Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Perfect Health Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interesting thoughts, everyone.... I would love to hear others chime in. Especially on the effects of fruit vs. starch.

    IniQuity - On the other hand, I feel dumb for not doing VLC more frequently (I do eat more starch on days I do more activity), simply because I'm at a different point than you are-- still insulin resistant, still have excess body fat. Things like increasing activity, magnesium supplementation, gut health, etc., are also important..... but for putting your body in the right metabolic environment to be losing fat, eating less carbohydrate (especially from fruit, *tear* I love fruit) is really key when you're at the stage I'm at, at your stage carb refeeds could help boost leptin activity.
    It might be different if I ate less fruit and more starch though. So I'm the opposite, I actually don't find meat that appealing, and would rather have fruit and starchy vegetables and some leafy vegetables if I can get myself to cook them.
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 04-28-2011, 08:23 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by imasin View Post
      IniQuity - On the other hand, I feel dumb for not doing VLC more frequently (I do eat more starch on days I do more activity), simply because I'm at a different point than you are-- still insulin resistant, still have excess body fat. Things like increasing activity, magnesium supplementation, gut health, etc., are also important..... but for putting your body in the right metabolic environment to be losing fat, eating less carbohydrate (especially from fruit, *tear* I love fruit) is really key when you're at the stage I'm at, at your stage carb refeeds could help boost leptin activity.
      It might be different if I ate less fruit and more starch though. So I'm the opposite, I actually don't find meat that appealing, and would rather have fruit and starchy vegetables and some leafy vegetables if I can get myself to cook them.
      Yeah see I could go without most fruit forever, there’s only some fruit I enjoy and even those I haven’t deliberately eaten in quite a while. I mostly focused on meats of all kinds, eggs and for veggies I would throw the usual green dark kind, but even those got dramatically reduced after a while. I just can’t even really say why, it would make sense if I was losing fat like crazy, but I wasn’t, and my workouts weren’t improving dramatically, in fact I felt like they suffered a little or became stagnant. Anyway, yesterday I had some potatoes, today I’ll have some more… and we’ll see how it all goes.

      Another key things I need to address is more organ meats, more bone broths, I want to have an “earthier” diet if that makes sense. Marrow, brains, etc… I literally have none of that in my diet right now and I bet I could use a lot of collagen…

      Head-desking all day today.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

      Comment


      • I would say that the best food would be avocados which is 60% fat. Healthy fats lubricate your skin, brain and arteries. Flax seeds are a good source of the omega-3 fats that are good for all the above also. But a better source of this is chia seeds. You can digest the whole seed whereas if you swallow the bitty flax seed whole, you cannot digest it. There are a lot of ways to ensure that our skin stays healthy , it just depends on what you choose . Check this link out - The Perfect Healthy Skin Diet

        Comment


        • Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
          All you back-stabbing, tuber-eating good for nothings should have let me in on this sooner!
          My journal, man!

          Comment


          • Another key things I need to address is more organ meats, more bone broths, I want to have an “earthier” diet if that makes sense. Marrow, brains, etc… I literally have none of that in my diet right now and I bet I could use a lot of collagen…
            Iniquity~ You might like the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. It has loads of recipes for fermented foods and organ meats, etc...

            As for me, I, too have upped my carbs--but I am happy I went vlc for 6 weeks, just to see how it felt. I am eating about 70-80 gms a day now. However, I have fructose malabsorption disorder, so most fruit is out for me--and I am just too lazy to cook starchy carbs--so I only eat them when my husband is here to cook. I eat about 30 gm of sucrose a day--mostly from small amounts of chocolate, ice cream and home-made jello (for my gelatin!) I keep portions small and eat these desserts right after my Primal meal of meat or eggs and green veggies. Works for me.
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
              I am just too lazy to cook starchy carbs
              Do you mean impatient? In my experience, starchy carbs are the easiest thing in the world to cook along with having the shortest prep time. They just take longer cooking time.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
                Do you mean impatient? In my experience, starchy carbs are the easiest thing in the world to cook along with having the shortest prep time. They just take longer cooking time.
                Cut up a sweet potato, 5 minutes in the pressure cooker, add fat, season, and mash. Quick, easy, and tasty. I do three or four at once and save the extra. Pop it in the microwave and go. I do the same with baked spuds, too, making a bunch at once.

