat it with a spoon out of a bowl.

i'm flirting with the idea of using it to make a gravy to go with mashed potatoes, using that to thicken rather than flour but i don't know how that would go over

Comment

• Originally posted by imasin View Post
                              I make 'smoothies'... coconut milk, yogurt, some frozen berries, a mix of gelatin and whey-based protein powder, cocoa powder, and lately shredded unsweetened coconut, you could probably use some sort of sweetener too... it's not too different from what someone said earlier, the only difference is that I use a food processor. the gelatin definitely adds a certain texture/stickiness to it (almost like oatmeal!), so i eat it with a spoon out of a bowl.

i'm flirting with the idea of using it to make a gravy to go with mashed potatoes, using that to thicken rather than flour but i don't know how that would go over
                              This sounds great, I already love making coconut milk smoothies that are thick enough to eat with a spoon!

Where do you guys get your gelatin? Have you found a grassfed option?
                              For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Powdered gelatin sounds like a processed food. Enlighten me.

We eat homemade bone broth every day, any reason to go beyond that?
                                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                                X