Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting?
    Anyone else lose more weight eating more than 50g of carbs a day?
    And how much fat loss are we talking here? Because I'm not down to that "last 10lbs." i've got more like 50lbs. to go at this point.
    I think I've had a similar experience but I've been making so many changes that I have to do quite a bit more exclusion before I can say for sure. I'm currently off of my daily coffee and wasn't able to do that without requiring a nap until I hit 70g carbs a day. I also recently started adding in coconut oil in and that seems to be helping out a whole ton, but again, I can't be positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPA View Post
      So for someone like me who eats just lunch and dinner (2 meals), for a proper sleep and overall well being, we should consume more carbs in the evening?

What are the Jaminet's views on number of meals per day?
      I would say so. I favor fasted workouts in the morning and carby meals in the evening to fuel them the next day. I don't know their views on number of meals but they are in favor of inducing autophagy, and 2 meals per day wisely timed like yours are does that. Just make them no more than 6 hours apart.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

• A day of nothing but coconut milk, and butter... um. Yuck. Do you actually follow that one Stabby?

I've been wondering about the 2 meals a day thing. I'm in school now, so when I wake up at 6a the last thing I want is food. But come 9a if I haven't eaten it's a struggle. Timing all of these things can be very aggravating, not to mention eating while away from the kitchen. (6a and 11p being the times I'm near my kitchen on an average day.) I am spectacularly bad a brown bagging my meals. (The meals are awesome, they just end up on the kitchen counter.)

I'm still in information absorption mode, so I am finding this thread fascinating. I'm used to eating a lower carb PB way right now, so the new paradigm is going to take a minute.

Although I did experimentally eat a sweet potato, and my wang didn't fall off yet, so I'm still taking a "wait and see" approach.

Comment

• Thanks Stabby. I'm currently on a 16/8 window.

In the Jaminet's opinion, if I were to follow it, it would be like a 18/6 feeding window instead?

By the way don't be afraid of sweet potatoes, I just read a bunch of people on this forum saying they had this or that and only had one sweet potato. I just had 2 yesterday in a 2000 calorie meal along with a king mackerel, salad, spinach and a massive whey protein shake with strawberries, goat milk and chia seeds. If I were to die today, at least I have enjoyed my last meal yesterday.

I still have a long way to go though - knocks on wood three times.

Comment

• Here are a couple of carbs I added into my diet this week, which I thoroughly enjoyed thanks to this more relaxed stance on carbs:
            Oven roasted shoestring sweet potatoes baked in coconut oil
            Oven roasted parsnips cooked in olive oil
            Rice crackers
            Sushi for breakfast!

This seems to have broken my pLateau and I'm down 2-3 lbs. As soon as I finish Deep Nutrition, PHD is next on my reading list.
            Last edited by Adrianag; 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
              Here are a couple of carbs I added into my diet this week, which I thoroughly enjoyed thanks to this more relaxed stance on carbs:
              Oven roasted shoestring sweet potatoes baked in coconut oil
              Oven roasted parsnips cooked in olive oil
              Rice crackers
              Sushi!

This seems to have broken my pateau and I'm down 2-3 lbs. As soon as I finish Deep Nutrition PHD is next on my reading list.
              Well done!!!! Relaxing your stance on carbs probably ended up giving you a more nutritious diet overall as well. Im re-reading PHD again atm , I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
              "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

• Just to let you know Stabby, and other guys, that yesterday I ate a regular low carb meal at lunch, and then a higher carb meal with basically no protein at dinner, in order to take my Doctor's Best L-Tryptophan, which is something you should take with a meal low in protein so the amino acids aren't competing themselves for absorption.

Well, the tryptophan itself doesn't seem to do me much in terms of sleeping (it helps with carb craving though), but I noticed that, since my meal was basically fat and good carbs, I slept kind of nice. My dinner was:

One sweet potatoe, half of an avocado,, lettuce, cucumber, tons of broccoli, a bunch of olive oil and a bit of coconut oil if I remember. A pretty light meal, however it was pretty rewarding as my jaw was always moving to stuff down all this food, which, apart from the avocado, it's all low calorie: interesting way to fool your brain and stomach.

