Speaking of Alarm Clocks . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Alarm Clocks . . .

I hate my alarm clock! The alarm is a noxious, jarring sound that sends my heart racing and puts my whole body into a fight-or-flight state that can't possibly be healthy first thing in the morning. There's GOT to be a better way! I don't have the luxury of just sleeping until I naturally wake up nor the luxury of a $150 Zen-chime clock. Please recommend other more gentle ways to awaken. Something that'll play CD's maybe? Thanks!

Do you have a cell phone? I use mine as my alarm clock and selected the most pleasant low key ring to gently wake me up.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have my cell phone play Moonlight Sonata to wake me up. Works well for me.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

The Verilux Rise and Shine Natural Alarm clock has changed my waking-in-the-dark mornings to sunrise and chirping birds. I don't know if they carry the one I have, but Verilux has others.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

After getting onto a schedule i don't need an alarm clock. I set my alarm for a worst case scenario time and i generally wake up 1/2 hour befoer that and turn it off, i almost never hear my alarm clock
          Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
          Current Weight: 266lbs
          High-school Weight: 235lbs
          Goal: ????

Comment

We were talking about this at work today. There is an Android application called Gentle Alarm which starts off with low volume and gradually increased volume over a thirty minute period. So if you set your alarm for 8am, it starts at 7:30am and it gradually gets louder until it's 8am. This will wake you up immediately if you are in light sleep, and will gradually wake you up if you are in deep sleep. There may be a similar app for the iPhone.

I personally do not use any alarm at all and I find that this works best.
            Last edited by Grok; 07-06-2010, 05:58 PM. Reason: Add sentence about not using any alarm

Comment

I only use an alarm when i have to catch an early flight. Otherwise the toddler wakes me up in plenty of time to get to work.

Comment

Some of you might think this short story is crazy but it is as true as can be...

For months I set my alarm clock for 7 am. Then I decided to go primal on April 5. For the next 8 straight days I woke up before 7 am and therefore never heard my alarm clock. I decided to throw it out. 9/10 times at minimum I wake up between 6 and 7 am. The other time it will usually be just after 7.

If I need to make a flight, wake up early for a 5K, etc. then I will set my alarm. But, the sun wakes me up naturally today and I believe this can be the case for anyone during the summer months.

When do you have to wake up by?
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisous View Post
                  I only use an alarm when i have to catch an early flight. Otherwise the toddler wakes me up in plenty of time to get to work.
                  Exactly my first thought! Have a baby, you'll never need an alarm again!

Comment

I would be scared to death to go without an alarm clock. Bosses are not forgiving when you try to explain that your primal lifestyle internal alarm clock failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                      For months I set my alarm clock for 7 am. Then I decided to go primal on April 5. For the next 8 straight days I woke up before 7 am and therefore never heard my alarm clock. I decided to throw it out. 9/10 times at minimum I wake up between 6 and 7 am. The other time it will usually be just after 7.
                      +1 Only for me, it's always - if I go to bed before midnight.

(Except when I did miss my flight on Sunday (6:30 am) because I stayed up till 2:45 am talking with family members I'd never met before)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I saw one in the LLBean catalogue that slowly turns on a light, like a sunrise. I think sound is optional. I always thought this would be nice when you have to get up on dark wintery mornings.
                        Mermaid

Comment

I find that I am very sensitive to light. During the summer, I wake up between 5:00-5:30 whether I want to to or not. During the winter, I need an alarm clock, because I have to get up before it is light. I wish I could change my schedule in the winter, but like Rivvin says, bosses don't care about my seasonal wake patterns.
                          Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                            I would be scared to death to go without an alarm clock. Bosses are not forgiving when you try to explain that your primal lifestyle internal alarm clock failed.
                            depends on your job, if i got to work an hour late or so nobody would notice, and if they did they wouldn't care much. As long as i didnt miss a meeting or something (Engineer)
                            Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
                            Current Weight: 266lbs
                            High-school Weight: 235lbs
                            Goal: ????

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                              For the next 8 straight days I woke up before 7 am and therefore never heard my alarm clock. I decided to throw it out. 9/10 times at minimum I wake up between 6 and 7 am. The other time it will usually be just after 7.

If I need to make a flight, wake up early for a 5K, etc. then I will set my alarm.
                              Not to poke at your story... but if you threw your alarm clock out... how do you set it?... :-P
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X