                I ended up VLC sort of by accident, too. I never bothered to weigh anything until I read the PHD. 600 calories of either kind of potato is two pounds of food! I'm happy to say that my annoying weight loss has stopped now. I've even managed to gain back 5 pounds of badly needed weight.

                Gordo

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
                  My journal, man!
                  I know I know it was out there I was just too stuck in my ways, I guess. Besides, your journal is more about you trying to gain weight/muscle isn’t it? So I saw all your white-rice-eatin’ as fatassery.

                  Totally hypocritical considering I stuff my face with ice cream. I swear, I can be really selective on the things I choose to place importance on. Bone broth? Meh, ice cream? Yes sir.
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                  Comment


                  • Guys~ I do know how to cook, lol!

                    Impatient...hmmmm...I don't know...I prepare kombucha that takes 2 weeks to ferment--and jello takes four hours to set!

                    I like sweet potatoes, but I don't LOVE them, so maybe that's it. Potatoes--meh--they are pretty tasteless to me these days--even with lots of butter.

                    Generally my meals take 5-7 min to prepare. Rare steaks, scrambled or fried eggs, sauteed greens, etc. When I am ready to eat, I'm not interested in waiting very long!

                    My dh is a chef, so I have been really spoiled the last 4 years and he does all the real cooking when he is here (he's moved ahead of me to Santa Fe & I am here selling the house.) I'm still eating the chicken & beef liver patÚs he froze for me before he left!
                    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                    Comment


                    • You can microwave sweet potatoes too - 5 min and they are done - open them up and add butter and they are awesome!
                      Karin

                      A joyful heart is good medicine

                      He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

                      Mmmmm. Real food is good.

                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

                      Comment


                      • I don't own a microwave, lol! Not really interested in getting one, either.
                        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                          I know I know it was out there I was just too stuck in my ways, I guess. Besides, your journal is more about you trying to gain weight/muscle isn’t it? So I saw all your white-rice-eatin’ as fatassery.

                          Totally hypocritical considering I stuff my face with ice cream. I swear, I can be really selective on the things I choose to place importance on. Bone broth? Meh, ice cream? Yes sir.
                          You have a problem with ice cream, I have a problem with the goddam cottage cheese, chocolate and nuts. I can eat it all into oblivion.

                          Experiment with some L-Tryptophan (get it on iherb.com or something), it supposed to help with carb craving.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JPA View Post
                            You have a problem with ice cream, I have a problem with the goddam cottage cheese, chocolate and nuts. I can eat it all into oblivion.

                            Experiment with some L-Tryptophan (get it on iherb.com or something), it supposed to help with carb craving.
                            Isn't that the crap that makes you sleepy? I find that I, too, have less carb cravings when I am sleepy and passed out on the couch.

                            Comment


                            • FWIW - Today marks 10 weeks of Primal eating, and I'm still focused on healing so haven't done any counting or weighing - but I know now that I sleep better and lose weight using moderate fatty proteins, green veges and kumara (sweet potato variety). I found that I don't feel good or lose weight on VLC (I have 66lb to lose eventually). It's torture for me, and has absolutely no gains at the end of the day - there's no way I can work mentally or work out physically on VLC.

                              As I've begun to heal, I can also IF for up to 24 hours so far with no angst if I have eaten carbs pre-fast, and I don't seem to overeat if I have kumara in my break-fast meal. Also, the kumara is amazing with butter so it helps to get more fat into me!
                              Started Feb 18 2011

                              Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

                              Journalling here

                              Comment


                              • I'm dying to try some of those purple sweet potatoes from Japan - they just look so alien, it's awesome.
                                Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

                                Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X