Allergies and high protein diets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies and high protein diets

I was reading one of my favorite mags "Mother Earth News" and it had an article about allergies and natural treatments. Their number one treatment was to drastically reduce the amount of meat you eat. They said high protein diets have been shown to INCREASE the inflammatory response and exacerbate allergies. They quoted a few studies. Anyone heard this?

Here's the excerpt from the April/May2010 "Mother Earth News"

"...Eat more fruits and vegetables and fewer animal foods. This is no quick fix, says noted alternative medicine expert Andrew Weil, M.D. but over time, it helps. Animal foods---meats, poultry, fish, milk, cheese and eggs- are high in protein. A high-protein diet makes the immune system more reactive and thus more likely to erupt in allergic reactions. Eating less meat reduces protein intake, which helps calm the immune system. Many Americans think a low-protein diet is unhealthy. It isn't. In fact, Americans eat much more protein than they should. A high-protein diet is strongly associated with the nation's leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Meanwhile, many studies show that a vegetarian or near-vegetarian diet substantially reduces the risk of these diseases- as well as diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and Alzheimer's disease. Fruits and vegetables are our main sources of antioxidant nutrients. Researchers at the South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa reviewed the research and concluded that as antioxidant intake increases, allergy symptoms decrease..."
    Last edited by soniayak; 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM. Reason: added article
    http://primalyak.blogspot.com

IDK--from my own personal research and my own self experimentation, it seems like almost every ailment is curable/treatable through a grain free, lower carb, whole foods, high quality *meat* and *animal fat* based diet. I don't know what studies have been/are being done on all of this, but I can tell you from personal experience that a low protein, high carb (vegetarian) diet served me very poorly for 12 years, (I did eat this way for "health" for many of those years--and probably read some of the same CW propoganda you're talking about) and caused all sorts of allergies/intolerances in my son. Only through adding lots of nutrient dense foods, including lots of meats, fat, and bone broth, have we seen major healing occur. I've read over and over and over again that a no grain, low sugar, meat/fat/veggie based diet seems to be very helpful for everything from digestive disorders and allergies to epilepsy to cancer...

Maybe that info is in relation to poor quality meat/animal protein. I also would love to see a study done on grain free, low carb eating folks who have a mostly meat and plant based diet. I think that is lacking in our society--real info on what meat actually does (when it's not combined w/ crappy veggie oils and tons of grain-based, factory processed carbs...)

I'd personally chalk it up to CW propoganda. The majority of the healing I've read about, specifically in regards to allergies or intolerances was usually related to nutrient deficiencies, and healing was greatly aided by eating LOTS of (good) fatty, high quality, grass fed/pastured meat and foods made from it. Anyway, sorry to be rambly--that's just my .02!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Without reading the studies I can't say anything at all, seems like a baseless assertion to me.

Brain storm: which proteins do they mean? The proteins in beef or are they talking about gluten and casein. Gluten and cow casein are horrible allergenic junk but they come from grains and dairy which we eschew. It would be dishonest to take a study that uses those two and try to extrapolate that to animal protein which has been deeply entrenched in our genetics for millions of years whereas gluten and casein are within the least 10000.

Animal fat? Arachidonic acid. That is why we stress low omega 6 meats that are fed grass and have adequate omega 3. That doesn't mean not to eat animal fat, it means eat more grass-fed beef and less chicken, take fish oil, eat fish, etc. It's all a delicate balance.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

All I know is, this is the first season that I haven't been, "Claritin Girl".
        Nary a sniffle...

Comment

Sounds like a load of shizzle to me. Allergies seem to be greatly reduced by a primal diet.

Comment

If you could give us some references to the studies we might be able to give a more informed response. Has the article been published on the internet? Perhaps you could find a link and we can have a read.
            My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I imagine this could be true, IF you are also eating a SAD with lots of grains and starchy carbs, sugar, processed junk, etc.

Cutting grains and severely limiting dairy (I do whey protein shakes a few times a week and occasionally have raw, unpasteurized cheese) has made my allergies in one of the worst years for it (this year) almost non-existent. A few sniffles here and there, a bit more at work where it's an old building with shit air but I'm totally off the drugs to treat the symptoms. PB diet with high protein (25%+ of calories) fixed it for me.

Comment

Bumped with article added to OP
                http://primalyak.blogspot.com

Comment

My guess would be they aren't using grass fed meat and are using "heart healthy" omega 6 rich wonderful corn fed meat, in which case I would not be surprised.

