Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast linked to 'healthy heart'

BBC News - Breakfast linked to 'healthy heart'

Er, maybe those who skip breakfast (and eat a typical SAD) then gorge themselves on utter crap when they do eat.
    I call bullshit on this, are they relying on people being honest about food intake?
    Would people admit a breakfast of donuts, or just deny it entirely?

I saw this on NPR's website as well... Wow. I was just shaking my head. Mark?

Why Skipping Breakfast Might Raise Risk Of Heart Disease : The Salt : NPR

Comment

Years back I recall reading about a study where they (researchers funded by cereal manufacturers) tried to gauge the healthfulness of a breakfast of cereal. They compared it with all others grouped together. So people eating eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast, and fruit were lumped together with people who get up too late to eat breakfast and are going to eat a doughnut later, pizza for lunch, and potato chips for supper. That makes so much sense. Not.

Comment

Eating breakfast can cut heart attack risk – puh-lease! | Zoe Harcombe
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I made a post in another thread about this, but I might as well post the same thing here.

Here's a similar application of the results of this study: most professional athletes have nice cars, therefore to become a professional athlete, you must buy a nice car.

Correction does not equal causation, and this study sucks. ^Great rebuttal in the link above as well.
          My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Very awesome rebuttal! I am so sick of crappy "research".

Comment

Maybe the breakfast eaters are eating oats.

Comment

Very awesome rebuttal! I am so sick of crappy "research". thank you

Comment

NPR should have focused their reporting on this:

"Men who skipped breakfast had a 27% higher risk of CHD compared with men who did not (relative risk, 1.27; 95% confidence interval, 1.06–1.53). Compared with men who did not eat late at night, those who ate late at night had a 55% higher CHD risk (relative risk, 1.55; 95% confidence interval, 1.05–2.29)"

How much you wager those who ate late at night didn't feel hungry the next morning and skipped their morning breakfast?

Where is that study?

Comment

People I know who eat large meals at night do so mainly because they allow themselves to be too busy and "stressed" during the day to eat, especially at breakfast, and have fallen in love with the Gordon Gekko-esque "lunch is for wimps" mentality.

The other type of person I know who eats a lot at night is mainly women who are trying to diet via calorie counting and "save" their calories for night-time, in hopes of feeling full and satisfied before bed, and when the high-carb/low fat food they've chosen fails to do that, and their willpower is depleted from a day of battling their own bodies, they tend to binge on biscuits (cookies) and other crud.

There may be other reasons but this is the selection based on real people I know well enough in offline life to know about the way they eat.

Choosing to make time to eat breakfast usually says something about that person prioritising nutrition over busy-work, so they probably eat less outright processed crap, no matter what their views on issues like saturated fat and wholegrains etc may be. Just my observations there.

Comment

Breakfast: in a hurry, pick up a cup of coffee on the way into work.
                      Late morning snack: candy bar and diet soda.
                      Lunch: Chips.
                      Mid-afternoon snack: candy bar, cup of coffee.
                      Supper: jumbo pizza, 2-L bottle of soda, 6 pack of beer.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        Breakfast: in a hurry, pick up a cup of coffee on the way into work.
                        Late morning snack: candy bar and diet soda.
                        Lunch: Chips.
                        Mid-afternoon snack: candy bar, cup of coffee.
                        Supper: jumbo pizza, 2-L bottle of soda, 6 pack of beer.
                        LOL....do you realize how many people eat JUST LIKE THAT?!?!? I shake my head in wonder.......
                        The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                        SW - 192
                        CW - 180
                        GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnyard View Post
                          LOL....do you realize how many people eat JUST LIKE THAT?!?!? I shake my head in wonder.......
                          Oh, yes. I used to work with women who ate like this:

Breakfast: skip breakfast, gonna be good today and eat hardly anything
                          Mid-morning snack: half a pastry, coffee
                          Late morning snack: diet soda
                          Lunch: Half a tortilla, salad from the salad bar to go on the tortilla, diet soda
                          Mid-afternoon snack: run to the cafeteria and buy a pound of bulk candy, leave the bag for everybody to snack from
                          Supper: plan a small supper, but binge all night. I don't understand why I'm so weak. I try so hard to eat healthy. I need to try harder tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            Supper: plan a small supper, but binge all night. I don't understand why I'm so weak. I try so hard to eat healthy. I need to try harder tomorrow.
                            Yes, THAT! Ye gods...

Mistaking the actual effects of a terrible diet for some kind of moral and personal weakness is the number one thing I'd like to see eradicated for women in the UK, US as well I'm sure, how many hours get wasted in futile self-hate when the reality is a rebound binge from starvation mingled with excess consumption of the wrong foods, and the wrong types of carb especially?

Comment

Working...
                            X