Toxins in Animal Fat - Fact or CW BS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxins in Animal Fat - Fact or CW BS?

I was watching PBS and on came a program/lecture promoting the book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" (http://www.amenclinics.com/). He brings up some interesting facts and tips. For example, realizing that you do indeed have control over what you eat and eliminating ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts).

However, where he made me question his late night ramblings is when he was promoting the idea that animal fat should not be consumed because that is where toxins (was not specific as to which toxins) are stored. Now, I remember my science teacher saying something to the extent of if someone was to do LCD for a certain amount of time and gain fat while doing so that when the individual loses the fat, they will have mini acid trips.

Is this just a myth or is there some fire behind this smoke? Could someone shed some light on this with any research they have done? Are there certain types of animal fat that are better to eat than others (of course, grass fed-organic is the right choice but is that because of the quality of meat or the fat)?

AFAIK there's some truth to that, which is why you choose organic as much as possible. I buy organic butter. Can't find organic cream

I'm fortunate here in OZ that most of our meat is pretty much free range and grass fed anyhow. Grain-fed is showing up specially labeled in the supermarket as a 'good thing'.

Comment

I would need to see some evidence that it's of biological significance. Cw and especially alties (who aren't CW but exhibit the same lack of reasoning skills) like to blow up insignificant things to huge raging leviathans of hysteria. Is it so little an amount that it doesn't make a difference one way or the other? The Canadian government doesn't want us to get sick and they regulate all of the animal feed and the growth techniques. There aren't any antibiotics in meat and the only growth hormones used are ones found in humans and in downright negligible amounts. I really really really wouldn't be afraid of Albertan meat.

Unless there is actual evidence as to the harm of it. Either way, grass-fed is better for the fatty acid profile, but if someone asserts that the conventional canadian meat is dangerous, ask them for their sources.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Then again, maybe you shouldn't be so complacent about the Canadian food system -
        http://www.foodqualitynews.com/Publi...system-slammed

It is easy to quantify the amount of toxin contained in sample tissue (in this case, animal fat) using liquid chromatography. It is used pretty routinely to track down outbreaks of food poisoning (for instance - http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/articl...06A0381692.php).

It's harder to track down experimental links between toxin levels on ingested food to toxin levels in individuals - I'm not sure if anyone would sign up for that study
        Last edited by MikkiB; 05-25-2010, 09:12 AM. Reason: fix link

Comment

So, I guess that leads me to ask whether or not the potential toxins in animal fat lead you to rethink your consumption habits. I agree with and have benefited from the Primal Blueprint but I am just wanting to be a devil's advocate in order to further enlighten myself and others.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
            The Canadian government doesn't want us to get sick
            Any government is concerned about the health of its citizens only inasmuch as they are able to work and pay taxes. The dollar is of course the bottom line.

I would also like to see a list of these "toxins." The only one I've ever seen named is lectin, and that's a plant thing.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

And insofar is they don't leech money out of a public health care system. I hear that cancer costs taxpayers money.

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiB View Post
                Then again, maybe you shouldn't be so complacent about the Canadian food system -
                http://www.foodqualitynews.com/Publi...system-slammed

It is easy to quantify the amount of toxin contained in sample tissue (in this case, animal fat) using liquid chromatography. It is used pretty routinely to track down outbreaks of food poisoning (for instance - http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/articl...06A0381692.php).

It's harder to track down experimental links between toxin levels on ingested food to toxin levels in individuals - I'm not sure if anyone would sign up for that study
                Food-borne illnesses are an issue of processing, not production.

I just don't like people making baseless assertions about "toxins" in food without good evidence. That's all. I have to be skeptical of these things so that I don't end up believing wrong things. It's the government's word against the slow-thinking hippie's word, I'll side with the government unless there is sufficient evidence to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                  And insofar is they don't leech money out of a public health care system. I hear that cancer costs taxpayers money.
                  And makes money for pharmaceutical and other medical technology companies, which the government takes a chunk of, right?
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

the principle of LC is the same no matter what substance you look for. I'll try to find some references specific to production issues when I get home from work ... a simple Google Scholar search is coming up pretty empty.

LOLOLOL - I just found this on a non-scientific link - http://www.magusagora.org/eliminate-...t-trap-fat.htm
                    "Lawyers:
                    A simple lawyer provides 30 grams of fatty acid Omega-9, a type of fat that helps control hunger and cravings. It also helps the liver to process fats more efficiently to eliminate them. Research at the University of California at Riverside, we demonstrated that it was possible to lose 5 pounds in 2 months, consuming a daily lawyer, without calculating the calories consumed."