Bottom line: more carbs in the evening seem to help for me. I though I would get hungrier from dinner to lunch of next day, but apparently it was fine.

Comment

• I'm about 1/3 of the way through PHD right now and I love it! This basically describes what my PB has naturally gravitated towards over the past year. Lots of new info, too. I'm going to start saying I follow the PHD and not "basically paleo" now, because PHD has a specific meaning and is not associated with caveman reenactment.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                    I'm about 1/3 of the way through PHD right now and I love it! This basically describes what my PB has naturally gravitated towards over the past year. Lots of new info, too. I'm going to start saying I follow the PHD and not "basically paleo" now, because PHD has a specific meaning and is not associated with caveman reenactment.
                    This is pretty much how I've been shifting recently as well. I've been introducing a lot more carbs into my diet (parsnips, sweet potatoes, white rice, etc) and following a more PHD approach and it's working well for me. I kind of have a mishmashed diet comprised of paleo/primal/phd, but all three diets and lifestyles have things in them that I like.

Comment

• I find it really interesting that a lot of us who've been at this for 6 months or more are finding that we do better with more starch.

When I started PB, I was all about the sub 30g of carbs as my main aim was to lose weight. Well, 7 months of that saw me lose precisely nothing. In the last 6 weeks (after having read PHD), I have added potatoes, rice, taro and sweet potatoes to my diet; in addition I have started eating in a 6 hour eating window. I've been losing 2-3lbs a week ever since, it's like a magic formula for me!

The best part is no longer having to think so hard about what to eat. A lot of 'normal' foods have made their way back into the roster with the addition of more starch. I use rice noodles as pasta and can have carbonara and bolognaise again, a baked potato stuffed with chilli and cheese is a great, quick meal, asian stir fries, sushi, risotto, etc....

I should mention that I also read Deep Nutrition and Nourishing Traditions and I also use a lot of collagen broths, fermented veg and raw dairy. I'm working on upping my organ meat consumption too. I'm on a pork liverwurst kick atm, which is just delicious with rice crackers.
                      My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NourishedEm View Post
                        I find it really interesting that a lot of us who've been at this for 6 months or more are finding that we do better with more starch.

When I started PB, I was all about the sub 30g of carbs as my main aim was to lose weight. Well, 7 months of that saw me lose precisely nothing. In the last 6 weeks (after having read PHD), I have added potatoes, rice, taro and sweet potatoes to my diet; in addition I have started eating in a 6 hour eating window. I've been losing 2-3lbs a week ever since, it's like a magic formula for me!

The best part is no longer having to think so hard about what to eat. A lot of 'normal' foods have made their way back into the roster with the addition of more starch. I use rice noodles as pasta and can have carbonara and bolognaise again, a baked potato stuffed with chilli and cheese is a great, quick meal, asian stir fries, sushi, risotto, etc....

I should mention that I also read Deep Nutrition and Nourishing Traditions and I also use a lot of collagen broths, fermented veg and raw dairy. I'm working on upping my organ meat consumption too. I'm on a pork liverwurst kick atm, which is just delicious with rice crackers.

I think a big issue is that a lot of people come to this forum without having done any research/reading/any work whatsoever and then immediately assume this is a "low carb" kind of thing. A lot of people here also seem to have very little interest in fitness outside of walking. If they bothered to read, they would see that the Primal Diet is actually really freaking similar to the PHD as both of these utilize starches!

It may be true that only 20% of weightloss is exercise, but I believe that 100% of being a physically functional human who can do more than go up and down a flight of stairs at the office building means doing some kind of physical activity. In order to fuel those activities (and I have seen nothing that can prove to me otherwise) carbohydrates are practically magical.

