Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Einkorn, the original Wheat - OK for Celiacs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Einkorn, the original Wheat - OK for Celiacs?

Lack of intestinal mucosal toxicity of... [Scand J Gastroenterol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Maybe it is. Most production in the US is for birdseed. The birds eat better than we do.

How to bake with it: http://foodloveswriting.com/2013/01/...korn-giveaway/
    I've read that it doesn't rise as much as today's hybred flours but I wonder if this is worth a try.

Baking bread the old fashioned way is dead easy and takes almost no kneading; certainly no machine. But it does require a few hours of time during which the dough 'rests'.

Has anyone tried this?
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-26-2013, 08:21 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

I wouldn't eat it. I have a very low tolerance for risk. It's not worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      I wouldn't eat it. I have a very low tolerance for risk. It's not worth it to me.
      I certainly agree with that. But I was wondering what it taste like in bread and how it cooks. I'm amazed that it's still possible to buy it. It's also possible to buy emmer wheat but there are many kinds and I haven't taken the trouble to find the earliest one. The Landrace types from Turkey and near there are a later variety.

And truthfully, I do sometimes cheat and eat an English Muffin (commercial). This would probably be a lot healthier than that.
      Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-26-2013, 08:40 PM.
      "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

My guess is it would make heavy, solid bread. Think the sort of coarse flatbread that Roman soldiers may have eaten. It's low in gluten, so it won't rise much.

Comment

I'm inagining women pounding stones on kernals and eating a fair amount of stone grit with it. Doesn't really sound too good, yet I'm curious. Apparently it's difficult to seperate from the chaff and from the outer hull. But just buying stone-ground Einkorn four avoids all that.

Comment

Because of my autoimmune disease/wheat issues I also certainly wouldn't go there...

But I think that if people in general want to eat wheat and grains the old ones such as this is exactly where they should go, as well as old forms of preparation like soaking and sourdough.

I think it would cut down on many of the issues that are most likely becoming more prevalent because of GM grains.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Cori, I have read the Weston A. Price pages on soaking, sprouting, and souring. Basically it sounds like a lot of work. You'd have to be someone who regularly baked bread and were committed to it, or just enjoyed the baking process a lot. That's not me. If I were going to blow it somewhere I'd probably go the route of soaking legumes.

Still, having read and heard so much about the original wheat, it falls (almost) into the grass-fed beef stlye of eating. Almost, but not quite.

http://www.einkorn.com/toxicity-of-einkorn-gluten/
              Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-26-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Meh... I think I could live without the sprouting TBH.

And with soaking/souring it's really no work at all. You put things in a bowl, you leave them, you come back and touch them again later and use them for the next step... it's like making kefir.
                Mostly you just leave it alone. It sounds like work, but it's doing the work while you are at work yourself, out hiking, or sitting on MDA.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I used to make bread from rye I sprouted myself and natural yeast fermented from the soaking water. It was very tasty.

But despite the dedication of the WAP people to soaking, sprouting, and fermenting grains, I have never once seen an analysis that shows that bread made by those methods are reliably gluten free. I have never seen any analysis of such bread at all. That's what it would take for me to consider eating any cereal grain product.

Comment

I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

M.

Comment

Einkorn is good, but contains more allergens than spelt. When I have grain in any amount it's usually spelt, due to availability and the fact it causes no harm to me at all.

HOWEVER, for coeliacs neither may be good enough. Both still contain gluten. Best avoided if you're especially intolerant or truly allergic.
                      --
                      Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                      I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                        I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

M.
                        Great! Be sure to let us know what happened and how it is, Please.

Comment

I'll try. Pretty pricey, and my OCD demands I grind that shiz by hand after sprouting...which I've never done before. Querns costs 1,000...hm.

I may also give spelt a go. Roman citizens apparently ate spelt, and I'm all for reconstructive archaeology.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                            I'll try. Pretty pricey, and my OCD demands I grind that shiz by hand after sprouting...which I've never done before. Querns costs 1,000...hm.
                            I used to grind fresh sprouted rye in a blender. It's soft and doesn't require a mill. Of course, at that point I added wheat flour, because sprouted rye in itself didn't have enough gluten to make a proper loaf of bread. Those were the days.

Comment

Prime Grains 1 lb $2.24 + shipping

It's now at Whole Foods, but it may not be stone ground. Einkorn now in Whole Foods | Track Your Plaque Blog . Tropical Traditions also does not say, but it does say it's 'extracted' which doesn't sound good.

Demeter Farm Mill | Growers & Suppliers

http://eorganic.info/sites/eorganic....0Handout_0.pdf Einkorn, Emmer and Spelt are all very different.
                              Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-27-2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X