I'm game - though it might get expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
                      And makes money for pharmaceutical and other medical technology companies, which the government takes a chunk of, right?
                      Oh yeah I've heard about that. They supposedly do that so they can pay for the research needed to develop mind-control drugs that make us all subconsciously infatuated with Stephen Harper. Then we can be stripped of all our liberties slowly and used for forced labor by 2050.

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiB View Post
                        "Lawyers:
                        A simple lawyer provides 30 grams of fatty acid Omega-9, a type of fat that helps control hunger and cravings. It also helps the liver to process fats more efficiently to eliminate them. Research at the University of California at Riverside, we demonstrated that it was possible to lose 5 pounds in 2 months, consuming a daily lawyer, without calculating the calories consumed."

I'm game - though it might get expensive
                        Do you still have to pay a retainer if you're just going to eat them? It's not like they are writing letters and filing briefs or anything.

Comment

Ok... Risking sounding like an "altie," I actually buy that line about toxins stored in fat tissue, because I think I've actually read the same about humans. Toxins may be pesticides, heavy metals, etc. Fat cells are storage cells. Also, I found this:

http://www.fws.gov/pacific/ecoservic...taminants.html

"Organochlorines are compounds that contain carbon, chlorine, and hydrogen. Their chlorine-carbon bonds are very strong which means that they do not break down easily. They are highly insoluble in water, but are attracted to fats.

Since they resist metabolism and are readily stored in fatty tissue of any animal ingesting them, they accumulate in animals in higher trophic levels. This may occur when birds eat fish that have been exposed to the contaminant. It may also affect humans if they drink milk of a dairy cow that has ingested the chemical because the chemical is excreted in its milk fat. This is called biological magnification.

The intentional production and the unintentional release have elevated levels of these chemicals in the biosphere far beyond natural background levels."

DDT, PCB, dioxin = organochlorines

And from http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?re...d=1787&page=58 :

" ...The pesticides of greatest concern were halogenated hydrocarbons,
                          primarily halogenated aromatic hydrocarbons. Those compounds are generally
                          highly lipophilic and slowly metabolized — both properties that result in
                          their accumulation in the environment and in the tissues of higher animals,
                          including humans. The lipophilicity results in their moving from blood into
                          tissues with a high fat content, particularly adipose tissue, where they
                          concentrate with continued exposure. Therefore, the choice of adipose
                          tissue to monitor for pesticides addressed the original purpose of the
                          survey."

So, I guess yes - toxins are stored in animal fats (and human fats) so choose your meats wisely. Your body (and the body of animals I would suppose) can't use some things (like pesticides) and can't always get rid of them either...

Some other random things from the Environmental Working Group:

"PCBs concentrate in oils and fat,"
                          http://www.ewg.org/reports/farmedpcbs

""Women have more body fat than men, so our bodies can store more toxins," says Tina Eshaghpour, program officer for the Women's Foundation of California, a Bay Area organization that gives grants to nonprofits working on women's issues in the state. The natural changes women experience as part of their menstrual cycles and during pregnancy also increase their susceptibility to toxins, she adds. "With each of these hormonal fluctuations, different toxins keep getting re-released into our bodies, so we're constantly getting re-exposed even to chemicals that have persisted for many years or many decades in our bodies.""
                          http://www.ewg.org/node/17585

"Chemicals are carried along by air and water currents. The pesticides used on a banana plantation in Ecuador, the bleach used in a paper factory in Canada, the fluorine polymers produced in a chemical plant in France: they’re spreading across the world, accumulating in the environment and ending up in the food chain. They are then stored in people’s fat tissue and slowly released into the body."
                          http://www.ewg.org/node/17946

Comment

Many of the chemicals used to combat insects and to eliminate unwanted plants, etc. have strong bonds and will not be broken down by water. They are fat soluble however. So, any animal that absorbs these chemicals, either directly or by eating plants that were treated will store them in fat cells.

Any animal (us) that eats the contaminated cells of the contaminated animals will acquire some of those poisons.

That doesn't mean that the fat is toxic. You probably aren't going to die. In fact, each of us probably already have a fair amount of these assorted toxins stored in various cells of our bodies. Also, the liver is touted to be the most nutritious piece of meat to eat, but I think that it is also the most toxic organ in the body. Livers are factories that collect and process toxins for elimination. Healthy livers mean not having to worry too much about toxins in food as long as we are not getting super doses of poisons.

When people loose weight, they tend to release some of these stored fat soluble toxins. Maybe that is why some people don't feel so wonderful during weight loss.
                            Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Aren't lawyers a little too greasy for digestion?
                              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
                              X