I know that is a controversial stance to take, especially here, but I have seen way too many people who finally realize that staying in ketosis 24/7 when you are not trying to fix severe diabetes or epillepsy is not really the "optimal" way to attain their physical goals. I believe hitting the super low carb / ketosis route can be fantastic for fixing insulin resistance and fixing "carb cravings", but there comes a point where it just takes self control to be able to eat a plate of parsnips and then not go stuff your face with chocolate cake.

edit: AND DON'T SUBSTITUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE FOR A 6000 CALORIE ALMOND MEAL CHOCOLATE CAKE!

Comment

• Rivvin I totally agree - but one of the other things you realize after learning more about this stuff is that interindividual variation really matters - PB / PHD does need to be pretty low carb for a lot of people, maybe not for everyone. And also you and I and everyone doing this, let's face it, are low carbers compared to the SAD. I may eat a whole sweet potato in a meal, but that's still only 50 or so grams of carbs and very low sugar. If I bothered to track, my current diet still fits comfortably within Mark's under 150 grams guidelines. We are LC, just not VLC.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                            Rivvin I totally agree - but one of the other things you realize after learning more about this stuff is that interindividual variation really matters - PB / PHD does need to be pretty low carb for a lot of people, maybe not for everyone. And also you and I and everyone doing this, let's face it, are low carbers compared to the SAD. I may eat a whole sweet potato in a meal, but that's still only 50 or so grams of carbs and very low sugar. If I bothered to track, my current diet still fits comfortably within Mark's under 150 grams guidelines. We are LC, just not VLC.
                            Oh yeah, I absolutely agree with you in regards to individuals requiring different nutritional values/ratios. I just think there is too much focus on ketosis/ultra low carb/cruciferous greens only/etc.

I would never recommend my 150 - 175g average of carbs a day to someone who doesn't do any kind of training and is still very obese, and I would not recommend 40g of carbs a day to someone who is only 5 pounds away from their goal weight and lifts heavy things 3 - 4 times a week.

Comment

• To put it plainly, I feel kind of dumb having gone VLC for more than 3-4 months. I feel like I shot myself in the foot. I am reading some literature that supports a VLC diet, but I – for some reason I can’t explain to myself – forgot the part where “you should eat for activity” that I not only read and agreed with, but also pushed to others. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t VLC everyday, but most days I was all too happy to just eat meat and eggs. I mean, talk about easy and delicious! But unfortunately not entirely practical, and in my personal experience, not optimal. My laziness in the kitchen got the best of me, so preparing the veggies I had deemed “useless” was too much of a chore, throwing some meat and eggs on a pan is much easier.

Anyway, enough with the self-pity, I’m starting to add more veggies in general, and more starches on certain days. I hope my workouts benefit from it, as sometimes I’d poop out and actually felt like I am getting progressively weaker or hitting plateaus everywhere.

Adding to my to-read list: Perfect Health Diet and Deep Nutrition, but think I will read PHD first.

My girlfriend who is 1/3 into the Primal Blueprint has actually consistently been coming up to me and having me read passages that support higher carb consumption and reminding me it’s not just about meat. I definitely got carried away.

I still wonder why I didn’t lose fat though, as most of the stuff I read indicated that a protein and fat diet should see you shed like crazy. I wasn’t counting calories so it’s entirely possible I was still over-eating.

Damn it, so much for the metabolic advantage. Sorry dudes, I’m leaving the board and joining the Anthony Colpo church. All you back-stabbing, tuber-eating good for nothings should have let me in on this sooner!
                              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                                Oh yeah, I absolutely agree with you in regards to individuals requiring different nutritional values/ratios. I just think there is too much focus on ketosis/ultra low carb/cruciferous greens only/etc.

I would never recommend my 150 - 175g average of carbs a day to someone who doesn't do any kind of training and is still very obese, and I would not recommend 40g of carbs a day to someone who is only 5 pounds away from their goal weight and lifts heavy things 3 - 4 times a week.
                                Stop this! I’m literally hitting my head against my desk reading this as it makes too much sense and I forgot all about it. It’s like I was a VLC zombie. Why the fuck did I only eat kale for months?! I AM SMARTER THAN THAT.

Sorry. I think I’m sensitive because RuPaul’s drag race ended and my homegirl Manila Luzon didn’t win. I’ll sashay away now…
                                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X