Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study shows Tour de France riders live significantly longer (6.7 years)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study shows Tour de France riders live significantly longer (6.7 years)

Study: Tour de France riders live longer - VeloNews.com

How does this study square up with problems of constant cardio that Mark writes about. Some possibilities include (a) that constant cardio isn't that bad for you or (b) at least isn't permanently bad, (c) these cyclists do most riding below 75% or 80% max HR, or (c) they have changed their exercise routine since retiring.

Living longer than the average person is not particularly special. Maybe they'd live even longer if they dropped the chronic cardio and maintained their healthy habits.
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Comment

They're more fit in general than the average. Also, if you're riding above 75-80% HR, you're not going to last long.

Also, clearly this means we all need to start using performance enhancing drugs.

M.

Comment

You know, some smart PEDs or "gear" as the body builders call it isn't a bad idea. Increase or just maintain your lean muscle mass as you age is a good thing. Just another CW stigma that will probably never change.

Comment

Originally posted by stoney56 View Post
          You know, some smart PEDs or "gear" as the body builders call it isn't a bad idea. Increase or just maintain your lean muscle mass as you age is a good thing. Just another CW stigma that will probably never change.
          I will absolutely go on some sort of doctor-controlled, low-level HGH or similar protocol as I get older. Maintain muscle, keep joints healthy...what's the downside? None, if you do it right.

As to the bike riders...being above average in this day and age is no huge accomplishment...they're high level athletes; of course they live longer.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

Causation vs correlation...
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              I will absolutely go on some sort of doctor-controlled, low-level HGH or similar protocol as I get older.
              How old are you talking about here?
              "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalHunter View Post
                How old are you talking about here?
                I don't know. I figure I'll know when it's time, but I'd guess somewhere near 50?

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Comment

There was a study in 1993 that came to a similar conclusion vis-a-vis endurance athletes (TdF riders would fit) compared to other athletes and non-athletes.

I lifted this from wiki:

What is the average lifespan among professional athletes

Med Sci Sports Exerc 1993, Volume 25, pages 237-244
                  Increased life expectancy of world class male athletes

The study found the following life expectancies, when world class
                  athletes were compared with each other and a reference group of
                  non-athletes "The mean LE adjusted for occupational group, marital
                  status, and the age at entry to the cohort (and its 95% confidence
                  limits) was in endurance sports (long distance running and
                  cross-country skiing) 75.6 (73.6, 77.5) yr; in team games (soccer, ice
                  hockey, basketball, as well as jumpers and short-distance runners from
                  track and field (73.9 (72.7, 75.1) yr; in power sports (boxing,
                  wrestling, weight lifting, and throwers from field athletics) 71.5
                  (70.4, 72.2) yr; and in the reference group 69.9 (69.0, 70.9) yr." The
                  increase in life expectancy found in athletes was mainly due to
                  decreased cardiovascular mortality and participation in team sports.

Comment

Working...
                  X