Grassfed Ranchers = flakes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grassfed Ranchers = flakes?

I figured I'd run this by the crowd. I've emailed two different grassfed ranchers in my state multiple times, and both of them have failed to respond to my email. Is this standard for folks in this biz? Especially considering I specifically mentioned interest in a 1/4 beef in each email? I realize that I *could* call them, but to my way of thinking, if you have a website and a contact me link that is a black hole, you don't want my money. I'm seriously considering having the beast shipped from another state at this point...

Not all ranchers are tech savvy. Maybe they hired someone to make the website for them but haven't gotten the hang of e-mail. Just call them. Maybe you don't want it that badly.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
      Maybe you don't want it that badly.
      Maybe I don't. I'd prefer to shop locally, in theory, but in all honesty I'm fine with having meat shipped from Texas.

In any case, that doesn't address my question - what has your experience been? Do you have any sources you recommend for delivered grassfed meats? Shipping costs are an issue...
      Last edited by blank_faceplate; 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM. Reason: added useful content

Comment

Just call. Buy locally and save the gas of the shipping and the cost of the shipping. Whats the big deal

Comment

Pick up the phone. Some people still prefer to speak to others.
          Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Comment

I've ordered from Slanker's twice with good results. Shipping is very reasonable if you get 65 lbs. I called to order from them - it's what they recommend for first-time orders. I'm not wild about the telephone in general, but calling (and therefore supporting) a local rancher is way different from calling Verizon for customer service.
            Last edited by prib81; 08-03-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prib81 View Post
              I've ordered from Slanker's twice with good results. Shipping is very reasonable if you get 65 lbs.
              Thanks. That's actually the place in TX I'm considering.

Comment

Telephone the local guys. You will not regret it.

Comment

There are a lot of flaky farmers in my town... like over half of them. It doesn't appear to be just prevalent among grass-fed beef farmers... it's also pastured chicken farmers, organic veggie farmers, all of em. They've got a cool laid-back attitude, but they also are sorta unorganized. One of the reasons I chose the veggie CSA that I did was because they actually seemed pretty tech-savvy. I could pay online, the organizer checks her email daily, it's fantastic. =]
                  "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I've had a great experience with the grassfed beef farmer that I've done business with. They respond to emails usually within 24 hours and will package special requests even for small orders. For those in southeast Georgia, it's Hunter Cattle: http://huntercattle.com/ I guess I'm lucky to have had such a great experience and such friendly helpful farmers.

Comment

I think a lot of them are just very busy, old-school folk without a lot of tech savvy or business/customer service experience. Ranching is a tough life best done by people who like a lot of time, space, and solitude. Their product may be excellent but their sales very relationship-based, so it'll take some extra effort to get started.

That said, I also prefer a professional operation with a good website.
                      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by prib81 View Post
                        I've ordered from Slanker's twice with good results. Shipping is very reasonable if you get 65 lbs. I called to order from them - it's what they recommend for first-time orders. I'm not wild about the telephone in general, but calling (and therefore supporting) a local rancher is way different from calling Verizon for customer service.
                        +1 on Slankers. That's where I'm getting my next round of beefs from.
                        Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

Farmers are busy, it's hard work, your e-mails might not have been noticed yet, or *gasp* might not have the sort of priority that you'd assign them.

Not everyone can spend all day checking their e-mail every 5 min.

Comment

I've found the same thing, it's honestly better to call. A lot of people who raise animals and plants are more old-school, and may not spend much time on the internet at all. They definitely have a phone though, and will probably call you back as soon as they get a message since it's in their best interest to sell their goods.

It's infinitely better to buy from a local source than it is to buy from out of state. Please just call, it's not hard. If you want more people to raise meat responsibly, you have to buy from them and encourage it in your area. The internet is crippling our sense of local community so badly, and it's going to bite us in the ass if we don't start supporting our very own farmers and ranchers in our very own cities and states.
                            You are what you eat,
                            and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                              Farmers are busy, it's hard work, your e-mails might not have been noticed yet, or *gasp* might not have the sort of priority that you'd assign them.

Not everyone can spend all day checking their e-mail every 5 min.
                              Then, quite simply, not everyone has a viable business model. They weren't forced to put a "contact us" link on their page that pops up an email form. Anyone who is in the business of selling *anything* who doesn't bite at an offer for a $600+ purchase either doesn't like money, or needs help.

Comment

Working...
                              X