No announcement yet.

The Perfect Health Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just started the book and now I see why I lost 4lbs since last week. I started eating butter almost like a meal. By itself in slices. And I was eating 4 eggs cooked in coconut oil everyday. I've tested my ketone levels and they are very dark. This is because I've been eating mostly fats. I wasn't doing this on purpose or for any particular reason other then I was craving butter. But I lost 4lbs since last week. So now that I'm reading the book, I was basically following it. Oh and I also started eating kimchi everyday with my eggs. This combination is awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stabby View Post
      I'm dying to try some of those purple sweet potatoes from Japan - they just look so alien, it's awesome.
      Same here Stabby, the purple ones are called Okinawa sweet potatoes, they look delicious. I've asked around for sites that have sweet potato seeds and I had no luck so far (they don't have them and they don't ship to Portugal in either case). One of them said to check growers in California.

If you can get some, let me know how they taste.

Comment

• I'm now finishing up PHD and I can definitely put it right there with PB and WWGF as my three paleo recommendations - Mark for the easy read and including total lifestyle, Taubes for the lose-fat angle + science, and PHD for the overall picture laid in terms to convince a doctor. I'd give most people Mark or Taubes, but I'd give a doctor or a very smart + very skeptical person PHD.
        One interesting angle of PHD is that they give almost no space whatsoever specifically to weight loss strategies, an unusual choice in any book with "diet" in the title.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• Their weight-loss strategy seems to be similar to the one that I would recommend. Why do we get fat in the first place? Gary Taubes makes some astute observations about the follies of the current paradigm and the fact that type of calories seems to matter a great deal in some situations, but he also misses the boat on the meta-issue, and that would be total body health. Perfect Health Diet is very similar to what I already considered to be a fairly good weight-loss diet in the first place. Using a "strategy" seems like something that one would do on the Dukan Diet or some other popular fad diet, but Perfect Health Diet strives for...well...perfection in health and what follows from that? Better body composition. The main issues in the accumulation of body fat are inflammation and all of its corollaries, most notably leptin resistance, insulin resistance (partially a corollary of inflammation), micronutrients, various toxins like grain lectins and endocrine-disruptors, thyroid-signaling and functioning, gut critters and gut integrity, which also tend to tie into everything else. There is some more that I don't really understand right now but needless to say, obesity is a disease of metabolic syndrome, and eating a healthy diet can help in reversing it. The general mindset of someone trying to lose weight is that they would like as much of it gone as quickly as possible, but as always with everything it is the sustainability of things that ultimately matters. When we make health numero uno we put ourselves on the best possible path for the future.
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

• Hear hear Stabby. You don't need to lose weight to get healthy, you need to get healthy to lose weight.
            My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Stabby View Post
              The general mindset of someone trying to lose weight is that they would like as much of it gone as quickly as possible, but as always with everything it is the sustainability of things that ultimately matters. When we make health numero uno we put ourselves on the best possible path for the future.
              I agree with all you've said up to a point, but these 50 extra pounds I'm carrying around scream "GET THIS THE FUCK OFFA ME!"

Experimenting with more starches is cool, and everything, but being fat sucks possum balls dude. I can't even really explain it to someone who ain't been there. (And hey I'm down 75lbs, whoohoo... people meeting me for the first time don't give a shit.)

Thanks for all your help on this thread.

Comment

• I'm not disagreeing at all. I'm just saying it is a rather unusual approach. I like it, I think it fits what I've worked out for myself better than any other single approach. I'm going to need to do more research with regard to vitamin supps - I hate taking pills, both the idea of it and the taking of them, and there is plenty of research suggesting that supplementation outside of natural sources doesn't do too much. So that aspect I need to study more.
                The other thing I find interesting is that this book doesn't seem to be generally understood within the community as a "paleo" diet book, but it most definitely is. It's just not a carnivore apologist book or a macho book.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• . The general mindset of someone trying to lose weight is that they would like as much of it gone as quickly as possible, but as always with everything it is the sustainability of things that ultimately matters. When we make health numero uno we put ourselves on the best possible path for the future.
                  I think this is why I have been successful. When I started my journey 2+ years ago I told myself it/I would be OK if I stayed obese as long as I got and stayed healthy. Healthy, for me, was determined in terms of CRP, fasting BGL, fasting insulin, thyroid function/symptoms, pain relief, and improved functioning.

All of those markers have improved. An added bonus was a polyp free colonoscopy, as 5 year ago I had one villous adenoma. Colon cancer, obesity, diabetes, and Alzheimer's run rampant in my family. A perk of getting healthy has been a 60+ lb decrease in scale weight.

Another perk has been finding this site, it's well informed members, and being challenged to grow, learn and re-adjust my thinking/beliefs/practices on a daily basis.

Thank you.

Comment

• Y'all carb-headed starch munchers seem to be a lot happier in this thread. Maybe I can read Internet-vibes or something. Anyway, good on ya.

(I eat rice many times a week)
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

• Maybe I can read Internet-vibes or something
                      We will designate you the Virtual Paleo Palm Reader and Spiritual Advisor.

Comment

• Agreed on the possum balls. Additionally, I feel like I need to lose weight STAT not for myself, but b/c my loved ones will not listen to one word I say until I stop being fat. And their health is deteriorating so fast, I feel sure at least one of them will be dead within a year or two (hope I'm wrong).

At any rate, I've been losing steadily no matter what my carb intake was, so long as grains are gone. Until this last month. Being beaten down by people I love offering sweets I love and not being able to resist. :headwall: I'm slightly increasing my carbs now; we'll see what happens.
                        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                          I agree with all you've said up to a point, but these 50 extra pounds I'm carrying around scream "GET THIS THE FUCK OFFA ME!"

Experimenting with more starches is cool, and everything, but being fat sucks possum balls dude. I can't even really explain it to someone who ain't been there. (And hey I'm down 75lbs, whoohoo... people meeting me for the first time don't give a shit.)
                          I hear you on this. I've used to be 85lbs heavier which is great, but I've still got 45lbs to go. I really wanted it to be gone ASAFP too, but doing low-carb primal (sub 50) as recommended by Mark did absolutely nothing, I lost and gained the same 5lbs for 7 months. It wasn't till I started PHD by increasing starch and IFing that I started losing, so far over 8lbs in 4 weeks.

For me PHD + 6 hour eating window = Win!
                          My Journal

Comment

• I'm looking forward to reading this book, it's next on my pile. I've just finished reading The Leptin Diet and had a fair few lightbulb moments with that one. Another piece for the jigsaw.
                            Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                            Harold Whitman

Comment

• Just a thought I had now... does dark chocolate count as a real carb for the PHD? How about nuts? I just had a whole bunch of cashews, brazilian nuts and dark chocolate with my lunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPA View Post
                                Just a thought I had now... does dark chocolate count as a real carb for the PHD? How about nuts? I just had a whole bunch of cashews, brazilian nuts and dark chocolate with my lunch.
                                Count the sugars, don't count the fiber. Nuts have a lot of n-6 fatty acids, so go easy on them. Macadamias are the best from a n-3 to n-6 ratio.

Gordo

Comment

Working...
                                X