Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animals also getting fatter

Interesting study

"Our pets are becoming obese, as well as pests and vermin…but bafflingly, so have laboratory rats given the same controlled diets that have been in use for decades."

https://disinfo.com/2013/08/animals-...etting-fatter/

It's curious.

Comment

Some people say it's like how animals can feel earthquakes and natural disasters before they happen, they are sensing a coming ice age so they are storing more fat.

Comment

beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
          Hehehe! Love that!

My cat went Primal before I did. Switched her to grain-free, soy-free food and she lost her pendulum stomach. Lazes around a little less too.

Folks think our pets need heart healthy whole grains for some ridiculous reason.
          "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Comment

was at a cook-out recently and there were lots of neighborhood dogs in the fray, many of whom were definitely fat and slow-moving. all those owners had tales of woe about their dog's cavities and gum disease issues. it was a totally wtf moment for me, but they all were feeding the dogs doritos, hot dog buns, cookies, etc. one lady said she made mac and cheese "just for the dog" because he loved it so much.

my gawd people are profoundly stoopid.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Um... Did you notice that this article comes from a site called disinfo.com? Short for Disinformation, the proudly displayed title of the news site?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill C View Post
                Um... Did you notice that this article comes from a site called disinfo.com? Short for Disinformation, the proudly displayed title of the news site?
                Well I don't actually think it means what you think though....From the about page:

"Disinfo.com, our web presence, collects the most shocking, unusual and quirkiest news articles, podcasts and videos on the web, most of which are submitted by the site’s visitors. It is our intent that Disinformation becomes news that you did not know you needed … based on the idea that anyone can define what news is today in our hypermediated, cybercultural world. If you would like to join us in this task, just read on."

https://disinfo.com/about/

Plus I recall seeing this elsewhere. It has been around and reported on prior to this site.

Comment

The problem is that people don't actually know what's in their food. A Russian lady I knew moved here and gained 50 pounds eating "the same food". But it's not the same food. You know as well as I do that growers consistently try to put as much petroleum-based chemicals and vegetable-based oils into their food. The amount of "food" in people's "food" is constantly decreasing and being replaced with more and more toxic byproducts. It still looks like a noodle, but if you saw how they made it, you'd never eat it - unlike the noodles 100 years ago.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    The problem is that people don't actually know what's in their food. A Russian lady I knew moved here and gained 50 pounds eating "the same food". But it's not the same food. You know as well as I do that growers consistently try to put as much petroleum-based chemicals and vegetable-based oils into their food. The amount of "food" in people's "food" is constantly decreasing and being replaced with more and more toxic byproducts. It still looks like a noodle, but if you saw how they made it, you'd never eat it - unlike the noodles 100 years ago.
                    Totally agree, Knife. Animals that eat our non-foods will suffer the same consequences as us. Even wild animals.

Comment

Well, my Himalayan cat, Bailey, is going to turn 18 in 2 months. He is still going strong and has been on Primal, grain-free food for most of this life. While he does have some health problems, the vet said he is doing WAY better than other cats his age and should be around for a few more years.

Comment

Drives me crazy when you see a tiny packet of bone shaped biscuits in the shop at $4 a packet, and yet yesterday I bought a side of beef brisket bones - about 2kg - for $5. (funny, the butcher expected me to walk away with this in a small plastic bag, I had to ask to get it cut up - it was half a cows rib cage, about 2 feet long)

TV vets and vet shows go on about a healthy diet for dogs being low fat/ low calorie kibble ffs.
                        "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

Originally posted by thinkmonkeys View Post
                          Interesting study

"Our pets are becoming obese, as well as pests and vermin…but bafflingly, so have laboratory rats given the same controlled diets that have been in use for decades."

https://disinfo.com/2013/08/animals-...etting-fatter/

One word: Light.

There's plenty of evidence that light-pollution from electric lights and gadgets, streetlamps, TVs, mobile phones, and computer screens can interfere with one's biochemistry pretty badly. See, for example, Lights Out:

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival: T. S. Wiley, Bent Formby: 9780671038687: Amazon.com: Books

Also see this from the Caveman Doctor:

Sleeping Away Cancer - Caveman Doctor

Further ... I haven't looked at Dr. Kruse's site for some months now, but he tends to have a fair bit on this, too. See for example:

BRAIN GUT 11: IS TECHNOLOGY AN ACHILLES HEEL? | Living an Optimized Life

You miss all this if you think only in terms of food.

It's kinda interesting that Kitava had no electricity supply, when Lindeberg was there, isn't it? Kitava for those who don't know:

TheKitavaStudy

You hear people in the Ancestral Health movement who have a taste for carbs making a big deal of the fact that there were plenty of these around on Kitava. True enough. But was the Kitavans' health (such as it was -- they are, among other things, rather small) purely down to diet? Maybe they were healthy in spite of, rather than because of, the carbs. And maybe the absence of electric light actually had something to do with it.

And here's another -- maybe not being overheated with central heating has some impact, too.

If you read Staffan Lindeberg's original papers, you find he had to run his equipment -- centrifuges and whatnot -- off a portable generator. No electricity. Maybe that mattered to Kitava in a way that had never occurred to Lindeberg.

I've been around the houses ... The point I wanted to make is this: our pets (unlike wild animals) live with us and, consequently, are exposed, like us, to light-pollution. I think it unlikely that this doesn't matter.

Comment

no light means no electricity which means no excess EMF.......that is paleo/primal's missing link. EMF Rx: The Top Ten EMF FAQs | Living an Optimized Life
                            EMF 2: Einstein, Meet Leptin | Living an Optimized Life how mass equivalence and energy are related in all neolithic diseases based upon the laws of nature not man's beliefs.

Comment

We have 8 cats, each of which gets a measured portion. Otherwise 6 would look like beach balls and 2 would be seriously underweight.

Comment

Working...
                              X