Raw milk and illness in Minnesota

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw milk and illness in Minnesota

As the movement to relax regulations on raw milk seems to be gaining steam, health officials in Minnesota warned Wednesday that raw milk could be making more people sick than previously recognized, based on a 10-year study. They estimated that more than 17% of the state’s residents who drank raw milk got sick.

Minnesota says raw milk makes more people sick than recognized - latimes.com

I'm not following the math in that article. It doesn't say anywhere that raw milk drinkers are more likely to suffer food borne illnesses than pasteurized milk drinkers. Actually, I'm not convinced Minnesota health officials are saying anything useful at all.

I don't drink raw milk and I'm pretty certain I've suffered a number of transient food borne illnesses after eating in restaurants. I'd like to see the numbers on that.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
      I'm not following the math in that article. It doesn't say anywhere that raw milk drinkers are more likely to suffer food borne illnesses than pasteurized milk drinkers. Actually, I'm not convinced Minnesota health officials are saying anything useful at all.

I don't drink raw milk and I'm pretty certain I've suffered a number of transient food borne illnesses after eating in restaurants. I'd like to see the numbers on that.
      Your not following it cause it ain't there . Lots of unsubstantiated guestimations there. Hardly any hard data to speak of.

Comment

You know what regularly causes food-born illnesses? Packaged greens.

M.

Comment

As the movement to relax regulations on raw milk seems to be gaining steam...

thats the key. Raw milk is gaining steam. Time to throw out a little propaganda to calm things down a bit.

I have been drinking raw milk daily for about 7 years now. Back in the 60's we got it delivered to our door each morning in California. My mom and dad were raised on it. From their own cows no less.

Comment

I drank it for several years as kid fron an uncle's cows and for almost a decade now. I haven't had food poisoning during this time, but I have gotten food poisoning twice from restaurants, once from mussels from a pricey fish market, and once from bagged salad before I started drinking raw milk.

Comment

I saw that article when searching Google news and didn't even bother to read it. I already know the drill. There's a movement to a product that could potentially cut out the six companies that produce about 90% of our food, and the mud starts getting slung.

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
              +1000 I noticed that, and can't believe people still take a chance on that stuff. It seems like a disproportionate number of recalls are greens + plastic. But heck, what's a little salmonella if it can save you five minutes chopping greens?
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Hmm, just as well I bought my greens BEFORE I read this. Thankfully we seem to have survived them.

We are thriving on our raw milk, too.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I'll take my foot out of my mouth now.

Annie, I'm guessing it's a bigger problem here. Our food supply is just so corrupt. Sometimes I think the best course of action would be to live on imported cheese and filtered water.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Joanie, I do know how lucky I am to have access to wholesome food here. It is very irritating to find more and more products on the shelves with nasty additives in them, so I have to be vigilant, but on the whole we are well served. The greens are something that really I should grow myself, I was being lazy when I bought them but it never crossed my mind to fear that they might harm us.

As for the milk, I keep quiet about it cos many people are wary of unpasteurised, and also of the high fat content. But the older generation should know that it's better (they have gradually been brainwashed though).
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I grew up on raw milk and never got sick on it. I did manage to find a source for fresh greens, but next year, i want my own garden.
                      SW: 205
                      CW: 205
                      GW: 140

Measurements as of 12/23 Measurements as of 12/29
                      Neck 15.75 15.5
                      Arms L/R 15/14.5 14.5/14.5
                      Ribs 39.5 38.5
                      Hips 49 47.5
                      Diet Calculator

My journey

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
                        I spent some months living near the Salinas Valley, which is where 90% of America's lettuce comes from. Some observations:
                        1. The soil is amazingly fertile if it gets enough water. There are huge irrigation systems everywhere.
                        2. Cancer rates are really high for the people who live and work there. (Less of an observation, more of a rumor. No citations, sorry.)
                        3. The fields are HUUUGGEE!!! There's usually a couple portajohns parked around the fields, but those are sometimes a quarter mile or more from where the workers are harvesting. What are the odds the workers head back to the portajohn every time they need to go? E. Coli is not just spread from pig feces.
                        4. The fruits and vegetables of everywhere else I've ever lived in the U.S. pale in comparison to those in that area. Cheap and delicious.

Raw milk is only an issue for farms that don't take care of their cows or clean things properly.

Comment

I've never seen pics of industrial veg farms...to the Google!

I am also unhappy that they ban the stuff to protect me from "illness", yet I can still buy raw meat, cigarettes, etc.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                            As the movement to relax regulations on raw milk seems to be gaining steam, health officials in Minnesota warned Wednesday that raw milk could be making more people sick than previously recognized, based on a 10-year study. They estimated that more than 17% of the state’s residents who drank raw milk got sick.

Minnesota says raw milk makes more people sick than recognized - latimes.com
                            Nothing further to add? or just trolling?

The officials analyzed 14,339 cases of foodborne illness, and found that 3.7% had consumed raw milk -- mostly from cows -- during the time they were exposed to the bacteria. Seventy of them had to be hospitalized, for an average of three days, and an 11-month-old child died. Of the 530 people, 377 told officials where the milk came from. Almost half of them got it from their own or a relative’s farm.
                            What did the other 13,809 consume to get so sick if it wasn't raw milk, was it processed milk maybe?
                            As article states there is increasing pressure to relax raw milk controls, this suggests more and more people are consuming it, so 3.7% may simply be a population statistic of raw milk consumption.

No clear association was made between raw milk consumption and food poisoning, let alone any possibility of causation.

The study could just as easily have read 100% of the people affected had used their mobile phone or consumed bread at the time they were exposed to the pathogen, hence using the multiplier equation we could deduce that 3,500,000 people may have gotton sick by using their mobiles or eating bread but didn't report it.
                            "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

Comment

Legal prescription drugs used as the doctor ordered kill 225,000 people in the US every year. Where is the news about that?

People have been using raw milk for thousands of years now all of a sudden its a problem. Yep its a problem alright its a problem for big dairy but not for small dairymen whose cows eat grass and are not subjected to the health destroying filth of corporate cattle. Just one example of our freedom to make a choice being taken away by the corporate empire known as the USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X