Comment

Okay well I can make baseless assertions too. Watch:

Vegetarians are all cultists who rape little children and eating a diet full of meat that has been brutally slaughtered with a chainsaw has been demonstrated to heighten IQ by an average of 90 points.
                    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Dr. Andrew Weil is a low fat guy--typical 'whole grain' advice, etc. He's also a fame-whore who tries to be the 'expert' so that he can sell his supplements, etc. Everything he 'advocates' that's good (e.g., tumeric) can be found in any Google search. He just tries to ride the current waves enough but appear to be innovative. I wouldn't pay attention to anything he advises in terms of nutrition.

Comment

This is the first spring I'm not on a daily dose of Claritin, meanwhile, my wife can't take enough of it.
                        Pollen has literally been piling up here (maple, pine and grass in full swing right now), and no congestion, runny nose, or dry eyes.

I'm pretty convinced that if it isn't based on diet changes directly, its based on reducing inflammation caused by something else related to diet.

Comment

Eat more fruits and vegetables and fewer animal foods.
                          Sets up premise, i.e this is what I am going to argue.

Animal foods---meats, poultry, fish, milk, cheese and eggs- are high in protein.
                          True

A high-protein diet makes the immune system more reactive and thus more likely to erupt in allergic reactions.
                          An extraordinary claim with no evidence to back it up. They should provide reference to at least one study (although you really need several to demonstrate it). By the way, what do you mean by 'high'. 100g a day, 200g a day, 300g a day?

Eating less meat reduces protein intake, which helps calm the immune system.
                          Faulty reasoning based on an unproven premise that protein harms the immune system - see above.

A high-protein diet is strongly associated with the nation's leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, and stroke.
                          Prove it! As far as I am aware there are no studies that demonstrate this.

Meanwhile, many studies show that a vegetarian or near-vegetarian diet substantially reduces the risk of these diseases- as well as diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and Alzheimer's disease.
                          There have been a couple of studies that showed a vegetarian diet offered improvements in the measured health indicators, but there are at least as many showing that a meat based diet was healthier by measuring the same indicators. There is no evidence that this statement is in any way true.

Fruits and vegetables are our main sources of antioxidant nutrients.
                          Antioxidents are found in many foods:

Antioxidants are substances that occur naturally in many fruits and vegetables, as well as in nuts, grains and even some meat, poultry and fish. Beta-carotene (found in carrots, cantaloupe and other orange foods), vitamin E (found in nuts, broccoli and corn oil), vitamin A (found in liver, egg yolks and milk), vitamin C (found in citrus fruits and leafy vegetables), and selenium (found in meat and bread) are some of the most commonly known antioxidants

By the way, there has been some recent research to show that antioxidents do not appear to protect against heart disease and cancer. The jury is still out on this: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/nws/co..._still_out.asp (there is more recent research but I can't find it right now).

Researchers at the South Florida College of Medicine in Tampa reviewed the research and concluded that as antioxidant intake increases, allergy symptoms decrease
                          Couldn't find the review, but note that this is a review of other people's research, not their own. These reviews can be very unreliable because they are open to cherry picking of desirable papers which meet an artificial set of criteria. The paper needs careful study.

This is a sloppy article with no evidence posted to substantiate their claims. They probably feel they don't need to as their assumptions (fruit good, meat bad) is CW so no one will argue. Except me that is!!
                          My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

As far as I am concerned, paleo/low carb/PB eating is not high protein but high fat, moderate protein and low carb with the carbohydrate sources coming from berries, leafy green vegetables and some tubers rather than grains and other high glycemic/pro-inflammatory products.

I am also in the club of no longer having colds when everyone else does (I have 15 month old kids and work at a high school of 2200 people...there are a lot of sick people around me every day, all day). I can also say that this year, compared to the past, has been the first where I have not had to spend all day over the sink with hot water and a towel on my head to steam out my sinus'. I have also been able to skip the allergy meds as well.

This is just my experience but I am one of many who have made the change to a more natural paleo/PB/Low Carb eating plan while not getting sick.

I could be wrong, but at least I don't have to support claritin and I can sleep every day, and I don't get migraine headaches due to my sinus infections

Comment

The problem with an article like this is that whoever wrote it isn't knowledgeable enough in the subject to challenge the assertions being made. So then it gets printed and passed off as if it's the truth.
                              Primal Cyclist - No Brakes, No Gears, No Handlebars, One Wheel, No Problem

Comment

Working...
                              X